Clockwork Orange or not?

Not a big Kubrick fan, but ACO is one of my favorite films. Its so outrageous and insane, its probably the only Kubrick film I love. Anarchy reigns in the film and Kubrick makes the anarchy Art. The Singin in The Rain scene is classic. I also love the comedy, weird language Alex uses and the look of the film, its a masterpiece of cinema. A cult classic too.

The Shining: I dont like this film, its just boring. The only good thing about it is Jack, but even he can make me like this dud. Kubrick wasnt good at horror IMO.

I liked the way it ended - the UK version made it like a real USA film where everything was tidied up at the end and the audience was happy

boo hoo

well guys, i took your advice, saw ACO and the shining. i love those movies now! i bought them today! thanks a lot.

I’m glad you liked them.

If you want to watch some more good movies I recommend that you rent Taxi Driver and Raging Bull.

[quote]I always thought Scorsese was your favorite oif.[/quote]It’s something complicated: I’m more obsessed with Marty, Kubrick and Scorsese are equally my favorites, but in my book Kubrick is the best ever and he won’t be surpassed by anyone! 8) Clear as hell

[quote]I’m glad you liked them.If you want to watch some more good movies I recommend that you rent Taxi Driver and Raging Bull. [/quote]Big time Norma, propably my two all time favorite movies!

Mr White is my name at bo reports’ forum…

Clockwork Orange is definitely one of the best films of all time.

Here is a dictionary of Alex and his droogs’ language! This is big time helpfull!

Go to http://www.clockworkorange.com/nadsat.shtml and at <LINK_TEXT text=“Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos … adsat.html”>Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos</LINK_TEXT> for even more!

Coolness.

horrorshow - good, well

My favorite word. Ever.

Clockwork Orange is the greatest movie of all time

First time I watched it and enjoyed it immensely

the next time I watched it, understood it, and its now my favorite movie

A Clockwork Orange is definitely a movie thats worth watching. theres not so much weird shit in it, if youve read stuff like brave new world then you won’t be bothered by it too much. its a brilliant movie(though not as brilliant at the book), you might not understand it because of the use of foreign words as sort of a slang in their dialogues. i read the book before watching the movie so it helped me get used to the slang. i highly recommend you the book first though, or if not, afterwards.

Mr_Toothpick posted in double topic:

A great classic for films. A great historic mark for literature. And a great topic.

I think you should always watch the movie before the book because the movie introduces you to the characters and gives you a sort of image to go by when reading the book. Also when you read the book later you end up ( normally ) liking the book more but you appreciate the movie a lot more than you did. In the instance for ACO you should definatly watch the movie first then you have to read the book. A Cult Classic movie that will exist for centuries to come.

Awesome movie. One of my favorites. And a great Beethoven soundtrack.

My only gripe is that the very ending seemed somewhat cheerful, which took away some from the disturbing tone of the film.

I don’t understand how people can call the movie unfaithful to the book.  The language, the violence, the themes, all of these were present where a lesser director would have taken them out to make it easier to understand, and to get a better rating. ÂÂ

A fraction of the scenes from the book were cut, none of which altered what the story was trying to tell.

Nearly every adaptation made has naysayers who cry foul as they hold a copy of the book in hand raised to the sky, but in A Clockwork Orange’s case I really don’t think its warranted.

* Book Spoiler*

Well in the book Georgie dies. That’s pretty different wouldn’t you say? Any ways the cheerfulness of the film adds to the disturbing way of the movie. They’re playing joyful music while four guys are raping a girl. If it was normal music it would still be disturbing but a lot less.

[quote]          * Book Spoiler*

Well in the book Georgie dies. That’s pretty different wouldn’t you say? Any ways the cheerfulness of the film adds to the disturbing way of the movie. They’re playing joyful music while four guys are raping a girl. If it was normal music it would still be disturbing but a lot less.[/quote]

Well how did that death really affect the story?  It would have been useful, maybe, if Kubrick went with the happy ending, it could have been a warning to Alex that if he stays in the criminal business he could wind up dead, but really nothing is affected (although I would have preferred it if it was Billy Boy instead of Georgie as the cop at the end with Dim, but what can you do).

Also I love the joyful music.  You enjoy yourself while watching these people getting raped and killed.  It leaves you with a lot of self-reflecting time afterwards.

I enjoyed the cheerful music throughtout the movie, but the ending felt like somewhat of a cop-out when Alex lives and everything is cheerful then. Because the cheerfulness stops after Alex gets brainwashed and the very ending being so cheerful seemed to make the film a little less disturbing.

Well you know how when Alex gets brainwashed and can’t commit acts of violence, how everyone beats him up and everything is disturbing and non cheerful? Well at the end when he’s safe in the hospital and un-brainwashed, the happy music comes on and everything feels cheerful. You guys may have thought it was disturbing, but it didn’t seem that way to me.

I bought today the dvd of Clockwork. I wanted to watch it this night, but actually, i’m afraid to be shocked by this kind of violence.

I saw some extracts oh the movie.

habitually, i’ve not problem with violent movie, but i think this one is different, cause of the atmosphere… well maybe it’s only a prejudice.

Well i need to see it.

What do you think about violence of this movie ?!

it was violant for its time,

but I think you wont be too shocked of its violence, youve problaly seen worse.

the lenses, if I remember right they used a 10 mm Zeiss lens, does give the movie a great atmosphere.