Copyright questions

Alright, I have a bunch of questions about copyrights. I just finished an 8 minute short. I want to copyright it so I can submit it to festivals and host it on the internet. The music is original, so no need to worry there. Basically, what is the best way to submit my movie to the library of congress or whatever it is? The way I understand it, even if my movie is copyrighted, my story and characters won’t be. So, is it best to send a copy of my screenplay as well? Also, I went ahead and put the © symbol in the end credits and All Rights Reserved along with my production name. However, does my production name need to be copyrighted as well? What is the best thing to put next to the © symbol? Another thing, the music is stuff that I created, so do I need to copyright the music separately as well? I think that should pretty much do it.

Any help and any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and hopefully I’ll get this hosted online soon, so anyone who wants to can see it. Thanks,

jason.

Why copyright? It’s a short film. What are you afraid of? Pirated copies being offered on the internet? Who would want to steal an 8 minute short film? And how could it be stolen anway?

[quote]Why copyright? It’s a short film. What are you afraid of? Pirated copies being offered on the internet? Who would want to steal an 8 minute short film? And how could it be stolen anway? [/quote]

Uhh… I’ll pretend you didn’t say that.

The question is: why not copyright?

so i take it no one knows much about this…

Guess not. Why don’t you try looking it up?

http://www.filmmaking.net/faq/

This place should be able to answer most of your questions. There’s a message board on this site as well that’s good for questions.

[quote]http://www.filmmaking.net/faq/

This place should be able to answer most of your questions. There’s a message board on this site as well that’s good for questions.[/quote]

Cool, thanks man. I'll check it out!

i dont know much about copyright except you should get release forms for all th emusic you used and the actors performances.

So youve come to an agreement.

And if you stuck a production company name you need to register it, unless it is made up of your name for eg. Ben Lee Productions (not a real company).

But honestly, copyright isnt necessary on short films cause it should be to showcase your work, not much else