Robert Rodriguez to direct BARBARELLA remake!! OMFG

Everything about Robert Rodriguez and his movies (www.robert-rodriguez.info)
Eastern Beauty
Fucking Professional

Re: Robert Rodriguez to direct BARBARELLA remake!! OMFG

Post by Eastern Beauty » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:29 pm

I believe this movie is going to be great. RR movies have only gotten better. I loved every one, even the Spy Kids.

I don't really like Rose MGowan but I think she was great in PT. Robert saw in her something nobody else could see: talent.

This movie's gonna rock  8)
Anybody here remember me? Anyone?!

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:37 pm

Eastern Beauty wrote: I don't really like Rose MGowan but I think she was great in PT. Robert saw in her something nobody else could see: talent.
I think he's still the only one who sees it, lol. she's not that good of an actress, imo.
"So much of what you see now in Hollywood is written and directed by committee, and you can see it. Things are so workshopped and so run around the room, and so overthought." - Trey Parker

Dman 23
Kiddo

Post by Dman 23 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:48 pm

I think he should Put his on the backburner and do something else he can't do Sin cuty cuz frank is doing a film so he should a kids movie and Machete or something new  ;)

Knoxville Kingpin
Basterd

Post by Knoxville Kingpin » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:43 am

Eastern Beauty wrote: even the Spy Kids.

I love the first 2 Spy Kids movies! I didnt think I would but when I caught them on cable I couldnt believe I had avioded this series. I wish I would have avoided Shark Boy and Lava Girl though. WTF was RR smoking when he wrote that POS?
"Im sorry!" - Stuntman Mike

Image Image

Cpt tonyanthony
Fucking Professional

Post by Cpt tonyanthony » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:47 pm

i thought his kid wrote shark boy and lava girl, didn't he?

HostOfThreads
Hard Drinker

Post by HostOfThreads » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:49 am

Barbarella sounds stupid, especially if I have to watch Rose again.

Machete sounds stupid if its the same movie as the preview. If its a sequel or prequel then I'll be interested.

Sin City 2 sounds great.

Knoxville Kingpin
Basterd

Post by Knoxville Kingpin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:46 am

HostOfThreads wrote:

Machete sounds stupid if its the same movie as the preview.

Let me beat you about the face with a large black dildo!

Whatchootalkinbout'? Machete is the man!

Image Image

me
Fucking Professional

Post by me » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:19 am

Machete looks like the perfect movie for Danny T.  You can count on me to watch it ;D

LetsGoToWork
Basterd

Post by LetsGoToWork » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:14 pm

I loved Rose in Death Proof. I do think she's able to carry the movie.

Bleach
Fucking Professional

Post by Bleach » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:14 pm

Machete will be AWESOME, there's absolutely no question, it'll be both hilarious and ass-kicking
[img width=500 height=66]http://i41.tinypic.com/9sqlpu.jpg[/img]

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:26 pm

I hope that he films it like a proper movie and not with all the "scratches" and "missing reel" gimmicks. That shit was fun for a while. Now it's just tiring and irritating.

Eastern Beauty
Fucking Professional

Post by Eastern Beauty » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:14 pm

Universal Wants Rose McGowan in "Barbarella"

It seems that Universal wants to put an end to any rumors by confirming that the studio was happy with Rose McGowan as the lead in the "Barbarella" remake. Prior to this, statements have come forward that director Robert Rodriguez has been pushing for McGowan to star, for the simple reason that she has been his girlfriend for the past year. Since then, Rodriguez has been accused to have cloudy judgment and the studio would never back a film without Angelina Jolie, Jessica Alba or other popular actress in the lead.

Now, DeadlineHollywoodDaily got the chance to speak to a Universal exec who said the following: "He's getting a bum rap here. [It was] a rather spectacular screen test of Rose playing the role of Barbarella that also demonstrated Robert's vision and visual style for the movie. We all saw that it would work and signed on."

