Awkward Moments

I feel that the script was very very well done. For Kung Fu geeks like myself, this movie was the ultimate ride. I’ve grown up watching Bruce Lee and Kurosawa movies, and it’s awesome that QT has the balls to make a collaboration of what made those movies so great. One of my favorite parts is the Ironside theme. Feels like an old school video game every time I see it.

No awkward moments here. Except making the HOBL fight B&W… is it true that that was an edit for American audiences?

[quote]I don’t think the script was weaker, it was just different. I don’t think we should compare Kill Bill with Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown on any level. We shouldn’t have expected O-ren and the Bride talkin’ about cheeseburgers during the final showdown, ya know what I mean?[/quote]

I agree 100%. We need to stop contrasting and comparing the movies and just judge them based on what they are separately. Personally I love em all and I take them each for what story QT was telling at the time he wrote them.

[quote]

I guess to each his own. When I read Kill Bill, I felt it was his BEST script so far. Not so much because of the actual dialogue itself (which I feel was MEANT to be somewhat cheap and used to serve the story at hand not to impress the Pulp/Dogs lovers) but because of the storytelling aspect and his unique way of writing a screenplay. I loved every line of it. I also totally enjoyed the looseness and the format which QT used to tell the story. Its a complete Exploitation film.

Of course not everyone is into what some of us are into and thats totally cool. For instance, to me the Ironside theme is totally rockin and fun, not “cheesy”, (which to me is sort of a negative connotation). I grew up watching old school kung fu and Ive always enjoyed the music and the style of those films.

I like all kinds of films in the Exploitation genre, not just samurai films. Thats why I love Kill Bill so much it has little tastes of all of them.

[/quote]

When I think of writing, I think of the dialogue and character development. Format, camera cues (generally, and IMO) are pretty pretentious and unneeded (just from the "pure writing" perspective) seeing as how cutting/wiping/split screen/ etc are more directorial issues and choices.

Anyway, I guess I can agree to disagree with you there. I do try to see as many different types of film, but no matter how hard I try I can't just be a film lover just for the pure sake of loving film. The writing, directorial style, or acting has to appeal to me on some level or another, and most Kung Fu movies, in general, don't do it for me. However, Kill Bill nailed two out of the three so I still love it.

The shot to the head at the beginning was the worst. You kind of see it coming and then it hits you in the stomach. Almost to the point of shock, the way Uma’s head pops back. This scene has a sense of realism.

I agree with Sidewinder about the black screen and Uma breathing hard. Over the black it seriously sounds like she’s getting fucked, as soon as it cuts to her she actually gets more into it and it sounds more like crying/whimpering/pain rather than a pleasurable screan/breathing from sex.

The opening scene is my favorite in the movie. It’s dark, badass, and totally well filmed and has cool as fuck dialogue.

when I saw Kill Bill the first time I have to be honest…I was dissapointed, confused, and kinda pissed. Not until the 2nd time I really fell love in it. But one thing I still don’t like about the movie is how it’s paced at the very begining.

it’s too sudden the way everything happens…we get Uma getting shot in the face, we the audience are in shock, credits are slow but were still thinking about the first scene. It’ s slow for only a few moments then right away we have the Ironsides theme blasting LOUD…followed by a huge fight.

THis all happens within like under 10 minutes. Too much to handle I think.

THis is why I think Tarantino should of had the scene where Uma describes the massacre RIGHT after the credits. We atleast are able to calm down and rest in our seat for a few moments and listen to dialogue…THEN go into the Vernita Green knife fight.

But its still a good movie

1-The deep breathing at the begining with black frame. It almost sounds like two people having sex. When I went with my brother, he kept making jokes about it. It started getting weird.

2-Starring at those ugly-ass feet for five fuckin minutes. Creepy.

PULP DOG

[quote]I agree with Sidewinder about the black screen and Uma breathing hard. Over the black it seriously sounds like she’s getting fucked, as soon as it cuts to her she actually gets more into it and it sounds more like crying/whimpering/pain rather than a pleasurable screan/breathing from sex.

The opening scene is my favorite in the movie. It’s dark, badass, and totally well filmed and has cool as fuck dialogue.

when I saw Kill Bill the first time I have to be honest…I was dissapointed, confused, and kinda pissed. Not until the 2nd time I really fell love in it. But one thing I still don’t like about the movie is how it’s paced at the very begining.

it’s too sudden the way everything happens…we get Uma getting shot in the face, we the audience are in shock, credits are slow but were still thinking about the first scene. It’ s slow for only a few moments then right away we have the Ironsides theme blasting LOUD…followed by a huge fight.

