A thought...JUST a thought

now quentin has said that he makes two kinds of movies. one that is in the real world (pulp fiction, jackie brown, reservoir dogs) and those that are movies in “real world” (such as kill bill and from dusk to dawn).

so here is my theory. what if steve buscemi’s part in pulp fiction is actually Mr. Pink. think about it. he went to jail and is now on parol and is stuck being a waiter at this restuarant. he really didnt seem to enjoy his job there at all

all his movies are in the movie world…PF, JB and RD arent realistic…just because its obvious that Kill bill and from dusk till dawn arent realistic doesnt mean that the others are realistic…

as far as mr pink being in PF…yeah I think that could be so…but I think that it was before RD then…in dogs he mentioned doing crappy jobs…for minimum wage…so first PF and than RD…

JB and RD are pretty realistic to me. What is unrealistic about them.

Mr Blonde has a point! How in the hell aren’t they realistic?

unrealistic:

• the dialogue, nobody talks this way…es spes not any gangsters…it feels realistic but really isnt…its poetic in a normal kind of way…

• drawing a square with your fingers in mid air…

• the “old movie” background when they drive (cabride+vince driving mia)

• Some story and plot things: like: do jules and vincent really need the wolf?

But the main thing is the dialogue…I’m aware that it feels realistic but if you think about it…it really isnt…its all a story told in movie style…and realistic and movie style is something else…its all movie reality…

I said JB and RD, not PF. I dont think PF is realistic. But JB and RD are realistic. Dont they?

Jackie Brown is QT’s most realistic movie to date. Pulp and Dogs are realistic too in a way, I think, but they have their “movie” moments, e.g. the magic bullets, the adrenaline shot, the briefcase as in the case of Pulp, and the fact that Orange survives after 2 shots while Eddie and Joe get killed with 1 shot at the end of Dogs. I have to disagree about some of tarantino_is_god’s comments though. Pulp Fiction’s dialgoue is realistic as hell; you’d think the actors are improvising other than acting. And I think Jules and Vincent were really in deep shit and really needed the Wolf’s assistant.

uhm yeah sorry…the main thing is the dialogue…read what I’ve said about that above…I think that counts for all of QT’s movies…

for RD:

The world of diamont heists and crooks may be real enough, but once it has been refracted through QT’s pop-cultural sensibility it emerges as darkly comic and extremely knowing.

• would oldtimer mr blue really have an opinion on madonna?
  • Do criminals discuss cop shows and routs to their jobs?
  • Would orange after surviving several gunshots really confess to mr white in that inapropiate moment?
  • Is the mr blonde dance and torture realistic?

answers to these questions are probably: NO

something QT understands implicitly and just one of the reasons why film is better than real life.

come on…this is basic QT here…all his movies are in the movie movie world…

Actually,Jackie Brown is pretty realistic.Reason being it is actually from Elmore Leonard himself.

[quote]Actually,Jackie Brown is pretty realistic.Reason being it is actually from Elmore Leonard himself.[/quote]

yeah but the movie is what you get when QT has taken that and blended it in his own style…making it QT…so there goes realism, which is not a bad thing!

[quote]

yeah but the movie is what you get when QT has taken that and blended it in his own style…making it QT…so there goes realism, which is not a bad thing![/quote]

I don't understand. Are you saying Jackie Brown wasn't realistic? If so please give examples.

[quote]

I don’t understand. Are you saying Jackie Brown wasn’t realistic? If so please give examples.[/quote]

I’m saying that all of QT’s movies arent realistic…his movies feel realistic…but if you really think about it they arent realistic…the dialogue is more a form of art than realistic…it really is on the edge…

I had this discussion with starkey already in the FDTD section and we (I) came to the conclusion that it depends on what you call realism…if realism is: theoretically it can happen, so its realistic…than imo even vampires are realistic…

[quote]

I’m saying that all of QT’s movies arent realistic…his movies feel realistic…but if you really think about it they arent realistic…the dialogue is more a form of art than realistic…it really is on the edge…

I had this discussion with starkey already in the FDTD section and we (I) came to the conclusion that it depends on what you call realism…if realism is: theoretically it can happen, so its realistic…than imo even vampires are realistic…
[/quote]

By that logic the only realistic footage you could ever see is if you grab your videocamera and film people walking off the street. There’s a big fine line between vampires and someone talking of cheeseburgers in terms of realism. I have to disagree with you about the fact that vampires are realistic. They are fictional characters; bottom line is that they can’t exist in the real world. Ever. However it’s very possible for two people talking about cheeseburgers in the car or a guy complaining about not wanting to go in the trunk of his mate’s vehicle. Maybe it’s a matter of perception, but FDTD and Kill Bill hold much more suspensio of disbelief than any other of QT’s work.

