Ever Been Disappointed?

i don’t think that is what he means… i think he meant that QT didn’t really repeated himself, which is true!

I agree with Seb.

[quote=“Sebastian”]i think the stuff he’s done in the 90s is not even half way up to the level of filmmaking shown in for example Kill Bill for example.[/quote]

true. Even QT said in retrospective that KB is his biggest accomplishment.

The level of professionality in Kill Bill, film-making, directing, writing, EVERYTHING is miles away and far better from Reservoir Dogs. Don’t let nostalgia fool you.

[quote=“Sebastian”]
and again DP is not even supposed to be a great masterpiece, why is everyone bashing it for not being something it doesnt even try to be
[/quote]

since i am the only one who posted smg negative about DP on this topic, I assume, you are refering to me… and i disagree w you… In qt’s mind DP is supposed to be a sort of masterpiece… he kept repeating in every single interview that his goal with this film was to direct the best car chase in film history… he didn’t want to do a quick/fun exploitation film, he wanted it to be the best slasher and the best car chasing movie ever made, that’s rather ambitious!

in an exploitation sort of way though. and dont tell me that car chase wasn’t amazing

i said i had been disapointed by the film because first and foremost it is supposed to be a slasher, and i was expecting a slasher, and as a slasher the film doesn’t delivers, except for a couple of scenes… the final car chase is great, but i didn’t feel connected to the girls so it left me a bit cold. i like the first crash better… also as a pure exploitation film, it’s not near as good as kill bill vol.1, which is a masterpiece.

A movie cannot be called a good movie just for a car chase.

Death Proof was a stinker.

haha whatever, I had tons of fun watching Grindhouse…

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
I agree with Seb.

The level of professionality in Kill Bill, film-making, directing, writing, EVERYTHING is miles away and far better from Reservoir Dogs. Don’t let nostalgia fool you.
[/quote]

Very good point Kenneth.

Kinick, Tony, and Cyd. I get that you didn’t like DP as much, but there’s no way it sucked. It was what it was supposed to be, a modern-day reinvention of a 70’s-style exploitation flick, and it was done well. What is the huge flaw? Maybe you don’t like any of those 70’s grindhouse movies either.

[quote=“Sebastian”]
that’s the part I don’t buy. what’s the criteria here? the cultural impact? i think the stuff he’s done in the 90s is not even half way up to the level of filmmaking shown in for example Kill Bill for example.

if you’re saying you love his early movies because you grew up with them, then ok, but i dont see which sort of criteria would clearly make his latest movies anything worse than the previous ones. and again DP is not even supposed to be a great masterpiece, why is everyone bashing it for not being something it doesnt even try to be
[/quote]

Story.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
[/quote]

Don’t let Quentin fool you. I saw an interview the other day where QT said that if he had to be remembered by one film it would Pulp Fiction. Sometimes he answers RD too. He knows they are his greatest films. As do the majority of the film world.

[quote=“Kinick”]
Story.
[/quote]

Huh?

[quote=“Geoi”]
Huh?
[/quote]

Yeah, you know, that thing which is a foundation for a film? The thing on paper? Not surprised you were unsure there considering how you can consider a film like Death Proof to be better than Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction. :laugh:

[quote=“Cyd”]
Death Proof was a stinker.
[/quote]

The sooner everyone realises this, the better.

[quote=“Kinick”]
The sooner everyone realises this, the better.
[/quote]

the better for what/who? it’s an entertaining flick with a friggin awesome car chase. it was tons of fun to watch, and it has one crazy ass Tarantino villian… if you call this a stinker then I have my doubts about your taste in movies. I give you that, it aint Quentin’s best work, writing wise, but calling it a stinker? what are you people smoking?

[quote=“Sebastian”]
it’s an entertaining flick with a friggin awesome car chase. it was tons of fun to watch
[/quote]

No it isn’t. Reservoir Dogs is an entertaining flick, Pulp Fiction is an entertaining flick. Kill Bill is an entertaining flick. Death Proof is boring flick. Stuntman Mike was a joke. It takes more than an awesome car chase to make something entertaining. Action alone does not do it for me. Which is why I think KB 2 is much stronger than the first half and more pleasurable to watch.

[quote=“Kinick”]I saw an interview the other day where QT said that if he had to be remembered by one film it would Pulp Fiction.[/quote]

Well that makes sense, since he is appreciated more for PF than for Kill Bill. If I were a director, I would want to be remembered too for a movie that had that much impact.

Which brings us to another issue: Just because Pulp Fiction had more (cultural, filmhistorical) impact doesn’t mean it’s better than Kill Bill. I don’t want to judge these movies based on this impact, critical reception, popularity, etc.

