Budd's boots

I saw this interpretation last year on one french forum. I post i here now for everybody…

This is just like an interpretation of the sequence : The Bride VS Budd

Some elements makes think that Budd isn’t a bad guy (at least he isn’t any more). He says nothing in front of his boss, accepts to clean the wc. And the most important : he is an ally for the Bride. Without him, she would never have been so far and had the chance to finish what she wanted.

Some others elements showing that he isn’t a simple bad guy :

=> Why did he shoot the bride with rock salt, instead of killing her directly ? This is a strange attitude for an old member of the deadly viper assassin, isn’t it ?

=>Why did he give a flashlight to the bride in the grave, whereas he said that she will “die in the worse suffering” ?

=> Budd is the only person to feel remords and confess his errors.

Now let’s see the interpretation called “Budd’s boots”…

When the bride come to kill Budd and that she watched under the door of the caravan, we see Budd’s boots (Budd is sitting). Then when she felt down after Budd shooting her, we see that the bride have boots too.

In the grave, the bride take out of her boot a razor. Do you really think that someone like Budd would really have made the error to let her with a razor ? I don’t believe so… so why does she have a razor in her boot ? Because these are Budd’s boots ! She is wearing Budd’s boots in the grave… Maybe it sounds strange, and you can’t really believe it, but you know QT’s universe…

Who is playing Budd ? => Michael Madsen

In which other QT movie does Michael Madsen play ? =>Reservoir Dogs (Mr. Blond)

What is Mr. Blond wearing ? => boots

And what is in his boots ? => a razor !

OK, good idea. But why did Budd let a razor to the bride ? To allow her to be free and go out of the grave ?

Budd have the right to avenge himself, and the bride have the right to die. When he knows that she have killed all the crazy’s 88 maybe just because it sounds cool, he isn’t very happy. The bride have lost herself in her vengance, and have killed too much persons, almost just for fun.

In the vol1, Hanzo said to the bride not to loose herself into the vengance.

We know in the vol2 that Budd was a pupil of Hanzo. So Budd knows that the vengance has its limits.

So Budd, in the vol2, is just like the substitute of Hanzo and want to put order in the bride’s head, and want her not to loose herself in the vengance.

That’s why he “kills” her symbolically : he puts her into a grave in order to allow her to come back into the life much more strong. And so she will be abble to find the good way to make her vengance, and will be serene with it.

So the bride gets totally crazy in the grave, and then she calms down herself, and remember what Pai Mei said to her.

Budd loves his brother, but knows that the bride must avenge herself. He forces her to think about what she will do : how does she kill Bill, and does she really kill him ? She must think hard about it, and not avenge herself without thinking. She has to kill Bill not because of pure vengance, but because she has to protect her daughter (she isn’t yet prepared to find BB, so she must calm down).

Notice too :

=> Budd is the only person that the bride isn’t kill by herself (or at least that she didn’t fight, because she didn’t really kill Elle, but at least she fought with her).

=>when Elle come into Budd’s caravan, Budd haven’t any shoes. Of course the bride has got his boots, and the bride’s boots must be too small for him.

=> if the bride can so easy remove her boots in the grave (try to remove santiags, that’s not so easy), that’s because the boots are too large for her (so it confirms that it can be Budd’s boots).

To conclude this interpretation : we finally know the birde’s name only after her “resurection” because she isn’t inhuman any more, she is Beatrix Kiddo, BB’s mother, and the woman who loved Bill.

So Budd is the ally of the bride in this vol2, just like Hanzo was in the vol1.

Crap.

She didn’t lose herself in vengeance by killing Crazy 88’s, she had to do it to get to Oren.

Budd doesn’t like her at all (“she’s only smart enough for a blonde”, “this is for breaking my brother’s heart” and so on).

He wore his own boots when he was putting her in the coffin and nailing it.

That’s stupid to change boots. If he really wanted to give her a knife, he could easily slip it in her pockets or somethin.

That’s even more sadistic to give her a flashlight. (The evil laughter when showing it)

He’s robbing her, taking her Hanzo sword and selling to Elle.

He despises her.