I’m not saying that vampires are realistic…I meant if you follow that kind of definition on realism, than even vampires are realistic…

I agree…Kill bill and FDTD are obviously much less realistic than the other QT movies…but this doesnt make them realistic…

I also agree that 2 guys could have that discussion about hamburgers in real life…but if you take the whole movie…and add all the things that QT blended in his stories…its not realistic…well not in my book…imo its more a form of art (movie) than anything resembling reality…its all in the movie world…with the references to other movies, black humour, coolness, etc…

BTW I would really like to know Toothpicks opinion on this subject…

The 2 QT Universes are The Realer Than Real World (Dogs, Pulp, True Romance) and The Movie Movie Universe (FDTD, Kill Bill, NBK).

Jackie Brown takes place in Elmore Leonards Universe. Id say out of all the movies. Jackie Brown is the most true to life.

None of QTs own movies are completely real to me. They are hyper-realistic. And Kill Bill Vol 1 takes place in a a Movie Universe, so its definitely not real world stuff.

yeah, I think I can agree with you scarface…about the dialogue having nothing to do with it…the dialogue comes from a man (QT) that is rambling on and on just like his characters in his movies…QT is talking the way they do in his movies…so thats real…you re totally right…

and TPVV: thanks again for having a well formulated good opinion that always clears things up and puts them in perspective!

tarantino is god, you need too hang around different stereotypes more often.

Tarantino’s dialogue is what helps the movie be so real. Normal movies characters never talk like people. They talk about the plot and whats going on. Thats stupid. It makes the characters just a puthetic tool to move the story which is already weak because now characters have to move it through dialogue.

The process shots in the cab ride and the SQUARE have nothing to do with realism. When we’re watching a movie. We’re in that world. So would Butch REALLY be in a cab with a process shot behind him? NO. THATS JUST HOW THE MOVIE WAS MADE. IT has nothing to do with REALISM. It has nothing to do with ANYTHING INSIDE the movie’s STORY.

The square thing I can’t explain, In my opinion it wa stupid cause for one it wasnt’ even a square it was a rectangle.

The Wolf situation I understand what you mean. But I don’t think his only job was to come and order them what to do. He was basically a connection to help deal with the dead body of Marvin. He probably was also authoirty so people didn’t start yelling and fighting…no one wants to yell at the Wolf. Get it?

Now back to the dialogue. Sorry, but people I know…we discuss and talk just like in Tarantino movies. We have humerous stories we share (Mr. Orange’s fake marijuanna story) we have stupid useless facts we tell eachother (Vincent and Jules disussing Amsterdam) and we discuss different types of music.

the whole situation at Lance’s hosue when Vincent brings Mia I feel is one of the most realistic scenes ever. Chaos, yelling, fighting. That scene is so brillant.

in Jackie Brown, sitting around getting stoned and watching TV. How is that NOT realistic?

Now somethings do seem farfetched…but its a movie. But that doesn’t mean movies can’t be somewhat realistic. Out of all gangster type movies I’ve seen I think this one is most realistic. I hang around nothing but future criminals. And its all so reminicent.

When Tarantino was writing scripts back in the 80s he got ideas for dialgue from talking with people. Read “Quentin tarantino ; the film geek files” there’s a few pages dedicated to that subject. The whole “I’d fuck Elvis” monologue was once told to Quentin by a friend.

His dialogue is so popular because its so real. People really talk like that…

You can argue this, but then I have to ask, “Are you out in the real world talking to all sorts of people?” I am.

I’m 22…have an IQ of 148…live in one of the best countries in the world…I drive an Italian sports car convertible…and have lots of friends and make a lot of money…fuck I hate this…I dont want to defend myself…but couldnt resist…dont make statements just to piss people off…I had the discussion already with scarface…and he already made it clear…but in a normal way…

The reason why I questioned the dialogue is because on the CE of pulp fiction 2 movie critics question the reality of QT’s dialogue…

QT is a pop art director who makes movies that take place in the movie world…thus not really realistic…but movie reality with some on the edge connections to reality…imo… I wanted to question the dialogue part with some people who have feeling with QT movies and have a good opinion on them…people like TPVV and scarface are the people to talk to if you want some shit cleared that you re not a 100% sure of…es spes if you just watched 2 movie critics who question the same thing…thats why dude…thats the only reason…dont go guessing any other reason…or else just ask!

dont mean to be a dick but, defent yourself?

hahaha…yeah sorry…defend…I was typing fast…I’ll edit it…