THis is why I think Tarantino should of had the scene where Uma describes the massacre RIGHT after the credits. We atleast are able to calm down and rest in our seat for a few moments and listen to dialogue…THEN go into the Vernita Green knife fight.

But its still a good movie[/quote]

I agree with that. Maybe it wasn't the Ironside theme blasting and the zoom in that I found cheezy, but the suddeness of it. After all, I didn't have any trouble with the theme once we got to the O-Ren chapters.

However, I differ on walking away the first time confused and pissed. I was only confused and pissed until somewhere around or a little after she killed Buck. After the movie slowed down, and I managed to recover from the initial "shock" of the first two chapters, I really, really, REALLY enjoyed it. Hopefully Volume 2 will have a slower, more developed opening.

Agree. I def think Vol 2 will be more slower…especially scenes with Budd.

after seeing Kill Bill the 2nd & 3rd time is when I really got into it and understood how awesome it was. It wasn’t till I noticed the samurai swords on the plane in the 3rd viewing and went, “This movie is kick ass” Its litle details like having samurai swords on a plane that make the film so special.

I also thought it was kinda cheesy the first time they played the theme with the flashback because you had no idea wut the fuck was going on. But the 2nd and 3rd time it was used was really great, especially in the bathroom w/ Sofie to build up tension.

Also the first time they bleeped out the bride’s name was weird for me because i actually knew that it was supposed to be there and everyone else in the audience was confused and shaking their heads

[quote]I also thought it was kinda cheesy the first time they played the theme with the flashback because you had no idea wut the fuck was going on. But the 2nd and 3rd time it was used was really great, especially in the bathroom w/ Sofie to build up tension.
[/quote]

Yeah, I liked the other two times it was used - just forgot about 'em. The part with Sophie Fatale was hilarious, because he cuts away just as the music starts playing, and the whole time after that you just KNOW that Bride is fucking her up. And it was pretty cool how that other theme was blended with the Ironside theme at the very end and you see O-Ren’s eyes framed in red as the Bride is approaching or whatever.

wait, is the Ironside theme the song they play during the way end and the credits?

because that song is pimp shit, I was whistling it for two days

"does she know her daughter is still alive?"

da-naa-na-na-na-na-na-NANANA!!!

no, thats “The Lonely Shephard” and I think its the song that like…totally DEFINES the movie. Awesome song.

We are talking about the Ironsides theme…when the camera frame turns a brownish red and we see the Bride getting beat up and the DiVAS looking at her. the song just sounds like pulsating hot blood and anger

wait, you’re not talking about the “warning!” music are you? the music that sounds kinda like a siren…

if that’s the Ironside theme or not, Kill Bill wouldnt be the same without that warning siren music, I crack up everytime I hear it

yeah I laughed too

[quote]yeah I laughed too[/quote]

.....so.....is it the Ironside theme or not?

Yes it is

Haha, I agree. When I first heard the Ironside theme when Vernita Opens the door, I couldn’t help but giggle in my seat. I thought it added a great “feel” to the movie, and basically told the audience that, “hey, we’re going to have fun with this movie.”

[quote]I agree with Sidewinder about the black screen and Uma breathing hard. Over the black it seriously sounds like she’s getting fucked, as soon as it cuts to her she actually gets more into it and it sounds more like crying/whimpering/pain rather than a pleasurable screan/breathing from sex.

But its still a good movie[/quote]

Seriously, it’s probably too soon for me to say for sure, but I think the prologue is edging out the part in PF when Vincent shoots up as my favorite QT scene ever. It was totally perfect in my eyes. Some great fuckin acting by Uma didn’t fucking hurt either. But I have to disagree that the “Blood-Spattered Bride” chapter should have come right after it. I find it cool how the first thing you see after the credits is the Bride all normal looking and in full color and shit–a nice contrast.

[quote]But I have to disagree that the “Blood-Spattered Bride” chapter should have come right after it. I find it cool how the first thing you see after the credits is the Bride all normal looking and in full color and shit–a nice contrast.
[/quote]

You’re right it was a nice contrast. For a person that never read the script before the movie was released, I thought that was the ending. Then the rest of the movie would be The Bride’s journey up to that point where Bill eventually kills her. However, that was all clearified in chapter 2. :slight_smile: