• Rear Window
  • North by Northwest
  • Vertigo
  • Psycho
  • The Birds
  • To Catch a Thief
  • Marnie

0 voters

I really like “North by Northwest” most and think that “The birds” is very much underrated indeed.

But what do you consider to be Hitchcock’s best work?

// Sorry for my broken english 8)

I always hesitate between Psycho and The Birds, which I think are the 2 best movies of Hitchcock. But I will choose Psycho

It’s definitely Vertigo. This film is perfect. First time I saw it it scared me a bit, now I just enjoy it for it is so comfortable to watch. It has a great music, great actors and a really great location. If I ever go to America, I’ll se San Francisco, I loved that city and the way Hitchcock made it look. He said it’s the American Paris.

‘North by Northwest’ is probably his best film…although personelly my fav is ‘To catch a thief’ and his adaption of ‘Rebecca’.

No his best is actually Psycho, it is my third favourite after Rear Window (I haven’t seen many Hitchcock films yet, I want to see “To Catch A Thief”, so my list can change). Psycho was a bit too exaggerated, but it has a very good soundtrack and STORY. I didn’t find the bathroom scene scaring, first time I saw Psycho as a kid in a cinema, it was my first Hitchcock film, I found it weird, I though that the killer is always missing and never saw how knife really cuts the girl. What I found scary was when that girl was wandering about the house, but the most scary and disturbing scenes were Norman Bates sitting in the cell, and when he ran to the basement with a knife, cause he seemed so sick. After I saw the movie I watched it again and when Norman was bringing her mother’s corpse down to the basement, I imagined how would he look form the FRONT, with a psychotic face, talking like a woman and bringing a corpse. It’s the sickest part I think.

It was funny how the girl (fuck, forgot her name) could listen to all the conversation from the very far house through a rainstorm. And it was funny when he was drowning her car and once it stopped drowning deeper.

Anyway it’s a great film, one of my favourite horror films of all time.

[quote=“Bleach”]
No his best is actually Psycho, it is my third favourite after Rear Window (I haven’t seen many Hitchcock films yet, I want to see “To Catch A Thief”, so my list can change). Psycho was a bit too exaggerated, but it has a very good soundtrack and STORY. I didn’t find the bathroom scene scaring, first time I saw Psycho as a kid in a cinema, it was my first Hitchcock film, I found it weird, I though that the killer is always missing and never saw how knife really cuts the girl. What I found scary was when that girl was wandering about the house, but the most scary and disturbing scenes were Norman Bates sitting in the cell, and when he ran to the basement with a knife, cause he seemed so sick. After I saw the movie I watched it again and when Norman was bringing her mother’s corpse down to the basement, I imagined how would he look form the FRONT, with a psychotic face, talking like a woman and bringing a corpse. It’s the sickest part I think.

It was funny how the girl (fuck, forgot her name) could listen to all the conversation from the very far house through a rainstorm. And it was funny when he was drowning her car and once it stopped drowning deeper.

Anyway it’s a great film, one of my favourite horror films of all time.
[/quote]

That’s why I choose Psycho, and why I love this movie… Good answered Bleach

[quote=“Mr_BG”]
I really like “North by Northwest” most and think that “The birds” is very much underrated indeed.

But what do you consider to be Hitchcock’s best work?

// Sorry for my broken english 8)
[/quote]

Hi!

I moved your topic to the surveys, polls and fav list board, cuz you asked for the fav one.
For the director Hitchcock in general Johnny Exhale made a topic in the directors child board awhile ago:
Check it out:
http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php?topic=2490.0

My fav is Birds right now, but I felt in love with Hitchcock after seeing Sabotage. The scene on the market place killed me.

Why aren’t ‘The Lodger’, ‘The 39 Steps’, ‘The Lady Vanishes’, ‘Rope’ and ‘Frenzy’ amongst many many others on that list?

I think his best is ‘Psycho’ but as for my personal favourite it is a toss-up between ‘The 39 Steps’, ‘The Lady Vanishes’ and ‘Rear Window’.

[quote=“Clinton Morgan”]
Why aren’t ‘The Lodger’, ‘The 39 Steps’, ‘The Lady Vanishes’, ‘Rope’ and ‘Frenzy’ amongst many many others on that list?
[/quote]
I haven’t seen these movies, sorry. But you listed them, so everything is o.k., right?

