2010 - Track Your Films

Good Will Hunting - 5/5

Maybe Robin Williams isnt so bad of an actor as I thought he was.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest - 4/5

Overrated.

A Dangerous Man 7/10 Good new Seagal movie!

Rogue 1/10 Stupid crocodile movie. Kudos to the filmmakers though for killing off Sam Worthington after like 10 sentences from him.

I really liked Rogue. Not the best “Killer Croc movie” but there’s really no such thing as a bad “Killer Croc movie”. Didn’t even realize Sam Worthington was in it, though.

I have yet to see Lake Placid (bought the DVD), but Alligator starring Robert Forster was much better.

That’s what a good Alligator movie looks like:

Giant alligator crashes party - YouTube

IMO, Rogue didn’t offer anything. It wasn’t neither scary nor funny or over the top, not really dramatic and not entertaining. It wasn’t clever and it wasn’t exciting. It was boring.

I haven’t seen Alligator but I’ll check it out. You should watch Lake Placid. Not a great movie but if you don’t take it too seriously (as should be done with most monster movies) it can be pretty fun.

Invictus - 1/5

A very inacurate movie. They should have got a South African to play the lead role not Matt Damon. Accents were butchered. And didnt mention that The All Blacks were food poisioned by South African chefs a day before the final. Clint Eastwood deserves to get shot for making this. It will no doubt get nominated for best picture at the Academy Awards and could possibly win. But Invictus was made for ignorant Americans that dont know anything about Rugby. Although I have to say Morgan Freeman did a good job at playing Nelson Mandela.

Decided to see it again on a whim and it’s nicely settled into an above average but below spectacular epic, which I would argue is most of them. Beats the hell outta Titanic every time though.

Law of Desire - 4/5

Nice to see such a steady progression of quality since his earlier work, this one being his best up to that point. As he slowly shook the trappings of television the cinematic came out in him, I couldn’t be happier with the result as I am here. Almodovar rocks, in all his gay, melodramatic, and outrageous glory.

[quote=“Mr.Pink”]Good Will Hunting - 5/5

Maybe Robin Williams isnt so bad of an actor as I thought he was.
[/quote]

Check out then One Hour Photo, it’ll def change your mind about Robin Williams and prove you he sure can be a good actor (in some films at least).

Yeah, he’s a good actor when he’s not trying to be funny.

Re-watch:

2001: A Space Odyssey (Blu Ray) - 9.5/10

I bought the sweet special edition 10-disc boxset not long after it was released (I’ve just tried looking for pics of it and it seems quite a few places have stopped selling it) and I completely LOVE it. The box art and the art work for the seperate cases is absolutely amazing. I’m really into aesthetics, and let me tell you, everytime I look at that boxset, I drool, hahaha! Well anyway, I’m really happy with the new transfer treatments the films got (especially FMJ). 2001 also, looks absolutely brilliant. I watched it the other day to decide if I should get it on Blu Ray, and I decided against it as the DVD looked good enough. However, I then gave in and purchased the Blu Ray, and I’m all the happier for it. They have done an excellent job with the image, you would not be able to tell that the film is 40 years old.

Watching it on my 40" HD TV on 1080/24p Blu Ray was bliss!! The 24p is when it outputs the film like it was in the cinema. It’s slowed down compared to regular TV, and therefore motion is displayed seamlessly. It’s so smooth and balletic. Kubrick would be proud ;D

Well anyway, I love this film and I love how it just takes its time with everything. It has some amazing sequences and some of its connections to Pink Floyd make it all the more special. It’s a cinematic masterpiece.

I got this one from France which looks pretty similar to yours.

Halloween 2 (Rob Zombie’s film) - 4/5

Now before you all blast me, if you just hate his films because you can’t take anything fresh in the Halloween series, then don’t even reply. Now, first of all, Rob Zombie has to be the most underrated Hollywood director that takes the most shit today. With someone that references other films and genres (like another huge director we all know ::slight_smile: ) he sures takes alot of shit for putting out something new to a franchise.

I like this qoute from E! online’s review "Halloween II attempts some ambitious genre bending that doesn’t always work and that may occasionally evoke laughter. Yet there’s often much more in play than the obvious."

Also from E! online, "A bizarre mashup of grindhouse and art house, Rob Zombie’s latest redneck rampage is unlikely to fully satisfy hardcore devotees of either genre. Yet there’s a lot going on here that’s worth a look, even if the writer-director’s reach occasionally exceeds his grasp."

What I get from “exceeds his grasp” is people look at him in a “horror director” way, and he is actually offering more than a genre film. They go on and say he visual references to the likes of French cinema pioneer Georges Méliès. I personally see he likes to use a “Noir” like visual style, by using shadows to hide his actors and follows them in different camera movements, like windows and long hallways. I find it had balls for a franchise like a Halloween, to have a freedom to do what you want, not caring how people will take it.

