Favourite Authors

Which are your favourite authors!? It’s not about who you think are the best, just which you enjoy reading the most.

It’s list time bitches!

Contemporary/ Last 50 years:

1. Martin Amis
  2. Kurt Vonnegut
  3. Hunter S. Thompson
  4. Chuck Palahniuk
  5. Stephen Fry

Other:
  6. Marcel Proust
  7. Oscar Wilde
  8. Robert Louis Stevenson
  9. James Joyce
  10. Max Beerbohm

Classical antiquity:
  11. Ovid
  12. Vergil
  13. Aeschylus
  14. Euripides
  15. Sophocles

Poetry (Not from antiquity):
  16. W. B. Yeats
  17. C. Baudelaire
  18. P. B. Shelley
  19. W. H. Auden
  20. John Betjeman

I’m 100% Baudelaire when it comes to poetry

Ahah, every French is. Same for Rimbaud and Verlaine.

Fiction Authors (all time best):

1.Thomas Pynchon

2.Sherwood Anderson

3.Cormac McCarthy

4.James Joyce

5.F. Scott Fitzgerald

General Writers (Journalists, Essayists, Fiction/Non-fiction):

1.Norman Mailer

2.Hunter S. Thompson

3.H.L. Mencken

4.Groucho Marx

5.David Simon

Poets:

1.e.e. cummings

2.T.S. Eliot

3.Robert Frost

4.Walt Whitman

5.Samuel Taylor Coleridge

All time best of any genre: Thomas Pynchon

Fiction authors :

J.D. Salinger

James Ellroy

Elmore Leonard

Raymond Carver

[quote=“cyber-lili”]Fiction authors :

J.D. Salinger

James Ellroy

Elmore Leonard

Raymond Carver[/quote]

That’s it?

I’m gonna think of the rest of the list later. I know of course my fav poets, though they’re only French cause I think reading poetry in another langage than my native one isn’t the same. And reading translated poetry, that’s not really poetry.

Here are my fav poets :

Baudelaire

Rimbaud

Verlaine

Jacques Prévert

Appolinaire

Oh and gotta add, how could I forget him in my fav fiction authors : John Fante, I really LOVE him.

I could do my top of favorite philosophers, not sure they fit in.

I’m kinda down for easy reads like Douglas Kennedy or Harlan Coben when it comes to fiction. I read a bit of fantasy/sci fi novels from Philip K. Dick and Frederic Brown: good stuff.

It’s sad how coming here makes me feel I don’t quite watch enough movies, and now it makes me feel like I don’t read enough books (that I knew already, but I really lack of culture here).

I also started reading Belle Du Seigneur by Albert Coen, 2 years ago…I mean it’s a great book but the digressions turned me down and I left it in a corner of the different rooms I had during those 2 years and never got to finish it. I think it becomes great from the middle, but I’m still not there.

The one and only Mikhail Boulgakov :-*

Kurt Vonnegut,

Cormac McCarthy,

Richard Price,

George Pelecanos,

Dennis Lehane,

Chuck Palahniuk,

David Simon,

& Hunter Thompson.

Honorable mentions to;

Walter Mosley

& Gordon Parks.

Chuck Palahniuk is the epitome of everything I hate in writing.

[quote=“F.W.”]Chuck Palahniuk is the epitome of everything I hate in writing.[/quote]

Very well, then. :)

[quote=“Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth”][quote=“F.W.”]Chuck Palahniuk is the epitome of everything I hate in writing.[/quote]

Very well, then. :)[/quote]

I was hoping that’d spark discussion but it appears you’re as good with words as he is. ::slight_smile:

Sorry, once again. You know I can’t possibly match wits w/ you…

I do hope I haven’t lost the very last little bit of confidence you may have had in me.

[quote=“Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth”]Sorry, once again. You know I can’t possibly match wits w/ you…

I do hope I haven’t lost the very last little bit of confidence you may have had in me.[/quote]

I wish you’d stop the sarcastic excuses and just discuss already. Otherwise it’s pretty fucking boring.

I was actually being sincere.

Well, since you asked, what is it about him that you despise so much?

[quote=“Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth”]I was actually being sincere.

Well, since you asked, what is it about him that you despise so much?[/quote]

He’s like Lars Von Trier, he’s a shockateur and there’s no basis for it. I love when people fuck with mass audiences for satire sake but when the satire behind it all is weak, there’s no point. His stories are like he just skimmed through the sad old stories of perverts and sex addicts (which he did) without finding any of the things that could make them legitimately interesting and biting. His prose is hailed as original but to me it’s boring and in comparison with guys like Pynchon and Vonnegut, it’s ugly.

I can certainly understand your point of view. Honestly, I’m not even entirely sure why I enjoy his work as much as I do.

As far as originality goes, his narrative style is the only thing particularly original about his work. I’ll also admit

that he never seems to truly explore any of his characters w/ any intriguing degree of depth. But, for some odd

reason, I find his novels to be incrediby entertaining. Once I’ve started reading one, I can’t seem to stop.

I guess you could say I enjoy his books the same way that I enjoy a well-made, yet sleazy & shallow exploitation flick.

It damn sure ain’t gonna have much, if anything, in the way of anything new or innovative to say about humanity,

but, God help me, I can’t look away.

[quote=“Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth”]I can certainly understand your point of view. Honestly, I’m not entirely sure why I enjoy his work as much as I do.

As far as originality goes, his narrative style is the only thing particularly original about his work. I’ll also admit

that he never seems to truly explore any of his characters w/ any intriguing degree of depth. But, for some odd

reason, I find his novels to be incrediby entertaining. Once I’ve started reading one, I can’t seem to stop.

I guess you could say I enjoy his books the same way that I enjoy a well-made, yet sleazy & shallow exploitation flick.

It damn sure ainn’t gonna have much, if anything, in the way of anything new or innovative to say about humanity,

but, God help me, I can’t look away.[/quote]

If you read Thomas Pynchon I guarantee you’d get both a life changing experience out of it with deep insights into humanity as well as the satisfaction of an exploitation film. In Gravity’s Rainbow he explores WWII in the form of a story about a man who’s erections predict the landings of the Nazi’s V-2 Rockets in London. There’s a giant adenoid blob that gets fought. A pie fight between the hero in a balloon and an American Officer in a fighter plane. There’s gay sex, regular sex, an old crazy colonel drinks piss and eats shit, Pavlov’s dog theory is applied to get an octopus to seduce a woman. It’s all fucking there and with incredible thought deep in the darkness.

I forgot to mention my favorite part when an Lieutenant gets a coded message and has to masturbate on it to reveal the text so it comes in the form of a photo of a naked woman.