David Lynch

[quote]Well from the movies you mentioned i only saw Dressed to Kill.

And ss far as i know about DePalma and his work he uses dream logic rarely.

Are you saying that with Lynch there is no plot and character development?

Blue Velvet, Mullholand Dr., Twin Peaks (series and film) all have a wonderfull plot and character development (M Dr. in the most original way)

And i bet my life that the Straight Story has both too.

I cant speak for the rest coz i either didnt see them or they are like dreams (Lost Highway and Eraserhead)

JW

[/quote]

Well, if you’ve only seen Dressed To Kill, you can’t say he doesnt use dream logic sequences in his other thrillers. He used dream logic in his newest film Femme Fatale as well. I’ve seen all his films except for his earliest films (Murder Ala Mod, Hi Mom, Greetings, The Wedding Party).

I just think DePalma incorporates dream like sequences in his films more clearly than Lynch. Lynch seems to just create the most bizarre situations with no real reason, just to be outrageously weird. Thats what it seems like to me anyway.

Anyway, no need for us to keep going in circles Jules. You dig Lynch for certain reasons, I dont like him for certain reasons.

You’re right Vic. No need of going around in circles. I obviously wont convince. But i would definately want to see more DePalma films especially Femme Fatale.

JW

Ah, I knew if I went back far enough I would find a board on here for my favorite director! :slight_smile:

It’s interesting that he is being compared on here to Brian De Palma because his last films was very Lynchian to me. It was the only De Palma film that fully used surrealism and dream logic in the same way Lynch does. None of his other films are like that. De Palma does somewhat base his more personel films on dreams he has but then he forces those surreal visions of his into very literal plots. There is nothing wrong with that of course. I love De Palma very much. But Femme Fatale was I thought his first film where he let those surreal visions and feelings come first and then let the plot kind of fit it’s own why in second. I thought it was a masterpiece and his best film.

I wish more filmmakers would work and create in a similar fashion. The same way Lynch does with all his films and De Palma did with Femme Fatale. By creating out of their subconcious and letting dream logic and surrealism come first. I can hardly think of any current filmmakers who do. Buneual, Cocteau, Fellini, and Tarkovsky did back in their day. And nowadays, some films that come close are The Coen Brothers’s Barton Fink, Mike Figgis’s The Loss of Sexual Innoncence, and some very early Lars Von Trier films like Zentropa or The Element Of Crime. And the films of Guy Madden are pretty surreal too, like Tales From The Gimli Hospital or Careful. But, other than that, I can’t think of any filmmakers who work so closely with their subconcious like Lynch does. I work in a very similar way when I make my films. That’s why I connect so much to these kind of films.

If anyone is interested in what David Lynch is doing now you should become members of his werbsite, DavidLynch.com (is it ok if I put that much of the address on here?). It is well worth it. He has made many short films on there that are brilliant and totally equal to his feature films. Some of the best stuff he has ever done is one there. Also, if you are looking for the Eraserhead DVD it is now available exclusivly through his own store on that site. And it is a beautiul DVD! The print is wonderful and there are over 90 minutes of exrtras!!

Anyone who loves Lynch’s films should check this site out. All his current short films and projects he makes are on it!

[quote]If anyone is interested in what David Lynch is doing now you should become members of his werbsite, DavidLynch.com (is it ok if I put that much of the address on here?). It is well worth it. He has made many short films on there that are brilliant and totally equal to his feature films. Some of the best stuff he has ever done is one there. Also, if you are looking for the Eraserhead DVD it is now available exclusivly through his own store on that site. And it is a beautiul DVD! The print is wonderful and there are over 90 minutes of exrtras!![/quote]

Dont you have to pay to be a member for that web site? ERASERHEAD is one of my all-time favorites, but I’ve been hoping that (somewhere down the road) there will be another way to own that DVD. And speaking of the DVD, “Over 90 minutes of extras”??? On a David Lynch DVD? The guy doesn’t even use scene-selections! Shocking to hear that a Lynch DVD has some special features on it!

You do have to pay to be a member of the site but you do not have to be a member to buy the DVD. The store is something totally separate from the rest of the site. Though I shall add that it is highly worth it it pay to become a member. Some of the best short films I have ever seen are on the site.