And how the fuck could one be an ally to a person who woul either die or kill you?

[quote=“Bleach”]
Crap.
[/quote]

thanks Bleach… You can be very nice when you want. What do I have to say now ? Delete the post ? No, I won’t do this because when I first read this interpretation, I thought that it wasn’t a stupid idea, and that it could work for an interpretation. I think QT could have thought about this when he wrote the script. What do you think ?

But let’s see if the others agree with you… If everybody think it’s crap, I don’t know what to do any more…

Haha, don’t worry, my love, they will probably agree with you.

It is a good theory but a flawed one.

[quote]We know in the vol2 that Budd was a pupil of Hanzo[/quote]

How do we know this? It doesn’t mention it does it? Am I wrong in thinking Budd WASN’T trained by Hatori Hanzo?

[quote] Budd is the only person to feel remords and confess his errors.
[/quote]

Vernita also felt remorse towards The Bride - “You have every right to want to get even.” "I know I fucked you over. I fucked you over bad. I wish to God I hadn’t, but I did. If I could go back in a machine I would, but I can’t."

Bill also confessed his errors!

[quote]Do you really think that someone like Budd would really have made the error to let her with a razor ?[/quote]

Well there is a good possibility he might have. I mean how many people would think to look in someone’s boots for a weapon?

[quote]why does she have a razor in her boot ? Because these are Budd’s boots ![/quote]

If you look closely, you will be able to see that Budd’s boots differ quite significantly to Beatrix’s, therefore they can’t be the same boots!

[quote]Maybe it sounds strange, and you can’t really believe it, but you know QT’s universe…

Who is playing Budd ? => Michael Madsen

In which other QT movie does Michael Madsen play ? =>Reservoir Dogs (Mr. Blond)

What is Mr. Blond wearing ? => boots

And what is in his boots ? => a razor !
[/quote]

Kill Bill is in a different universe to Reservoir Dogs. Budd and Mr. Blonde are not the same people.

[quote]When he knows that she have killed all the crazy’s 88 maybe just because it sounds cool[/quote]

How do you know this? The Bride didn’t kill the Crazy 88’s just because it sounds cool, the dialogue might have confused you. Bill told Budd that there were not 88 of them they just called themselves the Crazy 88’s, Budd asks howcome, to which Bill replies “I don’t know, I guess they thought it sounded cool” The Bride killed the Crazy 88’s because they were what was in the way of killing O-Ren, she had to get through them first.

[quote]The bride have lost herself in her vengance, and have killed too much persons, almost just for fun.
[/quote]

She didn’t kill anyone just for fun. In order for her to complete her objective, she did all that was possible and it involved killing all those people that she did. Do you not know what happened to The Bride on her wedding rehearsal day?? She was beaten the shit out of, left for dead and she lost her baby, Fiance and friends. This was the reason for her rampage, not because it was simply ‘just for fun’.

[quote]when Elle come into Budd’s caravan, Budd haven’t any shoes.[/quote]

Just because he hasn’t got any shoes on doesn’t mean The Bride is wearing them. From the looks of it, it seems Budd just woke up, and so naturally he didn’t have on any shoes. Maybe he doesn’t feel comfortable wearing shoes around his trailer. It maybe that Budd being bare-foot has something to do with that nasty fetish of Mr. Tarantino’s!

First, I just want to notice that it is not my theory. I have translated the theory that I’ve read in a french forum… So there are probably lots of wrong things, I just wanted to share it with you. But not everything is wrong, there are good points…

So I don’t have time to answer to all the questions… but I will do it for a few that I really see with an other point of view :

[quote=“Ify”]
How do we know this? It doesn’t mention it does it? Am I wrong in thinking Budd WASN’T trained by Hatori Hanzo?
[/quote]
Budd has got an Hanzo sword, so we can suppoz that he was trained by Hanzo, or at least that he knew him.

[quote=“Ify”]
Vernita also felt remorse towards The Bride - “You have every right to want to get even.” “I know I fucked you over. I fucked you over bad. I wish to God I hadn’t, but I did. If I could go back in a machine I would, but I can’t.”
[/quote]
Vernita said that to save herself. She might thought that if she said that, the bride will understand that she doesn’t really need to kill her. I think she doesn’t really agree with what she said, because just next, she wants to kill the bride just like a traitress (even if they had organize a regular fight).

