Any akira kurosawa fans here?

i have seven samurai, rashomon and ran in my collection. absolutely loved these films, apart from ran which i found boring and severely overacted with pointless scenes and characters. anyway i want to see more of his work so far i want to see the following:

Ikiru

Yojimbo

Sanjuro

throne of blood

the quiet duel

hidden fortress

feel free to comment about my selection, whether youv seen them and thought they were good or bad and what other kurosawa movies are worth watching

Hey there.

I fell in love with Kurosawa about a year and a half ago. So far I’ve seen…

Drunken Angel

Stray Dog

Scandal

Rashomon

The Idiot

Ikiru

Seven Samurai

I Live in Fear

The Hidden Fortress

The Bad Sleep Well

Yojimbo

Sanjuro

I will also probably be watching No Regrets For Our Youth and One Wonderful Sunday this week, since I own them but haven’t watched them yet.

My favorites so far are Drunken Angel and Stray Dog, and I tend to prefer his post-war movies to his period pieces, but that’s just because I don’t watch a tonne of period movies anyway.

My least favorite so far is The Idiot, because it’s a complete mess, but it’s still worth watching if you want to watch all of his movies. Plus, Toshiro Mifune looks damn fine in that film.

How was The Quiet Duel? I’ve been looking for it everywhere but can’t seem to get my hands on it.

i still havent seen it, ive only seen rashoman, ran and the seven samurai. they list i made were films i wanted to see but wasnt sure how good they were or what i was missing on. as i said i was loving his movies right up until i saw ran which was a travesty!

Ahh, sorry I misunderstood.

If you liked Seven Samurai and Rashomon a lot, you should definitely try and see Yojimbo and Hidden Fortress next, because they are in a similar vein, just maybe not as epic.

It’s always especially disappointing when you really start to get into a director, and then you find some random movie that really isn’t very good. I remember renting the idiot and bringing it home and telling my roommates and some friends about how amazing Kurosawa was and that they should watch it with me, and of course it was the first movie by him that I feel was a complete failure and now all of them refuse to watch any of his movies, which is very unfortunate.

i know what you mean im a big hitchcock fan, every movie i watched proceeded the next till i watched sabatouer and it was TERRIBLE! lets hope it doesnt happen to tarantino, hes doing well so far.

Everybody’s a Kurosawa fan. :smiley:

One of my absolute favourites though, is his adaptation of The Lower Depths. His film and also Jean Renoir’s adaptation are among my favourite films. I don’t know why, they just really excited me.

i like your churchill quote my favourite churchill quote is: “We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English.”

[quote=“dandadub”]
i like your churchill quote my favourite churchill quote is: “We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English.”
[/quote]

The quotes perfect for me cause I am pretty obsessive and have a habit of talking only about film or video games to everyone I meet. :stuck_out_tongue:

Churchill had some great quotes though :slight_smile: