The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Box Office devastation for GRINDHOUSE

In its second week Grindhouse opens with merely 5M at the box office. I just want to know if QT or Robert have a worlwide fanbase, and if they do, where are they? http://movies.go.com/boxoffice <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.blackvoicesblogs.com/2007/04 … -the-gate/”>http://www.blackvoicesblogs.com/2007/04/11/hype-failure-grindhouse-stumbles-at-the-gate/</LINK_TEXT>

News like this wants to make me cry.

I found it really strange that it did so bad. I mean, where did all the QT/RR fans go? Not that I care that much, but it doesnt help anything if they want to do more of these. Which sadly I dont think will be happening now.

It also makes you wonder about Bastards and how they’ll release that when its made. It will either be a Cable TV mini series or split into 2 films like Kill Bill I guess.

I’m sure the film(s) will do better here in Europe.

Harvey was actually thinking about re-releasing Grindhouse as two films in the US too. I don’t know what’s the latest news on this.

I’m sure DVD sales will recover or even profit the 90M dollars that were put up for Grindhouse.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
I’m sure the film(s) will do better here in Europe.

Harvey was actually thinking about re-releasing Grindhouse as two films in the US too. I don’t know what’s the latest news on this.

[/quote]I don’t think they’ll be re-releasing anything, that would really cost a lot of money! New prints, more advertising, and not to mention the imminent release of blockbuster films such as Spider-Man 3.

Yeah, I don’t see it happening either, too bad.

Even though the cast/crew described over and over and over and over what “A Grindhouse movie is” on various talk shows, it’s apparent that people STILL had no clue what it was all about.

Some responses I’ve read online seemed to indicate that all the clueless idiots knew about this movie was that it had a chick with a machine-gun leg who shoots things up for 3 hours and that Kurt Russell has an invincible car. Oh and Bruce Willis and that Mexican guy with the tatoos are in it shooting at other things too. It’s embarassing to know how the advertising of this just completely went over people’s heads.

If I were to take a guess on how Grindhouse recieves it’s second life on DVD, I’ll say that we’ll (Region 1 peeps) will recieve Planet Terror/Death Proof individually first (Weinstein seems hellbent on seperating the movies at this point) and he’ll make damn sure that Planet Terror will be advertised as a zombie flick and he’ll make damn sure that Death Proof will be advertised as a slasher/action flick. I’m sure these versions will be extended too.

Then somewhere down the line (That is, hopefully if there’s enough money to guarantee a re-release) then we’ll get a super-duper edition which will include the theatrical cut (That I dearly loved) the unrated, extended editions, and a bundle of special features. I mean, there has to be a DVD version where Rodriguez HAS to have his “cooking school” featurette on J.T.'s secret BBQ recipe. And will this finally be the damn first time that QT will do an audio commentary for something he’s directed?

yeah, hopefully the profit rises up overseas and with DVD sales…

…enough to have more Grindhouse movies made

I am glad that it isn’t a commercial success…that will make it even more of a cult-classic. Fuck everybody who thinks that $$$ are the sign of a successful movie. Fuck em’

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
I am glad that it isn’t a commercial success…that will make it even more of a cult-classic. Fuck everybody who thinks that $$$ are the sign of a successful movie. Fuck em’
[/quote]

well, if you bomb, Mr. Weinstein will feel much less confident in making more Grindhouse movies, which = no Machete(unless Direct-to-DVD), no more cheap, weird QT films, and no Thanksgiving :frowning:

Loop clip discussion

"It could’ve been a franchise" :’( And fuck Pereira on that last statement.

[quote=“TurboMan”]
well, if you bomb, Mr. Weinstein will feel much less confident in making more Grindhouse movies, which = no Machete(unless Direct-to-DVD), no more cheap, weird QT films, and no Thanksgiving :frowning:
[/quote]

Machete is direct-to-video.

I live in BFE…If I want to see Grindhouse I have to drive 90 miles to Houston…maybe next month, but I will definitely see it in the theatre first.

Frankly I can’t even find one single reason why it bombed. Some people say because it came out on Easter Weekend. If that were the case it would have picked up the next weekend, but it didn’t. It fell 6 more places. Others say because it was too long. How do you explain the success of LOTR then? It consists of 10 full hours of people with pointed ears and hairy feet trying to throw a ring in a fire. Others said it was because of the R Rating, ignoring the fact that a certain movie called 300 had made 70 million in its first weekend some weeks earlier. So all I’m left with is this assumption: most people are idiots.

Very good assumption, because it’s true.

It would be one thing if it was getting bad reviews, but it didnt. People just ignored it totally.

everbody go out and watch the movie a couple more times. tell all friends, bring all friends, take your family, wear grindhouse tshirts, do whatever is in your power to bring more people to the grindhouse!

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2007/GRNDH.php

that is just a shame :frowning:

I dont think its gonna help matters at this point. GH will be gone from theaters pretty soon. :frowning:

It’s the subject matter. Very many people aren’t interested in what the films are about, regardless of whether they are good or not. I mean the only reason I’m going to go watch it is because it’s a Tarantino film. If he wasn’t involved, there’s no way I’d ever watch it.

To be honest, when I first heard about Grindhouse, I was very excited at all. The only thing I liked about it was that I’d get to see more QT material. But I am not interested in all this exploitation/horror business. I am just not into it. So I was kind of diappointed when I heard Grindhouse would be his next film.

I hope now that it has bombed, that QT will now finally get to work on Inglorious Bastards. Something tells me it will be on par with Pulp Fiction if not better.