The studio read a treatment. Then a draft. Then another draft. "And all of us got our arms around the real movie Robert wanted to make. It had grown in its ambition. Robert's visualization of a sci-fi universe flushed out in set pieces and sequences started to become apparent. It was a much larger film than we had originally discussed."

And it came with a larger cost, moving from under $60 million to over $80 million. That gave Universal pause. With the WGA strike looming, and every studio in panic mode to get projects into production, the Universal execs decided the price tag was no longer in their comfort zone. Rodriguez shaved the budget down to $72 million, but that was still more than the studio wanted to spend.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.p ... 52&count=0

Knoxville Kingpin
Basterd

Post by Knoxville Kingpin » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:29 am

Rodriguez shaved the budget down to $72 million

By not hiring god awful Jessica Alba to act in this movie. She is nice to look at but her acting skills are just poor. She doesnt fit Barbarella either. Rose has the body and look  for this role. I wonder did Robert shoot a test like he did with Sin City.  His plate sure does seem full. This guy works too much or does alot of cake, perhaps both.

Image Image

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:10 pm

Was Jessica Alba ever even considered for the role of Barbarella, or any role in the film?
I wouldn't really say his plate is full because he's always been the type of filmmaker who's
always working.
"I'm a preacher with no pulpit. Spewing a sermon that goes on and on and on."

Lucio Fulci

Post by Lucio Fulci » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:26 am

I've checked imdb and other sites and nowhere does it say that Robert will be remaking Barbarella? Where's the source to this rumor?

Eastern Beauty
Fucking Professional

Post by Eastern Beauty » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:58 pm

Latest news:
LatinoReview reports that director Robert Rodriguez may put the "Barbarella" remake on hold, in order to helm the upcoming "Clash of the Titans" remake for Warner Bros. This is already the second name attached to "Titans," with Sam Raimi (Spider-Man) being the first.

While no contract has been signed yet, it makes sense that Rodriguez would be up for the job. He was previously attached to helm a live-action "Jetsons" film, based on the 1960s cartoon, which is a also under the same studio. While "The Jetsons" may never become a reality, it shows that Warners is interested in working with the director. In addition, "Barbarella" will likely not get greenlit for a while, so Rodriguez might be looking for something to do in the meanwhile.

The original 1981 "Clash of the Titans" revolves around Zeus' son, Perseus, and his journey to save Princess Andromeda during which he must complete various tasks set out by his father, including capturing Pegasus and slaying Medusa.

It was earlier reported that Lawrence Kasdan (Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Bodyguard) was tapped to pen the remake.
http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.p ... 66&count=0

Lucio Fulci

Post by Lucio Fulci » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:24 pm

okay worstpreviews and anticool.com are bullshit sources. They even have a diary of the dead 2 poster on there!  ;D

Check on imdb or movies.com there is nothing there, the rumor is fake.

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:50 pm

Biohazard wrote: okay worstpreviews and anticool.com are bullshit sources. They even have a diary of the dead 2 poster on there!  ;D

Check on imdb or movies.com there is nothing there, the rumor is fake.
LOL, you think IMDB is more credible than AintitCoolNews? Robert was attached to make
Barberella for Universal but they weren't willing to cough up the dough. Diary of the Dead 2
got the greenlight a while ago, the poster that's been released is just a temporary mock-up
for investors. I'm not sure why though. I haven't heard many good things about the first one
so far.

Lucio Fulci

Post by Lucio Fulci » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:24 am

There will noly be a follow up to Diary if that film does some business. Luckily for him the Land Of The Dead DVD sales have soared, especially abroad.

BTW Diary Of The Dead might be released on February 13th

Lucio Fulci

Post by Lucio Fulci » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:00 am

Why would he want to remake such an awful movie! I just saw this a few hours ago...what good can come from a remake?!

Snake Eyes
Basterd

Post by Snake Eyes » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:30 am

Biohazard wrote: Why would he want to remake such an awful movie! I just saw this a few hours ago...what good can come from a remake?!
It could be an improvement ala the thing..

would you rather he remade an already good movie?