[quote=“Kinick”]The sooner everyone realises this, the better.
[/quote]

What?? I bet you don’t watch a lot of B-pictures and pop culture hits, do you? You are a man of superior taste, is that it? Funny thing, that his first two pictures attracted a lot of film snobs like you probably are.

fine. don’t watch it then. maybe I saw a different DP. the one I saw 5 times at the theater, people cheered and applauded

[quote=“Kinick”]
Death Proof is boring flick. Stuntman Mike was a joke.[/quote]

Well I watched it 4 evenings in a row, so obviously I disagree. The Stuntman Mike character was perfect and very interesting. It seems you had (like many other people) the wrong expectations. Neither was it much of a slasher movie (I agree with you on that) nor was Kurt Russel portraying a badass.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
It seems you had (like many other people) the wrong expectations. Neither was it much of a slasher movie (I agree with you on that) nor was Kurt Russel portraying a badass.
[/quote]

It seems so. It seems like a lot of us wanted an entertaining film, that didn’t bore us into oblivion. Our expectations were too high in that case. I never expected it to be much of a slasher either though, although that’s its main theme/genre. I wanted to just enjoy the ride, so I’m not one of those who complain that it wasn’t a slasher or they weren’t scraed. People didn’t complain when they didn’t get what they’re used to in heist or crime films. But what we got in its place here was girls talking trash for two hours…boring. No story. Quentin indulging himself because he can. Sorry for the wrong expectations like. But just expand your thinking for a minute and look at the general consensus on the film and maybe then it will help you understand why there’s so many people who don’t like it (including QT fans) and you wont have to get so defensive when people bash it or try to describe why they were disappointed: Mark Kermode Reviews Death Proof on 5 Live - YouTube (I’ve always hated his views on QT, but this review on DP is my favourite ever) Just look at the comments, you would never see that on anything QT done in the 90’s or even Kill Bill. Here it’s almost unanimous. But I’m glad you got as much entertainment out of it as you did.

[quote=“Geoi”]
Kinick, Tony, and Cyd. I get that you didn’t like DP as much, but there’s no way it sucked. It was what it was supposed to be, a modern-day reinvention of a 70’s-style exploitation flick, and it was done well. What is the huge flaw?
[/quote]

i never said it sucked… i said i was disapointed when i first saw it. and i am still not sure if i quite like it or not, even though i’ve seen it like 15 times… i was disapointed because i was expecting a slasher and i didn’t get one, and also because i dislike the girls… in the first part, the only one i feel sympathetic with is Pam and, to some extent, butterfly… i would hate a girl like JJ in real life so why should i spend one hour watching her talking b.s. and calling it entertainment?

[quote=“Geoi”]
Maybe you don’t like any of those 70’s grindhouse movies either.
[/quote]

that’s not true, i love them… i have an enormous collection of tapes/poster/soundtracks and even film prints. and i bet i am one of the only person in this forum who actually went to a grindhouse theater to catch double features… before QT chanted their merits. :wink: obviously, i like them grinhouses pictures… and maybe that’s why i was disapointed with the film: i was expecting so much!

[quote=“Kinick”]
It seems so. It seems like a lot of us wanted an entertaining film, that didn’t bore us into oblivion. Our expectations were too high in that case. I never expected it to be much of a slasher either though, although that’s its main theme/genre. I wanted to just enjoy the ride, so I’m not one of those who complain that it wasn’t a slasher or they weren’t scraed. People didn’t complain when they didn’t get what they’re used to in heist or crime films. But what we got in its place here was girls talking trash for two hours…boring. No story. Quentin indulging himself because he can. Sorry for the wrong expectations like. But just expand your thinking for a minute and look at the general consensus on the film and maybe then it will help you understand why there’s so many people who don’t like it (including QT fans) and you wont have to get so defensive when people bash it or try to describe why they were disappointed: Mark Kermode Reviews Death Proof on 5 Live - YouTube (I’ve always hated his views on QT, but this review on DP is my favourite ever) Just look at the comments, you would never see that on anything QT done in the 90’s or even Kill Bill. Here it’s almost unanimous. But I’m glad you got as much entertainment out of it as you did.
[/quote]

Mark Kermode over-exaggerates everything to the point of absurdity. I’ve seen his reviews for the Kill Bill Volumes, he just doesn’t like QT. I mean saying QT can’t write or direct? That must be the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard him say yet.

[quote=“Kinick”]
[/quote]

Stupid YouTube won’t let me see it (This video is not available in your country) Is it by any chanche the Mark Kermode “review” of Death Proof? But anyway, I don’t think the general consensus of human beings is in any way represented by the degenerated youth known as the YouTube community.

EDIT: So it is the Mark K. review. This guy is a joke. He hates pure entertainment I think, plus himself, his cats, and the size of his penis.

I am aware that the general consensus of audiences is clearly leaning towards the negative side. I am quite baffled about this (I have even made a seperate topic about this issue). See I am trying to understand why people dislike it, but many of the reasons they give I cannot understand. (Boring? Stupid girl talk? Car chase not good? Stuntman Mike not a total badass?) Amazing.

The interesting thing about Tarantino movies is that people seem to love them for various and very different reasons. With Pulp Fiction he managed to satisfy Joe Public, the critics, film buffs and film snobs alike. Same with Kill Bill, minus many the film snobs. At least that’s the way I perceived it. If anybody sees it differently I’ll gladly hear from them.

“But I’m glad you got as much entertainment out of it as you did.”

Thanks, so am I.

I wish there were more directors like him working in the Hollywood system.

“i went to Italy several times to meet with screenwriters and directors, by pretending i was writing a book about them.”

that sounds intersting. Italian cinema has brought us many gems, both in the artsy and in the entertainment department.