#10 is not ok, make them faster, make as many as possible

We all still love Tarantino. Right? Basterds and Django were the best he made, right? I only wish he didn’t cast that french girl in Basterds, should have cast another one. (hopefully that wasn’t a dirty Weisntein maneuvre)

I believe that when a guy like Tarantino is so lucky (somewhat created the luck for himself by being the ultimate film nerd) to be able to make any movie he wants to and have so many people who are looking forward to each movie he makes coming out, all the world’s top actors begging to be chosen to act in his movies (I guess as in Woody Allen films, all willing to take a pay cut if need be), all crew also wishing they could be part of the credits on each Tarantino adventure, then I think you have the responsibility to make as many movies as possible.

I don’t think it’s ok the way he’s been “living life” (aren’t we millions of Tarantino fans worldwide more important than whatever he wanted to “spend time” to do in his private life?) in between movies to reason why he’d only make 1 movie every 3-4 years, that was not ok. Better than Stanley Kubrick who only made 1 movie per decade. But still not quite ok. Tarantino probably should have been at #16 by now, not just #8.

And then I think it’s not ok when he says he wants to quit after this random number of #10.

No, no, no. You can’t quit. You can’t stop.

Keep making them movies until people don’t want to give you money to make them (yeah right), until you’ve used up all your own money to make them (Tarantino probably has kept a fortune enough probably to make #100 if he had enough time to). Or until you become incapacitated. That simple.

Who cares if there’s a risk that you become a senile. Senile film makers can also be great. (I’m pissed off De Palma, Carpenter, Haneke, Godard, Polanski aren’t making more movies recently)

Cinema is the ultimate art form. You cannot quit movies to say you want to write novels or to become a film critic or “to spend time with your kids/to make kids” or some other bullshit. Kids, family, girlfriends, hobbies, drinking etc have to take second priority after the importance to keep churning out these awesome movies that will live forever.

Wow. Where do you get off making these demands on anyone? Sorry to be the bearer of reality, but QT doesn’t owe you a thing.

1 Like

Its not up to anyone but QT to decide when hes going to stop making movies. Its simple as that.

2 Likes

Let’s hope he makes more movies, he has the great skill to do so. I must add Reservoir Dogs to the Great List, for raw movie excellence.

1 Like

I would love to see a 100 QT films but truth be told, the music won’t play forever and eventually will be churning out crap movies if he goes past 15 or something. There comes a time when you can’t rip off anymore movies because you’ve ripped off everything or other filmmakers have

Heck, I’m a writer and even I’m running out of movies to homage (ironically ten ideas I have)

Theres only so many ways to tell a story. If youre working in a genre, thats even more limited. Its not about ripping movies off (lets be clear: QTs screenplays are 100% his), its about “do you have anything important enough to say thats worth you making a film about it”

QT has his own style of telling stories in film, the chapter concept. Noone was really doing that before him. Also he def has his own unique voice, when you go see a QT film, you know its a QT film regardless of what he references.

2 Likes

Sorry if I was too harsh. I don’t want to drive anyone away from these boards. I would love more Tarantino films too, but I respect his decision to quit when he wants and I just don’t think any artist should have to sacrifice their personal life and happiness to appease their audience.

1 Like

I’m just saying the potential to influence and inspire millions and millions of people (not just in the present but also in the future), including the hardcore QT fans, is worth way more than whatever QT would want for his own personal life. And I cannot imagine how QT would be able to get any more satisfaction in his private life than while making a movie. Loved ones should usually only feel happy for him if he can keep making more and more movies, it’s not like you can’t go home at night after a good day’s work. And your family can easily travel with you and be perfectly happy and comfortable that way.

Film makers who are so lucky to be able to direct and write their own movies are so very fortunate. Hundreds if not thousands of people ready to work to realize their vision, with millions of people ready to watch the result once you’re done with the editing. If you’re so lucky, which QT is, I believe you have a responsibility to churn out as many awesome movies as possible.

I just don’t agree that getting old should mean a film maker cannot produce any good movies anymore. For example Django Unchained that QT did as a 49 year old is arguably better or at least as good as Pulp Fiction that he did as a 31 year old.

Now who knows, maybe QT does go on to become badly senile, who knows, but I think it’s wrong that he decides out of some kind of prediction that he should stop at #10. If some of his movies turn to the worse after he’s 60, so be it. I’m thinking he probably wouldn’t be making any worse than some of the “less awesome” QT movies that he did in his 30ies and 40ies, how can he be so sure he won’t be able to make his ultimate masterpiece when he’s 65 years old or 70?