[quote=“Bleach”]
It’s definitely Vertigo. This film is perfect. First time I saw it it scared me a bit, now I just enjoy it for it is so comfortable to watch. It has a great music, great actors and a really great location. If I ever go to America, I’ll se San Francisco, I loved that city and the way Hitchcock made it look. He said it’s the American Paris.
[/quote]

yeah, i chose Vertigo too even though its a real close call

people who pick The Birds seriously dont know shit, that movie is like Zoolander compared to his other work

i was having doubts between Vertigo & Rear Window but like Bleach said, Vertigo is just perfect

runner ups are: Dial M For Murder, The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934), Rebecca, The 39 Steps, Shadow of a Doubt & Strangers on a Train + pretty much anything

you cant make a selection out of his stuff, hes the best director ever, simple as that, i saw every movie he made (even his early 20’s stuff that was never released) and still get amazed by the greatness of them, he shits on modern directors from the grave, nobody ever topped him

I used to love that TV series he had…i mean he didnt write all of the stories in it, but it was still a preety cool show.

[quote=“Johny_Exhale”]
yeah, i chose Vertigo too even though its a real close call

people who pick The Birds seriously dont know shit, that movie is like Zoolander compared to his other work

i was having doubts between Vertigo & Rear Window but like Bleach said, Vertigo is just perfect

runner ups are: Dial M For Murder, The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934), Rebecca, The 39 Steps, Shadow of a Doubt & Strangers on a Train + pretty much anything

you cant make a selection out of his stuff, hes the best director ever, simple as that, i saw every movie he made (even his early 20’s stuff that was never released) and still get amazed by the greatness of them, he shits on modern directors from the grave, nobody ever topped him
[/quote]

Yeah, you’re right, man. He made a lot of movies, but I was watching Vertigo DVD bonus Obsessed with Vertigo, where they said Hitchcock paid really much attention to the film. since he was afraid of heights and a genius, he made the movie perfect.

Dial M For Murder was a really great movie, it was so goddamn interesting to watch, but I only saw it recorded in a tape from a TV plus dubbed, and it is the worst combination you can get, so it ruined the movie in a way. The sound was terrible.

Cool, man, you’re a fan. He’s my favourite director, but I can’t say if he’s the BEST, anyway he’s the most stylish. I have to see all of his works too. And actually you can pick the best film. I easily picked Vertigo, cause I love the atmosphere and I can totally enjoy it from beginning to end.

[quote=“Jot”]
I used to love that TV series he had…i mean he didnt write all of the stories in it, but it was still a preety cool show.
[/quote]

Well, I used to watch TV series it was called “Alfred Hitchcock presents” and I loved it too. I have some five tapes full of these series recorded. But you’re right, only few were really directed by Hitchcock, anyway he appeared in the beginning and the end stylishly. One of our critics said that “these series were fastly made up commercial pieces, decorated with Hitchcock’s name”. Some of them were really cool, the Four Rooms inspirer with the maniacal finger cutter, the one where guy cut people in pieces in subway tunnels, the one were guy got paralised and was cut alive, and the one where a woman was buried alive. At least it was very fun to watch.

[quote=“Bleach”]

Well, I used to watch TV series it was called “Alfred Hitchcock presents” and I loved it too. I have some five tapes full of these series recorded. But you’re right, only few were really directed by Hitchcock, anyway he appeared in the beginning and the end stylishly. One of our critics said that “these series were fastly made up commercial pieces, decorated with Hitchcock’s name”. Some of them were really cool, the Four Rooms inspirer with the maniacal finger cutter, the one where guy cut people in pieces in subway tunnels, the one were guy got paralised and was cut alive, and the one where a woman was buried alive. At least it was very fun to watch.
[/quote]

Yeah thats the one!

that show was great, …that subway ep was one of my Favriotes 8)

In this TV serie, has someone seen the episode called The Landlady. Ihaven’t but I look for it, if someone could help me, it woudl be nice :wink:

i’m glad somebody mentioned ROPE. strongly recommended!

Well my favorite is “Strangers on a train” That one should have been on the list.

Oh yes. That is a good one, especially the moment under the merry-go-round (or is it waltzser?).

Ooohhhh! I LOVE that bit!

[quote=“elkie”]
Well my favorite is “Strangers on a train” That one should have been on the list.
[/quote]
Yes, but there is no way to edit, I think.

No, I dont think there is!