Butch and Vincent

Why does Vincent say “you ain’t my friend, Palooka”?

and why did my original thread on this get deleted??? i want answers!

I think it’s because Vincent has an inferiority complex, and when the two of them meet in the bar, Butch sarcastically says, “What you lookin’ at friend.” I think Vincent viewed this as a personal attack, and therefore responded harshly, but also sarcastically. He probably overheard Butch’s conversation with Marsellus and is teasing him about what he is about to do.

maybe he’s just predisposed to not like boxers.

No one knows if there is anything in the past they experienced together…

In this case the phrase would make sense.

Maybe QT wanna show there will be coming up something really special. Or you just have to know that they are involved in each other and don’t like theirselves.

I met one guy in some kind of camp or something, I had good relations with others, but I knew from the first goddamn moment that I hate him. And he too. And our first conversation was similar to the one between Butch and Vincent. So I don’t wonder about them. We were both talking sarcastic. I don’t know what is it, I think some instinct, because I just can’t explain why I hated him and he hated me.

sexual tension?

The main reason they had their little argument is that jules and vincent where wearing those dorky clothes…they walked in and Butch was like: what the fuck are they wearing? Vincent (who wasn’t comfortable in these clothes) sensed that Butch was looking at him like that and responded…

“I aint your friend” meaning: hey back off, you dont know me, dont judge me on my clothes…

“palooka” meaning: ok, I am wearing dorky clothes, but you re a boxer who is going down for money…

Perfect! That’s the right thing.

[quote=“tarantino_is_god”]
The main reason they had their little argument is that jules and vincent where wearing those dorky clothes…they walked in and Butch was like: what the fuck are they wearing? Vincent (who wasn’t comfortable in these clothes) sensed that Butch was looking at him like that and responded…

“I aint your friend” meaning: hey back off, you dont know me, dont judge me on my clothes…

“palooka” meaning: ok, I am wearing dorky clothes, but you re a boxer who is going down for money…
[/quote]

I always thought he called him Palooka because that was his last name…

Isn’t there more about this on the Pulp Fiction Special Edition trivia track??

I think, Palooka was the name of some infamous person known for doing something infamous if I recall correctly, anyways check out the trivia track!!

Palooka is the name of a boxer that was paid to go down.

[quote=“IL_Buono”]
Why does Vincent say “you ain’t my friend, Palooka”?
[/quote]

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pal1.htm
[i] [Q] From Ana Alfaro in Panama: “I have come across the term palooka as in ‘they are a couple of palookas’ and in Palookaville. Could you explain what it means?�

[A] The word has two main senses. One refers to an unsuccessful boxer, especially one who is both large and stupid, the other to any large and stupid or clumsy person, an oaf or lout.

Many older people first came across the word as the name of the boxer in Ham Fisher’s famous comic strip. This first appeared in 1928; it featured the eponymous Joe Palooka as a slow-witted and inarticulate boxer, even though “his heart was pure and his ideals high�. But Ham Fisher didn’t invent the word: it had been around for several years as a slang term and is first recorded in print in 1925. The boxing associations seem to have been particularly strong, to judge from the magazine The Ring, which in November 1926 glossed the word to mean “A tenth rater, a boxer without ability, a nobody� and which implied it had been known for some time.

It’s often said that palooka was the invention of Jack Conway, a former baseball player who became the editor of Variety magazine; he is credited by some with creating a whole group of slang terms that include pushover and baloney. Whether he actually invented palooka, or popularised it, we have no way of knowing, nor do we have any idea what it was based on.

Some of Joe Palooka’s adventures were made into films, and Palookaville came to be a slang term for a hick town full of gentle losers.[/i]

And take a look [url=http://www.forgottenfilms.net/palooka.html]here:[/url]
There are the names of the movies about Joe Palooka.

And here some [url=http://www.toonopedia.com/palooka.htm]stuff[/url] about the Palooka comic:
![](upload://1Y1JPur4yWPKm2JQGOapOO7A2Ky.jpeg)[img]http://www.toonopedia.com/palooka.jpg[/img]

Ok I’ve watched this scene both with and without the Trivia Track several times. In Sally Le Roy’s bar ,where Marsellus tells Butch to take the dive, why is it when he and Vince see each other at the bar Vince calls Butch a “Palooka” I understand the reference to Joe Palooka that he was a boxer who was supposed to take a dive but didn’t , but why does Vince call Butch this.Butch did nothing to provoke Vince, so why does Vince outright insult him, is there a backstory or something? I’m goin berserk tryin’ to figure this out if someone could clear things up I’d really appreciate it.

VINCE was just being VINCE, nothing more, nothing less

yeah…you saw how he back-talked to THE WOLF, and that was someone who he had some respect for!..I mean vince had probably heard of Butch’s deal with MW and thought pretty little of him for it…

plus with the sort of day Vince had been having (i.e. cleaning bits of brain out of a car) you can understand him being a little narky…

i always think the butch was looking like palooka but i dont know what palooka means! when i saw that movie (6 years old) i imagine that palooka a bald creature with box equipment

A Simple search is all it takes… and equals a clever line

[Q] From Ana Alfaro in Panama: “I have come across the term palooka as in ‘they are a couple of palookas’ and in Palookaville. Could you explain what it means?�

[A] The word has two main senses. One refers to an unsuccessful boxer, especially one who is both large and stupid, the other to any large and stupid or clumsy person, an oaf or lout.

Many older people first came across the word as the name of the boxer in Ham Fisher’s famous comic strip. This first appeared in 1928; it featured the eponymous Joe Palooka as a slow-witted and inarticulate boxer, even though “his heart was pure and his ideals high�. But Ham Fisher didn’t invent the word: it had been around for several years as a slang term and is first recorded in print in 1925. The boxing associations seem to have been particularly strong, to judge from the magazine The Ring, which in November 1926 glossed the word to mean “A tenth rater, a boxer without ability, a nobody� and which implied it had been known for some time.

It’s often said that palooka was the invention of Jack Conway, a former baseball player who became the editor of Variety magazine; he is credited by some with creating a whole group of slang terms that include pushover and baloney. Whether he actually invented palooka, or popularised it, we have no way of knowing, nor do we have any idea what it was based on.

Some of Joe Palooka’s adventures were made into films, and Palookaville came to be a slang term for a hick town full of gentle losers.

I would just like to add, that by Vincent saying this one word. It proves Vincent knew who Butch was.

I would like to see Vincent shoot Butch… I can’t stand him.

I think it’s basically Vincent being in a bad mood. When did he backtalk to Wolf. I mean he was being smart but no backtalk.

There might be a backstory but who knows.

I have an opinion. At the beginning, VINCE know that butch is here to see MARCELLUS because its Marcellus’ bar. Vince never see him in the past, he meet him for the first time. I think he said that to show that he superiors cause he’s a good friend of marcellus. You know when you’re a friend of someone important and someone else come to see this important guy, you want to be superior at him, like ‘‘hey man, you see the guy right there, this iis a GOOD friend so don’t put the shit here’’. This is my opinion, so…