Did O'Ren live up to all of the hype?

I’ve seen this sensational movie 4 times and every time I can’t help but feel that the fight between O’Ren and the Bride was anticlimactic. I love Lucy as an actress. She was good. Something did appear to be missing in her performance of O’Ren to make her exceptional. I found Go-Go to have a stronger presence. Even when she cut off that guy’s head I didn’t find myself as intimidated by her as Go-Go. Maybe it’s because I associate Lucy as a crime fighter in Charlie’s Angels? Could her smile be too sweet? Maybe I’m missing something in her character. What do you all think?

I actually lowered my expectations when I found out Lucy Lui would be playing O-Ren, and felt that she was probably one of the better things about the movie as a result. She wasn’t sensational, but she wasn’t bad, either, and after seeing Charlies Angels, I was expecting a TERRIBLE performance, Tarantino as director or not.

Go Go and Sophie Fatale both exceeded my initial expectations though, both in the way they acted and the way they went down (even though Sophie didn’t technically fight).

O-Ren was alright, but I personally don’t like Lucy Liu, so maybe another asian actress we’ve never seen before would’ve added to her mystique.

Or how about Tia Carrere. That would’ve been one fuckin hot O-Ren.

I think that O-Ren proved herself in the Anime sequence and through the bride’s voice over, telling us what a bad bitch she was. The battle scene with the bride and O-Ren was very unique in that it was full artsy style and calmness. O-Ren calm all the way through the fight took the bride for granted and didn’t think she had to show too much. Ego is what destroyed O-Ren.

Yeah, it’s a dramatic weight issue. The confrontation with Vivica is a long, vicious hand-to-hand sequence with a lot of character exposition during the coffee break. Most of the rest of the film is dedicated to killing O-Ren.

O-Ren is exposited in the anime sequence, and then Uma’s got to kill or maim or frighten off 88 people before she gets to O-Ren. Those are two very long introductions to the main event. It’s sort of like an orgasm, if you don’t mind a crude example.

I can imagine the confrontation with Bill being similarly quick. There will be three hours of action all aimed at his annihilation. We know how much of a bad ass he is from Hanzo’s reaction (and the anime sequence, in my opinion).

I don’t really like Lucy either, but I thought her dialogue scenes were passable. However, she cannot fight worth shit. She looked so out of place and didn’t seem smooth at all. Maybe it was the dress but that still shouldn’t have affected much.

Tia Carrere is a washed up piece of shit.

[quote]I don’t really like Lucy either, but I thought her dialogue scenes were passable.  However, she cannot fight worth shit.  She looked so out of place and didn’t seem smooth at all.  Maybe it was the dress but that still shouldn’t have affected much.

Tia Carrere is a washed up piece of shit.[/quote]

Lucy will kick everyones ass in here. She trained her ass off for those shitty Charlies Angles movies. She can fucking fight, it was the dress. That thing requires you to take small steps.

I too lowered mye xpectations when I found out Lucy was gonna play O-Ren, I guess that’s why I was so hyped over her performance.

I only knew Lucy Liu from “Charlie’s Angels” and “Ally McBeal” (I loved her character in there). And I think that apart from The Bride, O-Ren is the best developed character. Liu does a pretty good job and the scene with the yakuza leaders is for me one of the many highlights of the film.

I love Lucy Liu and I loved the Bride Vs O-Ren duel. It was beautifully done and it actually had more to do with emotion and atmosphere I think than full on action. My fav O-Ren scene is definitely the Yakuza meeting.

I think it was QTs intention to make The Brides fights with The DiVAS sort of shorter and less complex than what The Bride has to go through the rest of the movie. Even her fight with Vernita is pretty fast. We all know shes going to kill everyone on her list, this film is more about the process of how she does it. I love that.

But I hear in Volume 2 shes going to have a huge bitchfight with Elle Driver. Elle is really her last big obstacle before she kills Bill.

I have no complaints at all about Lucy’s casting or the snow garden showdown. There is a sense of finality to it. It’s slow and deliberate. Not a bitch fight, but a honorable samurai battle (at least, it becomes that after the Bride cuts O-ren.)

It’s slow and beautiful. Exactly what it was supposed to be.

I do agree… after all the HOTBL infamous rampage it was only right to do something like that. Beautiful and kind of moving actually.

They battle each other more with their minds than with their swords. After a while I think O-Ren realizes she has to die…

Plus in vol 2 we get to see the chapel scene and O- Ren and the rest will beat the shit out of the bride. I am sure O-Ren will throw some mean kicks karate style at the bride. I like Lucy Liu, and I don’t care what anyone says she can really fight, plus she is fuckin hot. I will be expecting great things from her in the future.

[quote]

Lucy will kick everyones ass in here. She trained her ass off for those shitty Charlies Angles movies. She can fucking fight, it was the dress. That thing requires you to take small steps. [/quote]

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Charlie’s Angels never had extensive sword usage, at least for Lucy anyway.

I just expected something a little better or different from the O-Ren character than what Lucy brought to the table.

Lucy exceeded ALL my expectations. She played the role of O-Ren extremely well. The bad news she’ll go back to making crappy films after Kill Bill.

Yes definately. I really think a separate movie could be made using the Lucy Liu character either by Tarantino or by some Japanese director. If we can have six or seven films in Japan about the wives of Yakuza that are still popular we can certainly have the life of O-Ren.