DV cameras

I am using Sony DCR-DVD 106 DVD Handycam Camera for my short films. It is very useful and It has a lot of special option like shooting in sepia mod. It costs 300 $ I think

Sepia and black and whit emoders are on every cameras now. I HATE sepia.

you are right actually :slight_smile: The Techlonogy developes quickly I cant follow techlonogy , Who Can know a new camera with 800 GB HDD invested ? Maybe It has already thrown on a market

It depends what type of camera you are looking for and what type of films you want to make.

If you are wanting to look for a HDV camera I’d pay the extra money and go for a Sony EX1 but you will need a good computer system to edit it as it uses advanced cards and it is ‘tapeless’ so you would need a mobile hard drive. It has fantastic colour, great depth of field and very ‘glossy’.

If you want a cheaper HDV camera there is the Panasonic HVX 200, it’s got good 24p, cinematic and it’s also tapeless but not necessarily the best if you want a camera for television work. It’s good for filming in the dark when adjusting the light.

If you want an all round HDV camera that can adapt for filming for television (so you could make some money as well) get a Sony Z1, it’s the most familiar camera for TV and is the general workhorse, but it isn’t very cinematic, the depth of field is a bit flat but great for documentary films and reality stuff. It has top drawer colour on it and is crystal clear, you can do effects such as filming in black and white with shades of red in certain places and automated focus pulling. It’s well within your price range. It’s not good for filming in the dark.

If you’re not bothered about HD and you just want to make films I recommend these cameras:

Panasonic DVX100: This is a fantastic camera for making films, it has that all important ‘gloss’ effect and is very cinematic. Good cinematography with the 24 p, not necessarily the best for television stuff and it can be a little grey at times (but it’s good for moody films). It’s cheap as chips and a great camera. It is easier to use and more reliable than the camera below.

Canon XL1 (or the step up to that) (never used the XLH1 the HD version, costs a bomb not worth it)

It has been said that this is the best camera within the price range on DV that impersonates film, it’s got good colour BUT is a nightmare to match in the editing suite (be prepared to use colour correct a lot), it is also a nightmare to film scenes with windows) but if you’re a semi pro you can use this camera effectively. It’s a great moody camera and the film 28 days Later was shot with it. This is also well within your price range (be prepared to put add ons for film such ventures). This camera is no way suited to TV though.

Hope this helps.

[quote=“Scottish Jimmy”]It depends what type of camera you are looking for and what type of films you want to make.

If you are wanting to look for a HDV camera I’d pay the extra money and go for a Sony EX1 but you will need a good computer system to edit it as it uses advanced cards and it is ‘tapeless’ so you would need a mobile hard drive. It has fantastic colour, great depth of field and very ‘glossy’.

Canon XL1
[/quote]

I personally prefer the P2 to the EX1. The XL1 is indeed a good camera, even if I do find that the raw picture is a little muddy looking.

I know what you mean, plus the EX1 is not the most cinematic but if you were making an epic wildlife film documentary then it’s the best.

The XL1 is a really top drawer camera but you need to have LOADS of patience with it. Canon have sacrificed ease of use and reliability for being similar to film… some would argue the end result, although ok isn’t worth it. But I like it

[quote=“Scottish Jimmy”]The XL1 is a really top drawer camera but you need to have LOADS of patience with it. Canon have sacrificed ease of use and reliability for being similar to film… some would argue the end result, although ok isn’t worth it. But I like it[/quote]

I used the XL1 because of a nice Wide Angle I had for it. And the end result, I was pleased with. But I had to give it a little contrast in post. But “glossy” doesn’t mean much to me, so when I say that XL1 is a little muddy, it’s not necessarily a bad thing. I kind of like it.