Def Leppard

Probably overall my favorite band. I’m seeing them in concert for the second time on June 29. First time I saw them was in June 05.

They appeal to many different crowds, the metal fans like On through the Night, High n Dry, Pyromania and Retro Active. Most of the general rock crowd likes Hysteria.

Discuss

[quote=“Slash24”]
Probably overall my favorite band. I’m seeing them in concert for the second time on June 29. First time I saw them was in June 05.

They appeal to many different crowds, the metal fans like On through the Night, High n Dry, Pyromania and Retro Active. Most of the general rock crowd likes Hysteria.

Discuss
[/quote]
Pour some Sugar on Me - what a shitty band - I hate em’

They are okay but compared to the other bands of their time they do suck.

I still love people that make fun of Rick Allen. They always bash him for sucking because he has 1 arm. Yet, he’s better than about 95% of 2 armed drummers. He’s fucking amazing live.

Other bands of their time that kicked ass:

1. The Cure - they actually started in the mid seventies, but they WERE the 80’s
  2. Depeche Mode - once again, a definition of the 80’s
  3. Van Halen…not Van Hagar
  4. Dire Straits - “I want my MTV”
  5. Tears for Fears
  6. Don Henley had some killer tunes, “all she wants to do is dance” and “boys of summer”
  7. Duran Duran - a little homo-erotic, but hey were still pretty cool
  8. Peter Gabriel - “I wanna be your Sledgehammer” - what does that mean?
  9. Motley Crue
  10. A three-way tie between Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, and Pat Benatar

and here come the arguments!

[quote]Pour some Sugar on Me - what a shitty band - I hate em’[/quote]

Like most of the general public, you've probably only heard the Hysteria shit. Listen to their first 3 albums and Retro Active.

Pour some sugar on me is just so overplayed it's not even funny.

[quote]They are okay but compared to the other bands of their time they do suck.[/quote]

What bands in the rock(not metal) genre were better than Def Leppard? Bon Jovi sucks ass, Motley Crue looked like chicks, poison and all those other hair bands were terrible.

[quote=“Slash24”]

Like most of the general public, you’ve probably only heard the Hysteria shit. Listen to their first 3 albums and Retro Active.

Pour some sugar on me is just so overplayed it’s not even funny.

What bands in the rock(not metal) genre were better than Def Leppard? Bon Jovi sucks ass, Motley Crue looked like chicks, poison and all those other hair bands were terrible.
[/quote]
dude…I grew up back then. I heard all of that shit. Next you’re goning to tell me that Twisted Sister is great.

[quote]and here come the arguments![/quote]

Not much with that list, although there are some that can’t even match Def Leppard live. Duran Duran? Tears for Fears? Madonna?(lip synchs live)

I have problems with those 3 being ‘better’ than def leppard. I don’t think so

Def Leppard are the genuine article when it comes to being a 'band’

But really TEARS FOR FUCKING FEARS? One hit wonder?!?

[quote=“Slash24”]

[/quote]
Led Zeppelin,Pink Floyd,Tom Petty…but im not really into those bands that dressed like chicks(Motley Crue,Poison…they both suck!)

[quote]Led Zeppelin,Pink Floyd,Tom Petty…[/quote]

Those are great bands, but I’m just talking Def Leppard’s time period. Def Leppard were arguably the Zeppelin of the 1980’s. Almost every hard rock band copied Leppard’s sound from Pyromania.

Oh and tell me if this kicks ass or not… Wasted Live 1983 - YouTube

[quote=“me”]
Led Zeppelin,Pink Floyd,Tom Petty…but im not really into those bands that dressed like chicks(Motley Crue,Poison…they both suck!)
[/quote]
Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Tom Petty were active in the 80’s, but are not 80’s bands. Def Leppard, which btw makes me wish I were deaf, is an 80’s band - leotards, big hair, and hot blonde groupies - that’s an 80’s band.

[quote=“Slash24”]
Not much with that list, although there are some that can’t even match Def Leppard live. Duran Duran? Tears for Fears? Madonna?(lip synchs live)

I have problems with those 3 being ‘better’ than def leppard. I don’t think so

Def Leppard are the genuine article when it comes to being a 'band’

But really TEARS FOR FUCKING FEARS? One hit wonder?!?
[/quote]
Tears for Fears had 2 hits “shout” and "everybody wants to rule the world"

when I was about 10 or 11 those two songs were on every radio station in the world once an hour. Those weren’t just hits, they were fucking smash hits that went quadruple platinum. those guys are still living off of those songs. On another note, I read that Sting makes over $3500 per day in royalties from “every breath you take” - wouldn’t that be nice?

Def Leppard didn’t have big hair, their lead guitar player Phil Collen had short hair. They didn’t wear leotards either. They wore tanktops and jeans. But hott blonde groupies they did have. They also didn’t wear makeup or put in hair spray.

People would like to think that, but they didn’t.

Kilgore, give this video a shot. I think you’ll like it, fuckin kick ass… Wasted Live 1983 - YouTube

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
Tears for Fears had 2 hits “shout” and "everybody wants to rule the world"

when I was about 10 or 11 those two songs were on every radio station in the world once an hour. Those weren’t just hits, they were fucking smash hits that went quadruple platinum. those guys are still living off of those songs.
[/quote]
I really liked head over heels. Btw that song has a really good rhythm.

[quote=“me”]
I really liked head over heels. Btw that song has a really good rhythm.
[/quote]
that makes three songs. I forgot about that one…“something happens and I’m head over heels…”

btw…those guys are Greek like me.

Funny thing is, one of my friends HATED Def Leppard. All he had heard was the hysteria shit mostly.

I took him to the first Leppard concert I went to, now Def are one of his favorite bands.

I judge band’s by how they are live, not so much the albums. Def Leppard are AMAZING live. Hell even I wasn’t that big of a Leppard fan when I first saw them live, afterwards, WOW. I’ve seen Ac\dc, Slayer, Judas Priest and Van Halen(unfortunatley van hagar) live. Def Leppard were the loudest and best(yes, they were louder than slayer). Judas Priest were a close second.

Who’s your favorite top 5 bands?

Mine are…

Nirvana

Cky

Tool

Sumlime

Blind Melon

My favorite oldies…

Tom Petty

Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin

CCR