The Eraserhead disc still does not have chapter stops. And that is Lynch’s choice. He doesn’t like them. He doesn’t want his films to be broken up into sections like a book. But he has nothing against extras and there are TONS of them on this disc. Inlcuding new footage of Lynch himself talking about the film and what it was like making it. A wonderful DVD!

I watched The Straight Story recently, I really enjoyed it. It was a small quiet film, and the acting and music was excellent. Great performances by the late Richard Farnsworth and Sissy Spacek. I also watched The Elephant Man yesterday. I thought it was a good film, but not one that I would wanna watch again.

I’m huge lynch fan and also a huge de palma fan both among my fav directors. they r both gods of filmmaking! But here is a lynch forum and mullholland drive is i think 1 of the best movies ever, i also think that lost highway was good but over the top, all the others from lynch r masterpieces

I agree that Mulholland Drive is probably his best film. And certainly one of the best films of all time in my opinion. And, Lost Highway can seem over the top in some places but I still love that film too. Though I actually think that everything he was trying to do in Lost Highway he did much better in Mulholland Drive.

The Straight Story is also a brilliant film. I was talking with some people about this the other day, that I actually think the TSS is just as abstract and experimental as his other stuff. Only in a different way. David Lynch himself said “tenderness can be just as absract as insanity” and I agree with that.

Hey, I was wondering, as Tarantino fans what does everyone think of Wild At Heart? I think it has some big similarities to True Romance. Not only in some aspects of the plot, but they also have a very similar feel and mood to them. I wonder if Tarantino was at all inspired by this film.

Wild at heart was GREAT! A truly great movie made by a genious!

Everytime I hear ‘Love me tender’’ by the King I always remember Nicolas Cage singing it with that emotional way!

But I don’t think that Wild at Heart can be compared to True Romance as a whole prospect.

If you compare them, then you must compare both with Bonnie and Clyde, The Getaway, Badlands(which is loved by QT) and the other '‘similar films’'

I think Wild at Heart is ages darker, and much more powerfull film than True Romance.

And it had the most brilliantly made scenes of violence I’ve seen (OK after Kitano’s movies)

But if you see it as a ‘‘A man, a woman and a gun trying to make their lives’’ film then sure, they are similar,

but generrally all these films are inspired by Bonnie and Clyde and the B-movies of that genre from the 50’s.

If you ask me which of Wild at Heart and True Romance is better I’d say Wild at heart immediately.

Maybe if QT had directed True romance I’d have a second thought.

[quote] If you ask me which of Wild at Heart and True Romance is better I’d say Wild at heart immediately.

Maybe if QT had directed True romance I’d have a second thought.[/quote]

Wild At Heart isnt a film I want to rewatch over and over like True Romance. I love spending time with the characters in True Romance while the characters in Wild At Heart are just weirdos from the Lynch dimension who I’d rather stay away from.

I tried to get into Wild At Heart, but I just can’t do it. I can understand Lynch is doing something different with the film, but thats not enough to keep me interested.

i am very disturbed… ???

i just watched Mullholland Dr.

i have no clue what the fuck the movie is about

i have no clue why there are two characters looking alike

i have no clue why in the middle of the film you begin to no longer understand it

i have no clue how somebody can possibly understand that film.

i have no clue at all… goddamn i am totally disturbed.

but its a great film, no doubt about that. its just… weird.

[quote]

but its a great film, no doubt about that. its just… weird.[/quote]

Dude, David Lynch is the King of “What the fuck is going on?” movies. lol

Sometimes is better, not understanding a shit, but hanging with your friends (even assholes) and talkin about a movie and every1’s opinion’s different.

[quote]i am very disturbed…  ???

i just watched Mullholland Dr.

i have no clue what the fuck the movie is about

i have no clue why there are two characters looking alike

i have no clue why in the middle of the film you begin to no longer understand it

i have no clue how somebody can possibly understand that film.

but its a great film, no doubt about that. its just… weird.[/quote]

Check out this possible movie explanation:

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://dir.salon.com/ent/movies/feature … index.html”>http://dir.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2001/10/23/mulholland_drive_analysis/index.html</LINK_TEXT>

david lynch is simple a god in movies

Sheperd:

anybody here a big David Lynch fan?

i only saw Mulholland Drive but i heard that Eraserhead and Blue Velvet were pretty cool.

if you have seen any of his movies, what do you think about his bizarre style?

