DV cameras

yeah If I could spend like 4000-5000 euros I would mos def buy the canon…but i dont want to spend that kind of money… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m fourteen, and I’m an independant movie maker. Don’t take my age as a sign that I know nothing. I do.

I use Final Draft to write my scripts, and I have a loyal troupe to do my acting.

I, just the other day, ordered a Sony DCR-TRV255E Digital-8 camera. Named “the best movie for makign independant movies”, it’s got everything you’ll need. SteadyShot, to keep whatever in focus, without shake. Nightvision. And, with a firewire, play with ti on your computer.

[quote=“holdemmrpink”]
I’m also looking to buy a camera but I’m talking more like $300-$400. Any suggestions?
[/quote]

get a job

spend as little as possible don’t go for broke I would highly recommend against spending everything you have on DV. It just simply isn’t worth it. Color rendering everything I really don’t want to get into here but theres a lot tht needs to be improved.

Got a the 100a panasonic for sale if your interested get back.

super low hours (barely used)

Here is an excellent forum for DV camera users.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/

It’s specifically targetted at Panasonic DVX 100 users, but they do comparisons with and have forums for other cameras like:

JVC ProHD, Canon XL2 and Sony HD-FX.

An awesome site, with great members and cool movie clips.

[quote=“Jonah”]
I’m fourteen, and I’m an independant movie maker. Don’t take my age as a sign that I know nothing. I do.

I use Final Draft to write my scripts, and I have a loyal troupe to do my acting.

I, just the other day, ordered a Sony DCR-TRV255E Digital-8 camera. Named “the best movie for makign independant movies”, it’s got everything you’ll need. SteadyShot, to keep whatever in focus, without shake. Nightvision. And, with a firewire, play with ti on your computer.
[/quote]

Sorry but a $300 cam-corder isn’t the best cam for making independant movies. For a numbers of reasons:

1. Doesn’t have NTSC color bars
  2. Can’t control shutter speed
  3. No white balance
  4. No XLR jacks
  5. Not even a focus ring. (Note that I said a focus RING)
  6. It only has 1 CCD chip in it.

There’s a reason why it’s only $300-400.

Like I said before, if people want a decent quality camera that you could actually shoot “semi-professional” movies with, you’re going to have to dish out at least $3000.

DUDE, HOLLYWOOD SUCKS. DOESN"T MATTER IF YOURE RICH, INDIE IS THE WAY. ZACH BRAFF ROCKS, HES HOTT TOO, SO IS NATALIE PORTMAN!!! ANYONE THINKING WHAT IM THINKING??? THREESOME ALL THE WAYY!!! INDIE TOO!!!

no im jk dude

Depends on your level of vide production knowledge/experience.

Beginning Filmmaking-Those Panasonic 3 chip babes that are cheapo and cool and really small $500

Intermeddiate-Those bad ass Panasonic DVx100a’s or w/e the new model is

Advanced- Don’t even go there, no need to. Doesn’t pertain to the needs of the poster.

I have a xl1 and it is pretty bad-ass I wouldnt mind getting my hands on a xl2. But me and a friend put together videos for “clients” i guess and we borrowed a GL2 and the picture on that was not too shabby let me tell you. Im think of buying one as a second unit for extra coverage and also it picks up dark areas a lot better. I would think Hd would be the way to go, but just wondering, what are you using to edit?

The dvx 100 is the best dv camera out. I use it at film school and you get a true 24 frames mode like real film. Here are a few stills from a WWII film I worked on…

Just an example at how awesome the panasonic dvx100a really is…

I’m actually in a few of those shots too as an actor, I’m the one in the middle of the side profile 3 soldiers shot, and the black and white shot is me too, along with the one where my feet are propped up on the railing in the french town

wow. these shots look awesome. where can I watch that film??

hmm, its not really complete but I have a small demo reel that I put together for my editing class at film school. It only uses a few of the shots I posted there. Its basically a docu drama on a WWII Unit. If you want to see the demo reel I’d have to ftp it or something. Its a large file.

OK, post it, it could be really great.

But just a few questions : are you French ? in wich school are you ? and with wich programm do you edit ?

I am not French. I am an American and I attend school at North Carolina’s School of the Arts for Film. My current major is Cinematography but I may switch to editing. Its a huge file though, sum 300megs. How would I do it?

Danny

Great looking pics - good luck w/ your film!

[quote=“Enter_The_Dragon”]
Its a huge file though, sum 300megs. How would I do it?[/quote]

You cut the whole in small parts and upload then.

Nice… ;D

I was thinking of getting one myself… but I don’t think they’re in the thousands price range… but if they are I’m screwed. :-[

[quote=“Bride-To-Be”]
I was thinking of getting one myself… but I don’t think they’re in the thousands price range… but if they are I’m screwed. :-[
[/quote]

I don’t think you could rely on any New camera under $1000 to make a good movie

Holy fuck that’s sharp! I knew that fucking thing was a Godsend I fucking knew it when it first came out!