Antichrist (Lars Von Trier)

Anyone see this yet?

Intially I wasn’t sure if I liked it or not but its stayed in my memory. the more i think of it the more I think i really like it…its totally fucked up though!

It sounds pretty tame to me.

Although it was compared to Zulawski’s Possession so that has piqued my interest.

I’m still waiting for it come out here. I’m excited for the talking fox and genital mutilation.

tame is not the would I would use to describe it!

its actually the most unsettling film ive ever seen and not really due to the gory bits in it. Its the coldness of the characters, the atmosphere, and images that blur the line between whats horrific and beautiful. if the film was just gory it could be written off and laughed at but its much more than that.

[quote=“blue_lou_boyle”]
tame is not the would I would use to describe it!

its actually the most unsettling film ive ever seen and not really due to the gory bits in it. Its the coldness of the characters, the atmosphere, and images that blur the line between whats horrific and beautiful. if the film was just gory it could be written off and laughed at but its much more than that.
[/quote]

Really? I think it seems tame.

I’d recommend watching Polish cinema if you enjoy being unsettled. I really like the look Trier has given Anti-Christ.

I really want to see this one.

I wouldn’t mind checking it out sometime. Although I’ve learned that any time arthouse critics call something brutal or disturbing, the majority of the time they’re not accustomed to what your average gorehound consumes so it turns out to be pretty tame. Violence isn’t the only reason to see some of these flicks, but when it’s so talked about I at least expect something truly brutal.

its not gory really in the sense that grindhouse movies are at all. Its got a chilling sort of early 20th century european theatre thing going on mixed with 21st century clinical rationalism. The disturbing thing about it is the lack of decency or warmth shown by the two characters and the natural world that surrounds them. Its a total arthouse movie that im sure 90% of people in here will hate. Though if you’ve seen some Nic Roeg stuff like Don’t Look Now and Bad Timing you might like it.

[quote=“blue_lou_boyle”]
its not gory really in the sense that grindhouse movies are at all. Its got a chilling sort of early 20th century european theatre thing going on mixed with 21st century clinical rationalism. The disturbing thing about it is the lack of decency or warmth shown by the two characters and the natural world that surrounds them. Its a total arthouse movie that im sure 90% of people in here will hate. Though if you’ve seen some Nic Roeg stuff like Don’t Look Now and Bad Timing you might like it.
[/quote]I’ll end up checking it out no doubt, just hate when flicks receive endless amounts of hype for their violence when there’s much worse out there. Such is the case with anything from Gaspar Noe. Still, anything that causes as much outrage as it did at Cannes HAS to be worth checking out.