Pete:

I think theres already a David Lynch topic open.

But to answer your question. Ive seen most of Lynchs work. Out of the ones Ive seen the only ones I really liked were Blue Velvet and The Straight Story. I lose interest very quick watching stuff like Fire Walk with Me, Wild At Heart and Lost Highway. I also get annoyed when I get my time taken away from me watching convoluted, pretentious drivel.

Lynch is one of the guys you either love or hate I guess.

I still havent seen Mulholland Drive. Since Im not a fan, its not in my mind because Im always thinking about other films and directors. I need to rent it sometime though.

Bullet:

I’ve only seen David Lynch’s weirder shit like Lost Highway, Eraserhead and Blue Velvet I haven’t got around to seeing mullound dr. yet I saw half of it about a year ago. But I really really liked Lost Highway.

Il Buono:

I rented Muholland Drive but only fast forwarded to the lesbian scenes. They were very good!!

Bullet:

Then David Lynch obvious Isn’t for you because his films require thought. You like shit that requires no thought.

Scarface:

David Lynch’s movies are brilliant, but you have to see them in the right kind of mood. I hated “Mullholland Dr.” first time I saw it, I didn’t undesrtand a godamn thing. With repeated viewings and with a little dose of patience to actually try to use my brain and search for my own conclusions, it has steadily grown to be one of my favorite movies of all time.

Pete:

Mood has nothing to do with Lynch for me. You should be able to watch his films in any mood and enjoy them.

Ive tried to get into Wild At Heart many times and each time I ended up hating it. Lost Highway is bullshit. Dune is a sci fi mess…

I dont care about Lynch at all as a director. If you like his movies, good for you.

Bronson:

I love Lynch.

I’ve only seen Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet, but both rock.

Blue Velvet is just disturbing sort of, and MD is crazy. But disturbing and crazy in a good way.

I really wanna see Rabbits, which I hear is his darkest and most Lynchian piece. Its one of his three exsclusive-to-his-site series. You have to be a member and pay 10 bucks a month though.

The same actors from MD are in Rabbits, and by that I mean Naomi Watts (Betty/Diane) and that Spanish chick (Rita/Camilla Rhodes).

It’s tagline is: In a nameless city, deluged by a continuous rain, three rabbits live with a fearful mystery.

Scarface:

How about “Twin Peaks”? Is anyone a fan of that series? I was too young to watch it and delve into it when it first aired on T.V. I was often tempted to buy the whole first season on Dvd, but I heard from somewhere that that dvd lacks the first episode. Don’t know if it’s true.

festus taint:

The DVD set does lack the pilot movie, but you can also get that on DVD just seperately. I have everything Twin Peaks on tape (except this smaller series I’ve since heard of, don’t know much about it), but I only have season 1 on DVD. I’ve been waiting for season 2 (which is twice as long as the first one) for 2 years to come out, and I hope Special Editions of both Fire Walk With me, and the Pilot will come out one day, that’s what I’m waiting for there.

also Lynch’s wierdness often depends on just what feels right to him. Bob in Twin Peaks was an art director that somehow accidently cast his reflection somewhere in the early episodes. Lynch had no idea of how the series was going to end, until he saw Bob’s reflection, and it all just came from that.

thenexttarantino:

hate Lynch man he is like too surreal for me

Scarface:

Thanks for the clarification festus. Maybe I’ll get both the first season and the pilot movie one day; though I’m guessing the pilot has shitty picture and audio quality. I’m still undecided, since I have a shitload of other dvd’s on my wishlist. Btw, I also just wanna add that the “Twin Peaks” theme is one of the most haunting, mesmerising scores I ever heard. Totally brilliant!

festus:

Angelino Badlamenti, What can you say.

He really ought to do more soundtracks than he does.

Deaner:

Just saw Mulholland Drive last night, and I don’t know whether I like it or not yet. Parts of it were really pretensious bullshit, especially the last line of the film, but parts of it were really cool. Anyone have any good theories on what the fuck is going on in that movie and what it all means? Any explanation would be much appreciated

WOLF:

I just don’t get David Lynch. I mean he made a classic with The Elephant Man, then he goes off into this kick of being the weirdest motherfucker on earth. I have watched a majority of his films, but they just make me sad and confused, and though I finally figure them out after having to watch them over and over again, I find myself disappointed that I had to watch them again and again to find his true meaning, and it just makes me very tired. I am tired just thinking about it. Goodnite!!!

Scarface:

~MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR MULHOLLAND DR.~~

The first part of the movie is essentially Naomi Watt’s dream (I’m gonna refer to it as Watts, as I forgot her movie’s name). Th second part (when the blue box is opened onwards) is what actually happened in reality. From what I can remember, in real life Watts was in love with the latina bombshell ; and they also had a lesbian relationship goin’ on. But 1 day the latino bombshell falls in love with that film director and abandons Watts. This makes Watts go nuts and hires a gunman to finish off her ex-lover.

Now the dream symbolised the ideal life Watts wanted to live. The ambitious actress and the ideal lover. The dream also symbolised indirectly all her fear and emotions. Example, she makes the film director (whom she obviously hated in real life) go through all kinds of hell (her wife cheats on him, he loses his money etc.) The comedic clumsy hitman sequence for me also symbolised Watts’ fear that the hitman she actually hired would not succeed in the job she assigned him. There are tons of other things to analyse, but that’s basically the main premise I think.

Deaner:

Scarface:

Thank you so much for the explanation. I feel stupid for not figuring this out myself. Thinking about all that, I decided that I really like the movie. Except for the last line. I’m going to watch it again though. One more question: What’s with the ugly demon-like girl behind the wall by the restaurant?

KFM:

Why doesn’t Lynch or the production company that did the TV show “TWIN PEAKS” sell the show to show in continuation on some cable station like TNT or USA? It’d be awesome to catch some epidodes on TV like that…better than watching useless Walker Texas Ranger

Bronson:

You didn’t come up with those ideas yourself, Scarface, did you? I’ve seen that online site that explains the movie. But its all good, cause no one really gives a rats ass.

Has anyone seen Eraserhead? I really wanna see it cause I here its wierder than anything.

Scarface:

Well Bronson, I must admit that I’ve made some online research to understand the movie . But in some cases I managed to reach my own conclusions. Once I found out that the whole first part was a dream, it’s kinda easy to figure out all the little details.

The Shepherd:

I really like Mulholland Drive and i think that i understand most of it except for the scary leper behind Winky’s.

what the fuck??

fridge buzz now:

Eraserhead is my favorite, along with the Elephant Man. I need to watch Lost Highway agian, it’s been awhile and I barely remember it.

Why is the David Lynch website so exclusive? Some of us slackers don’t want to pay up.

MD was…interesting. I loved the first half with Betty and Rita, but then I just got confused. He’s the sort of a director that wants you to watch his films repeatedly, I guess.

eggnog samurai:

All right 1st post! Anyway I consider myself to be a fan of Lynch’s films. I am rewatching Twin Peaks (the series) and plan to follow that up with Fire Walk With Me. I found Mulholland Dr. to be an excellent and disturbing film. I thought Blue Velvet could have been better but I still give it respect. When I saw it I didn’t realize Lynch made 'A Straight Story" but that was a good film, though not in the same league as his other work. I have yet to see Elephant Man, Wild at Heart, Dune, or Lost Highway but plan to rent those in the following months. Glad to see that fellow Tarantino fans appreciate Lynch as well.

KFM:

Blue Velvet is my favorite of his. That movie is great.

Lost Highway is just…you can’t even describe the film its so crazy.

Wild At Heart…this has much more of a “straight story” and not crazy like Lost Highway, but still another great piece of film. Lots of surreal shit in here.

And for Lost Highway fans who are open to new meanings on the film, check out this site; http://www.jasonsweb.com/LostHighway/lh_index.html

It may help you understand, appreciate, or have more fun with the film.

i adore him, i think he is a stone cold genius, Blue Velvet was a masterpiece, simple and plain, so was Mulholland Drive and Eraserhead

i just bought the special edition first season of Twin Peaks and every epsiode just blows my fucking mind, some of the best audio commentaries i have ever heard too, truth is Davi Lynch makes pure cult movies wich is hard to understand for the majority of people, myself, i worship it

I’d like to see ‘The Straight Story’, is that any good? His short ‘The Grandmother’ is another good one, a mixture of live action and animation.

This is a good site:

http://www.wayney.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/lynch.htm

(Click on the images to read about the films)

It includes his earliest film ‘Six Men Getting Sick’ http://www.wayney.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sixmen.htm