Battle Royale II (Kinji & Kenta Fukasaku - 2003)

Rate the movie

• 1/5
  • 2/5
  • 3/5
  • 4/5
  • 5/5

0 voters

I’m sure that a bunch of you guys are fans of the great Battle Royale… Well just so ya know, there’s a 2nd one coming out. Looks good. http://tjfweb.com/br2/

I like the first one.

It´s not so deep as many people are trying to believe, but a very entertaining, provokingly story about survival and friendship. ÂÂ

And Kitano is a fantastic actor (and director, of course) !

I can’t say I like the idea of a BR sequel very much. The first film is one of my absolute favorite films, but if you would have asked me after I first watched it if there was need for a sequel, I would have said absolutely not. It’s the perfect stand alone film, there was no need to build upon anything. Add to it all, the fact that Fukasaku passed away during production. Now if the film turns out to be crap it’s going to be a spot on his record and stop him from going out with one last bang. BR would have been a perfect last film, but that’s all just my opinion. Maybe his son is just as great of a director, who knows. It definitely has a great cast. Riki Takeuchi and Sonny Chiba alone should make the film watchable.

is BR2 out yet?

yeah and I own it, it’s a fun movie to watch with friends (almost non-stop action) but it’s not as good as 1.

[quote]yeah and I own it, it’s a fun movie to watch with friends (almost non-stop action) but it’s not as good as 1.[/quote]

i havent even seen the first one. i need to do that some time. but i watch so many movies anyhow. sometimes several movies a day

an average of 2 a day for me, but most of them I’ve already seen.

but yeah “Battle Royale 2” is not as bad as alot of people are saying.

Where can you purchase BR 1 and 2?

[quote]Where can you purchase BR 1 and 2?[/quote]

If you have a china town in oyur town, you can try that (it’s where I got mine) but they have many copies on ebay aswell…

I bought the Battle Royale II DVD since a few weeks and sorry, but the film is not very good. The story is ridiculous, the action scenes are nothing new and the characters are laughable. The first one was great, but Part II by Kenta Fukasaku is bullshit. I thank God the DVD only costed 10 dollars, so I gonna sell it to a friend.

[quote]I bought the Battle Royale II  DVD since a few weeks and sorry, but the film is not very good. The story is ridiculous, the action scenes are nothing new and the characters are laughable. The first one was great, but Part II by Kenta Fukasaku is bullshit. I thank God the DVD only costed 10 dollars, so I gonna sell it to a friend.[/quote]

Oh please don´t say this! I bought the DVD and have no time to see. I will see it next Wednesday (I´m on work now, hehehe) but I hoped that it would be…hm… a 7 or 8 of 10…

Well sure Kenjis son has to shoot the rest of the movie, but it has the same scriptwriter!

What would you it give of 10 points?

[quote]

Oh please don´t say this! I bought the DVD and have no time to see. I will see it next Wednesday (I´m on work now, hehehe) but I hoped that it would be…hm… a 7 or 8 of 10…

Well sure Kenjis son has to shoot the rest of the movie, but it has the same scriptwriter!

What would you it give of 10 points?[/quote]

Out of ten points? Puh, I would give the film 3/10. Has some cool moments, but in fact its not a good movie.

Thanks!

You broke my heart… :’(

Anyway, I will see it in the next time…

[quote]Thanks!

You broke my heart…  :’(

Anyway, I will see it in the next time…
[/quote]

Breaking a heart is better than lying. So I was just honest.

bullshit!

Battle Royale 2 is a great film, sure not as good as number 1, but don’t pile shit on it. Kinji did most of it anyway, he did when it was almost done. You are missing the point too. Kinji was trying to put a message into the film. Like the message he was trying to convey in Battle Royale but in number two its infinitely more obvious. At least he is using film to actually make us think and to teach a message.

Are you american? cause that is probably why you didnt like it. i wouldnt know, but i am Australian and we are an anti-authoritarian country by nature. So the film makes sense.

BR2 isn’t bad, but it’s not very good either. The beginning is a straight copy of the first film, only with a lot worse and irritating characters. The only good actor in the film (aside Kitano, who does an excellent cameo) is Riki Takeuchi. He’s performance is completely over the top, but he’s good at that.

BR2 is not shocking or artistic like the first film. The first half is quite boring (except the Anti-Americanism). Later it turns into a mindless action film, and that’s when it becomes somewhat entertaining. But there’s a couple of really good scenes here and there.

Edit: I forgot Sonny Chiba was in this movie. That’s a good thing, of course.

yeah i do think that the first probably shouldnt of had a sequel but if you watch BR 2 and dont think of the first one and dont try to compare it and also look deeper into what Kinji was trying to say then it is a good film in its own right.

“Once upon a time, i spent my youth in the burned-out rubble created by adults. Today across the oceans, burned-out rubble proliferates by the day, and the hell fires of bombs, dropped in the name of ‘justice’, ravage the next generation. It is always the children who are sacrificed. What can i leave the children of my country, blessed as they are with everything but hope?”

-Kinji Fukasaku

In this way i think that BR 2 was a good film cause Kinji made it for a strong and applicable reason.

Plus the anti-american stuff was kind of fun lol not that i have anything against americans, dont take offense

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
(aside Kitano, who does an excellent cameo) [/quote]

dont get me started on Takeshi Kitano, i am so obsessed with him!!!

[quote=“Angel”]
Plus the anti-american stuff was kind of fun lol not that i have anything against americans, dont take offense
[/quote]

That was exactly what I ment, too. It was nice to see a film-maker who’s not afraid to say what he thinks. Whether I agree with him or not doesn’t really matter.

1/5

really didnt like, too action packed, not easy to follow (not the story but the action) it wasnt really organized, you can tell, it felt like a 2 hour trailer

love the first one though

1,5/5

I didn’t like the action, and so it was too much of it. Actors either bland or embarrassing.

The end was as stupid as the anti-american themes.

And whats with the Saving Private Ryan like scene ? A parody ?