Death Proof: Script review (no dialogue spoilers)

Having read the script about four times now, to me personally it still is NOT Quentin’s finest work. However, this movie is a homage to the glorious ‘so-bad-they’re-good’ films and it is a possible reflection on that. Having been quite literally blown away by Pulp Fiction and the script of Kill Bill (I never cared enough for the performances of Uma Thurman/David Carradine to care about the actual movie) the script to Death Proof looks like it is a homage to all of Quentin’s other work.

I have said this before but some of the dialogue sounds like it has been written by someone wanting to write like Quentin Tarantino. Remember on the DVD of Pulp Fiction when Quentin introduced a deleted scene between John Travolta and Uma Thurman and he said it was as if someone was trying to write like him. That is what this script is.

Don’t get me wrong, there is a couple of QuentinClassics in there that you will be repeating this time next year, but the script is not laced with the sort of things we all know, as fan, Quentin is capable of.

The Music

No song is listed in the script, but the style of song is described. For the opening credits (you will know it is a QT film just by the opening credits and not because of the music wink wink) is described as “Good God almighty” country track.

As a lot of scenes take place in a car, there is always music playing and in the bar scene in the middle there is a jukebox which takes center stage at one point. There is going to be some early seventies blues. Stuntman Mike loves his music… :smiley:

The Characters

I’ve said this over at my own forum, but in my opinion and this is what this review is based on, only TWO characters stand out. Stuntman Mike. now this character is the stuff of legend. He will be up there with Mr. Blonde, with Jules Winfield, with The Wolf, with Elle Driver. his dialogue is brilliant and when I read it, I could only picture Mickey Rourke saying it. The other character who is brilliant is Warren the Bartender. He is only in a few scenes but you will remember him, however I have it on good authority that Quentin Tarantino is playing him, so time will tell.

The girls are all very unlikable. They are the sort of characters who you WANT to see die, and i think that is how QT wrote them. Apart from Zoe Bell’s character, she comes across as the most likable but I think Zoe is just playing herself anyway.

Earl McGraw and his “Son Number 1” also make an appearance right in the middle of the script and their scene is an exact replica fo the church scene from Kill bill Vol. 1 and you will all appreciate it. Dialogue is excellent.

The Action

Well, the description of the eventual crash scenes is out of this world. By reading it, you’d think Quentin was writing a novel. He describes the actions of the characters during the crash scenes in every bloody detail. He doesn’t leave out a thing.

Overrall, it is a very dialogue heavy script and because most of the girls are so unlikable, and they’re the ones dominating most of the dialogue, it may drag on. There is only two action sequences in the script, the rest is people talking, but this is no Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs or Jackie Brown. The girls are quite vulgar too, that doesn’t endear you to them :slight_smile:

I don’t think Quentin has a problem coming up with or writing good female parts, this is the man who brought you Mia Wallace, Oren Ishii, Elle Driver. Kill Bill showed he can cater for just woman and they can be just as memorable as his male characters, but in Death Proof, it is his male characters that flourish.

I would give this script 7/10 and despite my reservations about it on paper, I look forward to seeing it on screen.

S.J AKA Tarantriguez

Thanks for the review ;D

Honest review, I can dig that. If the script (possibly a first draft) gets a 7/10, just imagine what the final shooting draft/film will be like. :slight_smile:

Unlikeable characters is kinda the norm when it comes to slasher flicks. You usually find yourself rooting for the killer. Nothing wrong with that. Matter of fact it’s part of the fun!

Good point Scar. I heard QT screened Carrie for the cast before shooting Death Proof. Maybe hes using the girls that taunted Carrie in that film and as inspiration for the girls in Death Proof. You got some unlikeable bitches there that are just asking to get killed! :smiley:

Believe me, when I go and see the movie opening night, I won’t expect ANYTHING to be like Pulp Fiction or Reservior Dogs. Especially because it’s a grind movie. But hey, if I’m impressed enough to think so…even better! :wink:

Well, its a given that QTs films have nods to his other films in them. I’m sure we’ll be noticing little references in Death Proof that are connected his other movies. But Death Proof will still be its own film of course.

I honestly think script reviews are pointless for the most part. The person reading it has no idea how it is going to be interpreted onto film, so they really have no say. The only thing that can recieve a truthful review is the dialouge in the script.

It’s all left to be seen.

[quote=“Black Mamba!”]
I honestly think script reviews are pointless for the most part. The person reading it has no idea how it is going to be interpreted onto film, so they really have no say. The only thing that can recieve a truthful review is the dialouge in the script.
[/quote]

Who are you to decide who has a say on things? No one forced you to read this thread at gunpoint did they?

[quote=“GrindHouseForum”]
Who are you to decide who has a say on things? No one forced you to read this thread at gunpoint did they?
[/quote]

K…I wasn’t telling everyone to not read the review, I was just saying that you shouldn’t get your hopes up if a script reveiw is good because a director might not interpret it onto film that way; same as a script getting a bad review, it’s not something worth getting disapointed about because it’s not even close to what an actual movie reveiw would entail. You don’t have to like my opinion, i was just sharing it. :slight_smile:

Well let me stress the point that this particular review was a reflection on MY personal opinion and I was not expecting anyone to take into account what I have said because I’d expect everyone to make their own mind up whether they read the script or watch the movie.

[quote=“GrindHouseForum”]
Well let me stress the point that this particular review was a reflection on MY personal opinion and I was not expecting anyone to take into account what I have said because I’d expect everyone to make their own mind up whether they read the script or watch the movie.
[/quote]

All the power to you then. Black Mamba and now myself, just dont take script reviews to seriously, and as you can see are just sharing our opinion, like you are.

Can we cut this, the point has been made. No need for attitude, everyone has their own opinion and has expressed it. Next subject. Please.

Cut what exactly? I think we were discussing something wehich was related to this topic, without you trying to steer us in another direction. I find that incredibly patronising and downright rude.

Well…it’s true, the movie script can be COMPLETELY different from the actual movie. All of this has to do with the way the director interprets the script into film. A script can be read in a completely different matter then how it is actually made. Especially dialoge. All of the cuts and pauses only happen with actor direction. As we appreciate the review, I’m sure it will be completely differnt from the movie. That’s why critics usually do a movie review. :wink:

Grindhouseforum I was refering to the attitude that was being used in the posting. Not the subject of the post but the TONE of the reply. I should have been more specific, true.