[quote=“cyber-lili”]I got this one from France which looks pretty similar to yours.

[/quote]

Yeah, it’s similar to that! Looks well sick!

To Live and Die in L.A.

the film opens up with a scene that is pretty much the perfect tone-setter for the rest of the film and the city of L.A. itself. an islamic extremist on top of a hotel, dynamite strapped to his chest, Petersen trying to talk him down, his partner coming up from beneath, flinging the extremist into the air and then boom: a beautiful display of guts and bloody particles. Friedkin doesn’t want to make the usual macho montage here. his cop film is assuredly different with hints of surrealism and hallucinations. the decision to use a physically deformed man in a wheelchair where many directors would’ve gone with some feminine artfag in a scarf is an example of Friedkin’s use of the strange to transcend the boundaries of the typical police procedural, which this would’ve been right down to the “i’m too old for this shit”. the surrealist tone of l.a. radiates from one scene to the next as Petersen’s laughably macho character refers to criminals as “douchebags” and spouts off some of the best one-liners i’ve ever heard like “you want bread, fuck a baker” and it just becomes this self-aware performances edged with icy cool intensity in scenes like the car chase through the brown and beiges of L.A.'s industrial districts. meanwhile there’s Dafoe who gives his character the usual deranged fuckedness that only Dafoe can do but also gives him a very erotic quality whether he’s making fake bills in a desert warehouse (which felt like a sex scene to me) or sitting naked by a fire and tossing his work into the flames. the two characters are in strange contrast to each other as neither are inherently bad nor inherently good and Friedkin is smart enough to set that up from the start as in the opening we’re shown the reckless machismo qualities of Petersen’s character and the tormented human side of Dafoe’s as he burns a painting of his outside his classy L.A. pad. the decision to show them both as flawed and equally self-destructive makes them almost the same, so the pursuit becomes foggy and that’s the way i likey my pursuit. fuck all that good cop, bad criminal shit we’ve seen before because Friedkin delivers a cop tale that is hazy as the Los Angeles sky that devours its inhabitants.

F.W., what about your review of Adventureland ? I asked for it boy a couple of days ago, let’s not make the girl wait for it ;D

I’ve seen 2012 at a free screening last week. It’s very funny!

There’s Something About Mary - 5/5

Ben Stiller at his best.

This week:

Raoul Walsh double feature:

• The Roaring Twenties 10/10
  • White Heat 9/10

Other:

• Jimmy The Gent (Cagney n’ Bette!) 7/10

(I’m glad I saw it, it’s on youtube, you won’t find on VHS or DVD because it doesn’t have a release. Bette Davis doesn’t have much screen time, she did this film before she became a big star, but Michael Curtiz directed this film and he did a pretty good job with it considering it wasn’t a good script. But you can tell Cagney was going to be huge, what an on-screen presence he was, even in his earlier work.

Some pussy love with:

• Waterloo Bridge (Vivien Leigh, Robert Taylor)

• The Private Lives Of Elizabeth and Essex (Michael Curtiz)

• Gone With The Wind (Victor Fleming)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well there’s a new actress I am deeply infatuated with, her name is Vivien Leigh and I’ve only seen two of her pictures which I posted above. I really need to see A Streetcar Named Desire which they aired on TCM, I hope they put it on demand since I missed it. :-</E>

Oh, I also got “Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?” from amazon. I will be watching that tomorrow.

Who’s afraid of Virginia Woolf is so so great. Elizabeth Taylor is one of the best actress of all time, with Kate Winslet.

Vivien Leigh is awesome, but she’s never been as good as in Gone With the Wind (well, she hasn’t been in much movies anyway). Nevertheless check A Streetcar Named Desire cause she’s great in it and Marlon Brando even more. Plus it’s a Tennessee Williams adaptation, so is Virginia Woolf.

America hasn’t produced any prolific writers, but yeah I like TW, I think you already saw “Suddenly, Last Summer” with Liz Taylor and Montgomery Clift.

Bette Davis did Night Of The Iguana in Broadway, there’s a sad story behind that, she never got along with her co-stars and one of the guys even choked her! That fucking asshole choked a 50 year old Bette Davis on the set! Well after the production wrapped she went to the stage when everyone left and she started to scrub and clean the floor. Tennessee Williams walked up to her and asked what was wrong, she burst into tears and said: “No one likes me, what am I doing here?”. :-</E>

But then Bob Aldrich came into her life and she made Baby Jane and Sweet Charlotte, two great films. Her last memorable film was done the year I was born - in 1987, she did “Whales Of August” with the great Lillian Gish and Vincent Price.