Lucio Fulci

Post by Lucio Fulci » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:41 pm

Thousand Eyes wrote: It could be an improvement ala the thing..

would you rather he remade an already good movie?
I'd rather see him make something original. I'm sick of all these damn remakes. And don't compare Rodriguez to Carpenter! I like Rodriguez, he just isin't in his leauge yet.....

Snake Eyes
Basterd

Post by Snake Eyes » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:02 am

Biohazard wrote: I'd rather see him make something original. I'm sick of all these damn remakes. And don't compare Rodriguez to Carpenter! I like Rodriguez, he just isin't in his leauge yet.....
I wasnt really comparing them i was using the film as an example of a good remake.. but otherwise yeh i would rather see him make something original, but if he is remaking something i dont think this is exactly the worst choice..

LadySnow
Kiddo

Post by LadySnow » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:24 am

I also think RR should do something original. By focusing on a remake he's wasting his talent. Also, I'm sick of remakes. RM isn't a terrible actress, she just seems kind of bitchy and full of herself.

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:22 pm

I don't care if he does remakes for the rest of his life so long as he continues to
make good films.

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:41 pm

Here's an update in case anybody missed it.

http://joblo.com/rose-is-barbarella

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:30 pm

Source: MTV  by: Dave Davis

When it was announced that Robert Rodriguez would direct a remake of BARBARELLA, it was speculated (and essentially confirmed right here at JoBlo) that his GRINDHOUSE warrior-stripper and new squeeze Rose McGowan would portray the sex-seeking intergalactic adventuress of the title.

In the time since, rumors spread that the studio had issues with both the ballooning budget and McGowan as the lower-wattage star, but the actress has gone Snuffy the Fire Dog on that flaming baloney. As she tells MTV, she's still unequivocally slipping into the skintight suit: "Oftentimes these things have basis in truth but this didn’t. I have contracts to prove it."

She also says that things are moving along nicely: "Half of the sets have been built. The costumes are done." But a potential actors strike (not again!) in June has kept things from getting to the shooting stage. See what else she has to say on the project RIGHT HERE .
You know, I feel shitty about this because I can really only take so much of Rose McGowen before I want to barf.  Maybe she'll be better in this.  Hopefully.  PLEASE!
"That's it.  Like my old Granddaddy used to always say, the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." - QT- Four Rooms

Snake Eyes
Basterd

Post by Snake Eyes » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:07 am

Thousand Eyes wrote: I wasnt really comparing them i was using the film as an example of a good remake.. but otherwise yeh i would rather see him make something original, but if he is remaking something i dont think this is exactly the worst choice..
Actually now that i think about it i wouldn’t say that its a good example of a remake its really just another adaptation of the original source material.. i didnt think barbarella was that great.. i get the feeling you have to be in an altered state of mind to really enjoy it.. still an ok choice for the remake.. better to remake something that sucks rather then a classic...

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:19 pm

Thousand Eyes wrote: Actually now that i think about it i wouldn’t say that its a good example of a remake its really just another adaptation of the original source material.. i didnt think barbarella was that great.. i get the feeling you have to be in an altered state of mind to really enjoy it.. still an ok choice for the remake.. better to remake something that sucks rather then a classic...
I have to agree with you there.  It's somewhat offensive to remake a really good film.  If you remake something that sucks, odds are, you're going to make it better.  And if you don't make it better, you can blame the source material.

I didn't really like Barbarella either.
"That's it.  Like my old Granddaddy used to always say, the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." - QT- Four Rooms

mr blonde_22
Basterd

Post by mr blonde_22 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:52 pm

Eastern Beauty wrote: I believe this movie is going to be great. RR movies have only gotten better. I loved every one, even the Spy Kids.

I don't really like Rose MGowan but I think she was great in PT. Robert saw in her something nobody else could see: talent.

This movie's gonna rock  8)
I seen talent when her and marilyan manson showed up at that awards show with that dress :D