Ezekiel 25:17

In Pulp fiction there are 2 instances where Jules spouts the famous Ezekiel 25:17 speech , but why is it different in the diner than in the apartment. In the apartment he ends the speech with “And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.” In the diner he ends the speech with.“And you will know I am the lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.” I’m sure this is one of Quentin’s intentional “little differences” seen throughout the film but can anyone give me a reason why?

I think its because before like Jules said, he thought it was just some cool shit to say before he popped a cap in someone’s ass. The second time he began to internalize the meaning of the words and look at the speech from a different perspective.

Thank you. ;D

Guess I never really thought of it like that look at my Butch and Vince post maybe you could shed some light on that too

How come the one in the Bodyguard never got famous? It just occured to me when i was looking through old topics and saw this one. And i thought, yeah they took that line from the Bodyguard, and yet not many people really know that…

[quote=“Angel”]
How come the one in the Bodyguard never got famous? It just occured to me when i was looking through old topics and saw this one. And i thought, yeah they took that line from the Bodyguard, and yet not many people really know that…
[/quote]The Bodyguard sucks major Munky dick!!!

[quote=“Mr.Pink17”]
In Pulp fiction there are 2 instances where Jules spouts the famous Ezekiel 25:17 speech , but why is it different in the diner than in the apartment. In the apartment he ends the speech with “And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.” In the diner he ends the speech with.“And you will know I am the lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.” I’m sure this is one of Quentin’s intentional “little differences” seen throughout the film but can anyone give me a reason why?
[/quote]

You are under the impression that Jules is an Oxford graduate. He’s a fucking street thug. Do you really think that he’s going to memorize a bible verse and get it right each time? Hell, it’s not even a verse in the bible. You are putting way too much thought into this.

maybe qt didnt think anyone will spot the difference.

[quote=“killerinstinct”]
maybe qt didnt think anyone will spot the difference.
[/quote]
Maybe.

New Zion Baptist Church

Pastor: Jules Winfield

26 November, 2006: How you can prepare for God’s judgement at the pearly gates.

“Thee” = "You"

It has the same meaning.

[quote=“ThaDuke”]
“Thee” = "You"

It has the same meaning.
[/quote]

Oh yeah I sayest THEE SHUT THE FUCK UP DONNIE!

When Jules says it the second time, he is making it personal. He sees the meaning differently now and wants Pumpkin to listen and understand. The King James English is archaic and therefore separates Jules from the deeper understanding he later comes to find. It is distancing him emotionally from his targets. Pumpkin and Honey Bunny are not his targets but two people he can sympathies with and hopefully enlighten with his newfound insight. By saying “you” he is speaking directly to Pumpkin and imparting a life lesson. This shows Jules’ progression from a Subjective “being” to an Objective “person” that cares for other humans and does not just “do his job”. IMHO :wink:

[quote=“El Ray cannibal”]
When Jules says it the second time, he is making it personal. He sees the meaning differently now and wants Pumpkin to listen and understand. The King James English is archaic and therefore separates Jules from the deeper understanding he later comes to find. It is distancing him emotionally from his targets. Pumpkin and Honey Bunny are not his targets but two people he can sympathies with and hopefully enlighten with his newfound insight. By saying “you” he is speaking directly to Pumpkin and imparting a life lesson. This shows Jules’ progression from a Subjective “being” to an Objective “person” that cares for other humans and does not just “do his job”. IMHO :wink:
[/quote]

yeahup yeahup…

Holy shit that’s one great first post. And people call me analytical.

Thanks. ;D It just sort of poured out of me.

I think you’ll fit in just right here…lol