Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier

I feel bad for that black guy. That scene made me cringe.

yea Chiba just comes through the window, but the guy deserved it he was trying to rape that woman.

I hate the fact that they left extras aside and released them on a disc that only Circuit City included in the package. bunch of retards. not the ultimate edition to me

[quote=“Sebastian”]
I hate the fact that they left extras aside and released them on a disc that only Circuit City included in the package. bunch of retards. not the ultimate edition to me
[/quote]

huh? there where alot of special features.

Seeing as I haven’t watched the movie (yeah I know) and therefore don’t really know which is better of the two versions, this is indeed a package for me. They only sell a cheap Redux version here (that’s Norway, btw), but I want to see the original too. Ok, so HOD isn’t on it. I want to watch that too, but the real crime is that it hasn’t been released on DVD at all either. Why?

Anyways, I’m a little confused. This is a 2-disc release, right? But you said both movies were spread across the discs? Wouldn’t that make it 4-disc? Or do they both start on the same disc and end on the other? Cause that’s just weird.

disc one- Regular and redux Disc 2-special features

i prefer the redux.

Two movies on the same disc? Isn’t that like 350 minutes? Doesn’t that reduce the quality a lot?

na, redux and normal version have same parts so they just added to the normal Version some chapters to make it redux …i think that s the way they made it …

[i]Paramount Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse on 20th November 2007.

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse is an engrossing, unwavering look back at Francis Ford Coppola’s chaotic, catastrophe-plagued Vietnam production, Apocalypse Now. Filled with juicy gossip and a wonderful behind-the-scenes look at the stressful world of moviemaking, the documentary mixes on-location home movies shot in the Philippines by Eleanor Coppola, the director’s wife, with revealing interviews with the cast and crew, shot 10 years later.

Released theatrically in 1991, the documentary comes to DVD with the following features:

* Commentary by Francis and Eleanor Coppola

* â€

Wow!That´s great, best documentary ever made. It´s really funny to see how Brando busted Coppola´s balls. I´ve seen it once few years ago and remember great interviews etc.

I saw Redux yesterday and I was really impressed. Well at the first act anyways. Sadly, by the time they got to Brando I just didn’t care anymore. It was too boring. I get that they wanted to show the “madness of war” and everything, and the first act is great at that. But all the good parts are in the first part. The Kilgore stuff, the tiger and the Playboy show was all great, but when they got to the French plantation I was just saying “oh no”. And I didn’t get the ending at all, seems like it was made by someone very very high. It was really just Brando and Hopper raving on and Martin Sheen not saying anything and then it was over. Sorry for all who likes the film. I want to myself, but the second half is so pointless.

“Who’s the commanding officer here?”, long blank stare for 5 minutes, “I don’t know”.

I wish I could have watched the original, but do they even sell that in Region 2 anymore?

i’m sure you can find it some places…

with the hearts of darkness documentary, and the “complete dossier” edition PLUS the circuit-city exlusive disc, THAT would then finally be something i’d spend my money on.

Im def picking up Hearts of Darkness on DVD, I only have the old VHS of it.

Yes, I’m going to get the Hearts Of Darkness DVD too when it comes out since I’ve never watched it. I just wish I could see Apocalypse Now in the original version. Redux is too long, in my opinion anyways.

Anyways, it might improve on second viewing. I know tons of movies that have started great and not so good that have improved on second viewing. Goodfellas, for example. I loved the first half, but the movie is 150 minutes long and I started to lose interest in the end the first the time I watched. Then I watched it a second time and now it’s one of my favorite movies.

The movie is long for a reason. At the end of the journey you feel drained out…just like Martin Sheen’s character. You experience what the character experiences.

I still like the theatrical cut over Redux. I just wasnt that interested/impressed by the extra sequences.

[quote=“Scarface”]
The movie is long for a reason. At the end of the journey you feel drained out…just like Martin Sheen’s character. You experience what the character experiences.
[/quote]
Though I was going to call that statement for bullshit initially, I’m actually starting to think you may be right. When we got the French plantation and everybody was talking about the war, I felt a bit like Willard. In other words: I didn’t care. And the Kurtz-scenes were kinda mad. But I’m going to watch the film a second time to really find out what I think about it.

I’ve only ever seen redux - how does it differ from the theatrical cut? Which are the extra scenes?

google?

but here’s a scene by scene comparison: Apocalypse Now - Schnittbericht: Kinofassung (Schnittberichte.com)

again, i prefer the redux, because even though it’s longer, the plantation scene is key to a film like this that’s so very political. most cinema goers have no idea about the history of the indochina wars so bringing the french element into it is really a great stroke by coppola.

and the playboy scenes are great too because they add more absurdity and naked boobs :wink:

with the ending, i dont know. the german dvd has both endings and the audio commentary by coppola explains why he changed his mind and picked the other ending for redux and it does make sense, although it’s less satisfactory.

but in the end it’s all about absurdity.

btw, i can warmly recommend reading Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, a great read

[quote=“Sebastian”]
google?[/quote]

I really couldn’t be bothered at the time!

Thanks for the advice Seb and the link. I definitely will check out Heart of Darkness.