Child witnessing their parents death concept

In the first fight scene, after the Bride kills Copperhead (Vivica A. Fox), she tells her daughter that if she grows up and still feels raw about it, she’ll be waiting.

Im just referring to the concept of killing someone with their child as a witness, and telling the child its unfortunate but when you grow up, revenge will be waiting.

I really didn’t start thinking of where this particular concept originally came from until I saw the same exact concept in very first scene in the anime Afro Samurai:

(copy and paste url)

http://tv-links.co.uk/link.do/3/1983/2809/18818/30231

In Afro Samurai, it seems to be the driving force of the series, the revenge of the child…

In Kill Bill, the concept didn’t seem to lead to anything in the plot, but seemed to help chararcter development of the Bride as it showed the respect and honor she had.

Maybe just a concept from an early samurai, kung-fu or spagetti western movie that has been borrowed a few times over the decades?

Actually, you missed O Ren ishii’s father’s death too.

But, this goes back to the beginning of time with tales of vengeance for a parent’s death. Even Conan was about that.

Thats a very common concept in Anime… and not just in the obvious way…

I mean, there’s the child witnessing the death of parents in a lot of series, but in the vast majority id have to say that the principal characters are lacking parents… either because they are orphans or otherwise separated from there parents… it really is common place… the reason, i think, is because it makes the characters more free in what they can and cant do… And because Anime characters are usually alot younger then characters tend to be in live action… the child witnessing the death of parents is a sweet way of making characters more flexible…

the white lotus trio is remmember correctly was about that too.

Yes, true, by not having parents, some of the main characters in Kill Bill lack familial responsibilities, thus making them more unpredictable.

I don’t believe you guys didn’t mention Once upon a time in the West yet…

yeah it’s Bronson’s BROTHER, but it don’t matter

and also at the beginning Frank talks about that witnessing thing…

-“What do we do with the kid, Frank?”

-“Well, you called me by my name…”

i have never actually seen once upon a time in the west although i would like too.

[quote=“Jjp”]
i have never actually seen once upon a time in the west although i would like too.
[/quote]
wtf?

go get the dvd at this fuckin second, man!

[quote=“Tristan”]
wtf?

[/quote]

yeaa ill probably buy it soon for its extremely cheap pice of 7 dollars.

[quote=“Tristan”]
wtf?

[/quote]

just picked it up from best buy for 7 planning on watching it tonight.

then…best wishes for your first date with Once up’ in the West!

I remember the first time I watched it, I just fell in love with that movie!