THE FILM THAT PROVIDED THE INSPIRATION FOR TARANTINO’S “RESERVOIR DOGS"
The original inspiration for Quentin Tarantino’s “Reservoir Dogs", Ringo Lam’s CITY ON FIRE is an explosive Hong Kong crime thriller that utilises the always dynamic pairing of Chow Yun Fat (Bulletproof Monk; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; Hard Boiled; The Killer; Tragic Hero; Rich And Famous) and Danny Lee (The Killer; Tragic Hero; Rich And Famous) to devastating effect.
Chow Yun Fat stars as Ko Chow, an undercover cop assigned to infiltrate a gang of ruthless jewel thieves after the officer originally in charge of the case is brutally murdered when his cover is blown. Haunted by his own honour-bound betrayal that led to the death of a criminal friend, Chow wants out of the force but agrees to one last job, after which he has promised to marry his long-suffering girlfriend, Huong (played by Carrie Ng, star of Naked Killer, Sex And Zen and Skinny Tiger And Fatty Dragon). As he gradually earns the respect of the gang members and their boss, Chow begins to develop a close friendship with one of the thieves, the charismatic Fu (Danny Lee), and is eventually trusted enough to take part in a carefully planned heist. But when the robbery goes horribly wrong, resulting in a bloody shoot-out with the police, suspicions are raised about who the traitor might be.
Following the “heroic bloodshed" themes of brotherhood, honour, loyalty and revenge, CITY ON FIRE is one of seminal examples of the genre - a hard-hitting thriller full of explosive gunplay, bone-crunching violence and incendiary action sequences.
The Special Collector’s Edition of CITY ON FIRE (cert. 18) will be released on DVD (£16.99) by Hong Kong Legends on 25th April 2005.
Special Features include:
- Digitally re-mastered and restored 16:9 anamorphic version (enhanced for widescreen TVs)
- Dual language format (English dubbed and Cantonese with re-mastered English subtitles)
- Dolby Digital 5.1 audio tracks
- Exclusive feature-length audio-commentary by Hong Kong film expert, Bey Logan
- “Portrait Of Anger" - an exclusive interview with acclaimed cinematographer, Andrew Lau
- “The Long Arm Of The Law" - an exclusive interview with prolific star, Roy Cheung
- Fully animated menus.