Tarantino's way of doing sountracks

General discussions about QT and his soundtracks (specific movie soundtrack boards see movie boards)
dobes77

Tarantino's way of doing sountracks

Post by dobes77 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:18 pm

I AM I RIGHT TO SAY THAT THERE IS NO OTHER DIRECTORS IN THE WORLD THAT USE MUSIC IN FILMS LIKE Q.T? IS HE THE ONLY ONE WHO USES MUSIC IN SUCH A CULT WAY? ???

herbduck

Re: Tarantino's way of doing sountracks

Post by herbduck » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:08 am

I dunno man. He's good, but the music in the Big Lebowski is just as good. That movie always jumps out at me as having the perfect soundtrack. I mean, not by itself, but during the movie.

Dead_Nigga_Storage

Post by Dead_Nigga_Storage » Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:04 am

I say QT has an extreme talent for song choice. I don't think I should even bother saying it because he has a talent in every other movie-making aspect. His song choices just flavor the movie and make all the cinematic aspects of the scenes better. Like I could not imagine the Marcellus-Butch dialogue any better without "Let's Stay Together" in the backround. Many good QT scenes involved the perfect unity of song and cinematics to form a great scene. Chills run down my spine after Honey Bunny says her knee-jerking line and Miserlou plays just at the right moment. More chills as the Twisted Nerve song creeps into the scene as Elle's whistling it. The Delfonics. The RZA. Qt's movie's just wouldn't be the same without his song choices. That's probably why I didn't like True Romance as much as I could've becuase Tony Scott only used one of QT's song choices. (spoiled my act as a clown)

Now since we're on the topic, I want to mention I can't wait to see how QT will use rap music in his WW2 movie epic, Inglorious Bastards.
Last edited by Dead_Nigga_Storage on Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

herbduck

Post by herbduck » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:02 am

Man, I know what you're saying. When Butch sees Marcellus walking across the St., Flowers on the Wall compliments it perfectly. But Comanche is even better. He does it perfectly when the door slams and when he stabs maynard and pulls the blade out.

Also, did anyone notice that when Marcellus stands up, there's a slight sound that sounds kinda like a cobra?

Bullet

Post by Bullet » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:38 am

Yes but I thought he was just pulling his pants back up. In pulp fiction the use of music is almost amazing like John Travolta walking thru Jack Rabbit Silms while that song plays, it seems too all go in a beat very well. Almost every time we hear a song in it, it goes very well with the scene.

IL_Buono

Post by IL_Buono » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:36 pm

i doubt he'll use rap for his war epic-more like great escape and guns of navarone shit

Quentin_Rodriguez

Post by Quentin_Rodriguez » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:21 pm

What songs do you think Tarantino might pick himself to put in one of his films? This can be any style of music and does not nessisarily have a certain 'sound' or 'style' but would not be for example something crappy like the spice girls. What sort of songs do you think that Tarantino might put in a film? Are there any more songs that he wanted to put into films but didn't get the rights to? Any songs that he decided against putting in? Any songs that you would like to see playing in one of his movies in a certain scene?

Come on people, lets try and get into the great mans head and guess at what might be in his collection!

Some of my selections:

Chris Rea - Road to Hell (pt 2)
Le Chick - Freak Out (although very well known so he wouldnt use it, but would fit well)
Joan Baez - In the quiet morning
Leonard Cohen - Suzanne
Question Mark and the Mysterians -96 Tears
The Seeds - Pushin' Too Hard

ClarenceWorley

Post by ClarenceWorley » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:53 am

Nobody can even speculate what he'll put in his next films...he knows the coolest damn surf songs though. I gotta listen to Bullwinkle Part II again.

Lovin

Post by Lovin » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:20 am

He's not asking you to speculate.. he's asking what songs you would like to hear in a tarantino film... in any case i know he used the malcolm mclaren version of she's not there but i enjoy Carlos Santana's version of the song ;D especially near the end of it sounds like a good tension builder

Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth
Fucking Professional

Post by Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:21 pm

Not to criticise QT, but I'm of the opinion that he could have used the 1974 song "Hey Joe" by Jimmie Hendrix for the opening scene of Kill Bill vol. 1. Instead of that song by Sinatra's daughter "He Shot Me Down". Just my opinion. (BTW I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the woman who did that song at the beginning of Kill Bill 1)

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:13 pm

Hattori_Honzo wrote: Not to criticise QT, but I'm of the opinion that he could have used the 1974 song "Hey Joe" by Jimmie Hendrix for the opening scene of Kill Bill vol. 1. Instead of that song by Sinatra's daughter "He Shot Me Down". Just my opinion. (BTW I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the woman who did that song at the beginning of Kill Bill 1)
I don't agree with you about the Jimmie Hendrix thing. I thought "Bang Bang" was one of the best musical choices Qt has ever made, and that's saying something!!

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

IL_Buono

Post by IL_Buono » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:12 pm

Hey Joe wouldn't have worked at all

what would have worked is if he showed the massacre at the chapel and made it flashy and fast paced, and used Billy Idol's "White Wedding".........that would have rocked

didn't Hendrix die before 74 anyway?

Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth
Fucking Professional

Post by Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:41 am

Sorry for all the mistakes I made in that post, it was just an opinion of mine. Your right Hendrix did die in '72 sorry 'bout that, I'll just shut my big yap next time I have the inclination to have an opinion. :-X (wink, wink)

IL_Buono

Post by IL_Buono » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:44 am

I wasn't attacking you or anything; you can have an opinion

Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth
Fucking Professional

Post by Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:28 pm

I know I was just joking.

guiltygenius
Kiddo

Post by guiltygenius » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:04 pm

What I like best about his choice in music is that it is mostly unexpected.  It isn't something that I would think of choosing, and damned if he doesn't make even the lamest music seem cool.

ClarenceWorley

Post by ClarenceWorley » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:20 am

There isn't any lame music in his movies.

The Shepherd
Real McCoy

Post by The Shepherd » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:25 am

Hattori_Honzo wrote: Sorry for all the mistakes I made in that post, it was just an opinion of mine. Your right Hendrix did die in '72 sorry 'bout that, I'll just shut my big yap next time I have the inclination to have an opinion. :-X (wink, wink)
actually, Hendrix died in September 1970  :-\
who's a stickler for stupid details?? oh yeah, ME.

:-[

and No, although i love Hey Joe, it would not have worked in KB1. nothing would come close to Bang Bang.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth
Fucking Professional

Post by Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:27 pm

Yeah I screwed up his date of death twice, damn I feel stupid. :-\

esbern

Post by esbern » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:51 pm

poop

Otis02

Post by Otis02 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:40 pm

Constipated poop, QT is a man after his own heart. Just can't theorize what brilliance grows from the mind of the man.

White Wedding and Hey Joe -- YIKES!!!! That's heinous!!! Nancy Sinatra rocked for the opening credits and maintained the atmosphere and mood of the film perfectly. The Massacre at Two Pines would have been ruined by an occupying addition of a soundtrack or score. Are you kidding? Please tell you are? Not to mention Billy Idol is a mainstream glam rock sellout. EWWWW! Like jumping in bed with Ruth Gordon.
Last edited by Otis02 on Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IL_Buono

Post by IL_Buono » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:15 am

Mainstream sellout or not, Billy Idol still rocks.

Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth
Fucking Professional

Post by Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:06 pm

Who said anything about Billy Idol? And alright I admit I was wrong about Hey Joe instead of Bang Bang. Hey Joe=bad,Bang Bang=good. ;D

The Shepherd
Real McCoy

Post by The Shepherd » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:35 pm

i like Billy Idol. yess  ;D

and i like Hey Joe too, but just not in place of Bang Bang

IL_Buono

Post by IL_Buono » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:29 am

"White Wedding" wouldn't have worked in the scene that we actually saw during the intro, but for the intended original wedding massacre it would have been the bomb

Charlie Brown

Post by Charlie Brown » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:55 pm

Anyone else fed up with that 'Woo Hoo' song by the 5,6,7,8's???

I though it was ace in Kill Bill, but then it got put on every advert (slight exaggeration) in the UK and hoards of people went around shouting 'Woo Hoo' which just frankly pissed me off!

As for the Nancy Sinatra/Jimmy Hendrix argument, I thought Nancy's song worked ace, more likely to send shivers down the spine than Hey Joe, which is a good song in it's own right!

Solidas

Post by Solidas » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:55 am

4  radio stations from the video game grand Theft auto  san andreas remind me
Tarantinoesqe music of his liking,the stations are  Bounce FM, K Rose,  Mastersounds Fm
and K dust....

Bounce fm= Classic funk and jive
K Rose= Country music and western songs
Mastersounds= old school R&B retro 70's music
K dust= Classic rock

The soundtrack is great I wonder if Qt ever played the game GTA san andreas... Im sure
he would get a kick out of the radio music station... BTW SAM" the man" Jackson
and Chris Penn voices 2  characters in the game.. Totally awesome!!

roulette67
Basterd

Post by roulette67 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:05 pm

I'ld love to hear him use - Human Fly by the Cramps. Great beat and odd enough to be put in a QT scene.

Laydback
Fucking Professional

Post by Laydback » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:08 pm

roulette67 wrote: I'ld love to hear him use - Human Fly by the Cramps. Great beat and odd enough to be put in a QT scene.
DAMN! I thought I was the only one who thought of that!

I always thought "Human Fly" would've been perfect to play right after "Zed's dead"

Charlie Brown

Post by Charlie Brown » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:31 pm

Solidas wrote: 4  radio stations from the video game grand Theft auto  san andreas remind me
Tarantinoesqe music of his liking,the stations are  Bounce FM, K Rose,  Mastersounds Fm
and K dust....

Bounce fm= Classic funk and jive
K Rose= Country music and western songs
Mastersounds= old school R&B retro 70's music
K dust= Classic rock

The soundtrack is great I wonder if Qt ever played the game GTA san andreas... Im sure
he would get a kick out of the radio music station... BTW SAM" the man" Jackson
and Chris Penn voices 2  characters in the game.. Totally awesome!!
Ha ha, yeah i've noticed this too! Normally if we were talking my music taste i'd stick to Radio X, however I find I normally listen to those stations for the 'Tarantino Factor'!

The inclusion of Samuel L and Penn doing voices was great! (Gotta love Shaun Ryder's voice more though!)