Anyways, it’s just my opinion that when you’re so lucky to be able to make movies, you have a responsibility to make as many as possible. Same thing goes for those who are so lucky to be an actor. Or a cinematographer. Film scorer. Etc etc.

Its about legacy for him I think. Not about having the ability to make movies. He said he wants his movies to be connected by a certain exciting youthful quality. He doesnt want to start making movies that are for old people

2 Likes

George Miller did an amazingly awesome Mad Max Fury Road movie as a 70 year old. I’m sure I can find you lots of other examples of old film makers who churn out lots and lots of awesome movies for their fans and for the future. For example Woody Allen is an awesome example he directed 54 movies thus far, most fully satisfactory for his fans and his recent films are still awesome. Midnight in Paris that Woody Allen did as a 76 year old is probably one of his best films ever. I don’t think it has to be a given that once QT is 60+ years old then he can’t be making youthful quality movies anymore. At least he shouldn’t be able to have any way to know that in advance.

I agree, I dont think your age means you cant make awesome youthful films. You gotta just be aware of it

But I think the quality of your films could suffer if you keep cranking em out too. 10 solidly entertaining films is better than 20 where several are kinda forgettable junk.

1 Like

I am always psyched for a Tarantino special! How many directors can keep you on your toes like him, never sitting back, “This is boring”.

This is remarkably selfish and ungrateful. Tarantino is a human being just like you or me. He should have the right to quit if he wants to after 10 movies. Everyone should be able to retire at some point. Sure, I’m sad too that he won’t be making movies forever. But give the man a break. He’s been working his ass off for DECADES! Don’t you think he’s kinda tired? Especially considering what a toxic, ugly social environment Hollywood is. We should be thankful that he impacted our lives in the first place with his fantastic talent, rather than seeing that he’ll retire one day and crying and saying “GIMME MORE!!!” He doesn’t owe us shit. He’s a fucking human being and he can retire if he wants to. We owe him that chance for all the terrific art he’s blessed us with! Besides, he’s said he’s still going to write novels and stage plays. It’s not like he’s not gonna give us any more art ever.

Nope. When you’re so lucky that you are Tarantino, and you have millions of fans around the world. You. Just. Cannot. Quit. I appreciate the work he’s done, but he’s obviously also been enjoying life and not working constantly all the time. I don’t care if you get married, if you get kids, if you get run over by a car or you get very sick (or you get blind, like Woody Allen), you just keep using that chance that you’ve got, where so much attention is pointed at you and so many people dream to work with you and millions of people will want to see what you do no matter what. You cannot give that up. The #10 is just something he put in his own head. There is no law that says all old film makers turn bad. There is no law that says old people turn stupid or boring. Or lose energy or lose inspiration, they really don’t have to. And if the quality does go down, who cares, I’d rather a film maker try hard and doesn’t get a home run every single time. The art of making masterpiece movies is not a quantifiable science. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. And if you are Tarantino just keep making them. Please.

Beethoven lost his hearing and then he made his best work.

And I think Tarantino’s film making talent lies in the way he is able to get all excited and geeked out about Cinema. Obviously this is not something that he is going to lose after the #10. So I think that especially for him, the inspiration is not going to wane off after #10. Unless somehow, Tarantino gets tired of cinema? I don’t think that’s ever going to be possible.

“If you are Tarantino.” Lol, don’t I wish so. But seriously, nobody’s saying old people get stupid or boring. At least not me. I’m saying if Tarantino is tired of making movies and wants to spend more time with his family, that’s his right and nobody should fucking complain, cause if you were in his position you’d probably want the same thing. I mean I agree it would be great if he didn’t limit himself to 10, but even if he does, we’d still have his old movies/any new books he’d write.

I guess my biggest problem is your statement “make them faster, make as many as possible.” That’s some real “gimme gimme gimme” shit right there. He’s not a machine churning out movies like an assembly line makes car parts. He’s a complex, creative human being that needs down time just like everybody else. You make him out like he’s a god who’s becoming lazy. He’s just a man becoming tired. If he wants to finish up, nobody should begrudge him that!

He’s not just like everybody else. He’s got the 800 top actors that want to work on whatever next movie he makes for free. All the best film crews are ready too. He’s got $100 million film budget whenever he’s ready with a new script. That puts a certain responsibility on you towards your fans most importantly. Normal people have very hard jobs that they do at least until they’re 65-70 years old just to pay for bread and to pay for shelter. Being a movie maker is hard, but it for sure isn’t as hard as about a million other much harder jobs that people have. And all those normal people manage to do their very hard jobs and to have families at the same time. No family wants to have you hanging around all day and night.