[quote=“Ify”]
Well there is a good possibility he might have. I mean how many people would think to look in someone’s boots for a weapon?
[/quote]
We often see in movies people who check the boots when they know that the person is a bad person and could have hidden a weapon in his boots.

[quote=“Ify”]
Kill Bill is in a different universe to Reservoir Dogs. Budd and Mr. Blonde are not the same people.
[/quote]
I know this but I know too that there are often connections betweens the differents movies of QT

[quote=“Ify”]
How do you know this? The Bride didn’t kill the Crazy 88’s just because it sounds cool, the dialogue might have confused you. Bill told Budd that there were not 88 of them they just called themselves the Crazy 88’s, Budd asks howcome, to which Bill replies “I don’t know, I guess they thought it sounded cool” The Bride killed the Crazy 88’s because they were what was in the way of killing O-Ren, she had to get through them first.

She didn’t kill anyone just for fun. In order for her to complete her objective, she did all that was possible and it involved killing all those people that she did. Do you not know what happened to The Bride on her wedding rehearsal day?? She was beaten the shit out of, left for dead and she lost her baby, Fiance and friends. This was the reason for her rampage, not because it was simply ‘just for fun’.
[/quote]
It didn’t really say that she killed for fun, but that maybe Budd can think that. Because he wasn’t when the bride killed teh crazy 88’s, so he can’t know that she did this because she was forced of it in order to kill then O-Ren.

The sword was a gift from his bro Bill, you can read it on the sword.

Ah anyway cyber-lili translated stuff is less convincing than our statements. That’s just some rumour.

Yeh, Budd was given his Hanzo sword from Bill. Also, Ciber-lili, I understand you took it from another forum, I just went about answering it as if that person had posted it just to make it easier. I also agree that there are some good points in what was said, but a lot of it is false and it is afterall an opinion, maybe none of it is true! Also, the reasons you gave me in your latest post are also just opinions and thay are not necessarily strongly backed up and therefore can also be wrong, that’s not to say I don’t respect your opinions. As I said, a cool theory, but somewhat flawed!

Budd’s character is preety cool, and cause of that I quite fancy the idea that he in some way was morally superior to the rest of the DiVAS and more sympathetic towards the Bride’s quest (which is what makes theorys like the one cyber-lil put forward so cool to disscuss)…so yeah, its kinda fun and interesting to read deep into his actions and his obviouse sympathy towards Bea…but at the end of the day I accept the fact that probably Budd merley held the most clarical and logical perspective on the whole senario…everyone deserved to die, even the Bride, but she also deserved a chance to escape after all she’d been put through, no matter how hopelessley small the chance of escape may be, hence the texas burial and the tourch…but come on, did he honestly look as though he expected her to survive that ordeal?!? He was half-naked, hawking her Hanzo and drinking margaritas…but yeah, that stuff doesnt stop it being a cool theory, and still preety cool to conspire over 8)

[quote=“Bleach”]
Ah anyway cyber-lili translated stuff is less convincing than our statements. That’s just some rumour.
[/quote]

[quote=“Ify”]
Also, Ciber-lili, I understand you took it from another forum, I just went about answering it as if that person had posted it just to make it easier. I also agree that there are some good points in what was said, but a lot of it is false and it is afterall an opinion, maybe none of it is true! Also, the reasons you gave me in your latest post are also just opinions and thay are not necessarily strongly backed up and therefore can also be wrong, that’s not to say I don’t respect your opinions. As I said, a cool theory, but somewhat flawed!
[/quote]

Yep’ allright I understand what you say… thx anyway… but I know that we can find strange intepretation on the web… only about some boots ! :wink:

Brother Budd is one of the coolest characters in film history. His whole demeanor is just the definition of badass. To think that he was helping Kiddo out is inane. If he really was helping her out,he’d let her own him from the start, or to show the slightest bit of compassion, he wouldnt bring Ernie along…he was gross.