Dogville

I just watched the 177 minute version of Dogville on DVD. Although it does go overboard on its Anti-American sentiments, It’s still a really powerful film with a really powerful ending. Most people, I think, will just disregard it as pretentious and ideological; it probably is those things but i dont think it takes away from the film. It did get slow in parts but i was totally involved in the vast majority of the film.

I hear that this is Lars von Trier first in his trilogy about Grace. Since Nicole Kidman isn’t able to film the second in the trilogy, Mandalay, I hear he has decided to use a different actress for the two remaining films to play the part of Grace. I believe Bryce Dallas Howard, from M. Night’s The Villiage, has been cast to play Grace in Mandalay.

I’m interested if any others have seen the film. Although, i’m not expecting too many to come to the same conclusion as i did.

isnt this made like a stageplay?

Saw it twice in cinemas here. It´s not one of my favourites, but I have to admit that von Trier did an outstanding job there. That movie is really a unique one. Kidman and Bettany are awesome; the only “disappointment” for me was that great actors like Jeremy Davies had so little screentime.

And yes, Bryce Dallas Howard is playing the lead in MANDERLAY, besides many actors from DOGVILLE.

[quote=“Tarantino Forum Admin”]
isnt this made like a stageplay?
[/quote]
Yeah, the whole movie has no background, it takes place on a stage with the buildings outlined in chalk and a few props (likes desks, chairs, bookcases)

I found the only way to enjoy the movie is to ignore the anti-american ideology and just focus on the characters…I don’t like it when I feel like a movie is preaching to me. But for me the movie worked on a “what goes around comes around” theme, I suppose this is because my favourite movies are character studies instead of movies that attempt to push Big Important Issues. I was excited to see it because of the bizzare concept, but it definitely chugged too slow at times.

Are the next movies just showing Grace visiting another town? Perhaps the town of Manderlay…?

I haven´t found a real plotline description of the movie yet, but I read that it is set in the South and will be shot on a stage just like DOGVILLE.

Check that:

Zeljko Ivanek has replaced John C. Reilly in Lars von Trier´s "MANDERLAY after Reilly reportedly walked off the set in Sweden to protest the killing of a donkey for the film shoot, a spokeswoman for Danish production company Zentropa said on Thursday.

“We did not want to talk about this, but since the news leaked out in the press, we confirm that this did happen,” the spokeswoman said. "We tried very hard to use a puppet instead of a real donkey because we really needed to show a donkey being killed for the film, but when that didn’t work we approached a vet and asked him to provide us with an animal that was due to be slaughtered anyway. Because of the film, this poor donkey lived two more months than it would have otherwise."

In an interview with Agence France-Presse, Zentropa managing director and chief producer of the film Peter Aalbaek Jensen said: “I allow myself a smile faced with this ethical problem of an actor when hundreds of millions of animals are killed every day all over the world without anyone being concerned. The other actors did not have moral problems about the death of the donkey, especially since we gave it a lease on life, and he was killed with dignity, according to Swedish law and in the presence of a veterinarian. John C. Reilly was free to leave the shoot, which he did three weeks ago, and was quickly replaced by Zeljko Ivanek.”

Because I just watched it once again (fifth time or so)

Dogville and Kill Bill have several things in common:

• both are filmed in chapters
  • blonde woman nearly shot dead for leaving older man
  • both, Grace and The Bride, have to get through tough stuff throughout the movie
  • they have The Talk with the one who tried to kill them at the end of the movie
  • and they both get bloody revenge on the ones who hurt them

:slight_smile:

[quote=“Comfortable Silence”]
Yeah, the whole movie has no background, it takes place on a stage with the buildings outlined in chalk and a few props (likes desks, chairs, bookcases)

I found the only way to enjoy the movie is to ignore the anti-american ideology and just focus on the characters…I don’t like it when I feel like a movie is preaching to me. But for me the movie worked on a “what goes around comes around” theme, I suppose this is because my favourite movies are character studies instead of movies that attempt to push Big Important Issues. I was excited to see it because of the bizzare concept, but it definitely chugged too slow at times.

Are the next movies just showing Grace visiting another town? Perhaps the town of Manderlay…?
[/quote]

because of the stage thing i might not like it but i am thinking about buying the DVD.

[quote=“moussemaker”]
Because I just watched it once again (fifth time or so)

Dogville and Kill Bill have several things in common:

• both are filmed in chapters
  • blonde woman nearly shot dead for leaving older man
  • both, Grace and The Bride, have to get through tough stuff throughout the movie
  • they have The Talk with the one who tried to kill them at the end of the movie
  • and they both get bloody revenge on the ones who hurt them

:slight_smile:
    [/quote]
    pretty cool, I wouldn’t have tought of that!

I’ve seen it a long time ago, and I can’t remember it very well

could someone explain me what the anti-american ideology is?(in this movie I mean)

thanks!