[Reviews] Volume 1 DVD Review collection topic

Kill Bill DVD and video section, also deals with version comparisons
Galapogos

Re: IGN DVD Kill Bill Review!

Post by Galapogos » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:45 pm

I think i read somewhere that Lynch didnt want chapters on the movie because he envisioned it as one whole story, not a story made up of chapters and such.
I kinda figured that's why he did it, but it was annoying as FUCK when I sat on the skip chapter button.  Even when you're skipping ahead at 32x normal speed, it takes forever.

Galapogos

Re: Kill Bill Vol1 DVD Review topic

Post by Galapogos » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:48 pm

We should get the rental copies in on Tuesday, so from one Kill Bill fan to another, I'll tell you how it is.

JDK

Post by JDK » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:55 am

How are you guys getting it a week early again?  ???

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:23 am

How are you guys getting it a week early again?  ???

I think many rental outlets get them sometime earlier than the actual release date. Even if you pre-order it from major online stores, there's a big chance you're gonna receive it before April 13th.

JDK

Post by JDK » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:36 am

Uh... this is not true at all.  Yes, rental copies are shipped earlier to the stores but usually the customers can only get them a day or so early (if it's a small time store)... never a week.  Now, if he works for them or owns the store, I can understand that.

There is a reason why all movies and CDs and what not are released on Tuesdays and that's to make things easier for, basically, everyone involved (movie company, retailers, customers).  Simply said, it's highly doubtful places like Amazon and online retailers will have it delievered to you a full week early.  In fact, if anything, it'll get to you a day or so late since they usually ship stuff out on the release date.
Last edited by JDK on Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:43 am

Uh... this is not true at all.  Yes, rental copies are shipped earlier to the stores but usually the customers can only get them a day or so early (if it's a small time store)... never a week.  Now, if he works for them or owns the store, I can understand that.

There is a reason why all movies and CDs and what not are released on Tuesdays and that's to make things easier for, basically, everyone involved (movie company, retailers, customers).  Simply said, it's highly doubtful places like Amazon and online retailers will have it delievered to you a full week early.  In fact, if anything, it'll get to you a day or so late since they usually ship stuff out on the release date.
I can speak from experience. When I ordered the LOTR: Two Towers dvd from Amazon, I received it some days earlier. And I rented Matrix Revolutions last Wednsday...its scheduled release date is April 6th. (btw, I rented it just to see how crappy it really is.)

Galapogos

Post by Galapogos » Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:48 am

Every Tuesday, rental chains get the rental and retail copies of movies up to two weeks before their release.  Unless there's a shipment problem, they always show up a week before their release.  The employees are allowed to rent them as we get them in.

stuck in the middle
Real McCoy

Re: IGN DVD Kill Bill Review!

Post by stuck in the middle » Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:13 am

I think i read somewhere that Lynch didnt want chapters on the movie because he envisioned it as one whole story, not a story made up of chapters and such.
yaeh thats right.  

yeah the dvd.ign review wasnt that great. they usually have good reviews too. the guy reviewing it took it too seriously
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! You bastard!

Galapogos

Post by Galapogos » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:33 pm

Here's a Kill Bill fan's thoughts on the DVD:

Movie:  Well, you know.  10/10 and all that.

Picture: Yeah, the color on the Vernita scene is wrong; there is a lack of the surreal-looking suburban quality that made it so eye-popping, but nothing truly awful.  I don't really see how anybody who hasn't seen it more than 10 times would even notice it.  Other than that, the transfer is spot-on, very faithful to the original.

Sound: I could only use the Dolby, but there were a couple places where certain sounds should have been given priority in the mix (like when Bride starts narrating Origin of O-Ren, the sound doesn't change drastically into an almost slide-show mono like it did in the theater and on my DVD rip, the trucker's scream doesn't come out especially strong from the right side speakers), but it really doesn't make a huge difference.  The thuds and crunches in the Vernita scene sound especially great.

Extras:  The extras aren't as bad as you think, and in my opinion, totally warrant shelling out the twenty dollars (of course, in addition to the movie).  

The 5678s stuff isn't just some lame live footage; their performances take place WITHIN the chronology of the House of Blue Leaves scene.  So for certain musical cues, you can see O-Ren and co. walking up the stairs, and when actual footage from the film can be used, they used that.  It's actually really cool.

The documentary, at least I'm pretty sure, isn't some lame, uninsightful MTV-produced shit because they weren't using fuck-awful music in the process.  It looks like the documentary was actually produced by Miramax, and the interviews with Quentin, Uma, Lucy, and Vivica shed a lot of light on the casting process and how this whole movie came into fruition.  It's filled with great production shots, Volume 2 footage, and even scenes from some of his bigger influences like Kage No Gundan and Lady Snowblood.

Also, it seems like a lot of work was put into the animated menus.  When you first pop in the DVD, you hear Twisted Nerve playing, with some Kanji scrolling down the screen, then the menu gets slit, and all this blood trickles down into a sweet animated menu that shows Origin of O-Ren, completely planned out to cues from Battle Without Honor or Humanity.  When you press play, you see O-Ren's sniper bullet going through the ambassador's brain and splat the movie on the screen.  When you click Set-Up, you see a syringe of "sweet dreams" or whatever its called, get injected into the menu, and a single drop of blood takes you down to the Set-Up area.  When you select special features, a flying hatchet leads you there.  Nothing really special, but it does make the DVD feel like a special edition and not some cheap-ass we-want-your-money-and-you-get-shit barebones DVD menu.

I think this DVD makes waiting out for the two-volume edition, whenever that comes out, a whole lot easier

Galapogos

Post by Galapogos » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:42 pm

Oh, there's another little complaint I have:

The subtitles that are used when Japanese is spoken are put on their own subtitle track, so instead of seeing the grainy yellow letters on screen, they are in pristine canary letters underneath.   The subtitles aren't as excited, too, if you know what I mean.  They don't use capital letters or exclamation points, and the Man from Okinawa sequence suffers just a little bit.  Nothing too huge, but it makes it feel a little less like an authentic grindhouse experience.
Last edited by Galapogos on Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:07 pm

I saw the screenshots from the DVD with the subtitles, it looks like a fuckin  text from someones home movie camera! They really dont put any love into these DVDs man. It really sucks.

I wanted to see the bold yellow text they used in the movie. on the screen, not in the black part!

The other stuff sounds good enough. I really cant wait to see the menus and the extra stuff. Only 6 days left.

Galapogos

Post by Galapogos » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:10 pm

What I don't understand is why there are 7 subtitle tracks: English for the English who don't speak Japanese, English for the Hearing-Impaired, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, and French.

I mean, this is a region 1 DVD.  Who else is going to watch it besides people who speak English, Spanish, or French?

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:23 am

Just wanted to say that my rental store already has the dvd for rent as from today. Unluckily, I wasn't fast enough to rent it in order to check out in detail the special features and stuff.  :( But I'm guessing that since I live outside the US and the dvd is already out here, it's probably even  easier to find it in the US before April 13th.

Galapogos

Post by Galapogos » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:32 am

Whoa, it was rented out?  How many copies do you think they had?

I don't really expect this movie to do extremely well in rentals (a simple plot description and a couple of stills couldn't do the film justice, and convince somebody to rent it), but I would be overjoyed if it did.

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:04 pm

Whoa, it was rented out?  How many copies do you think they had?

Probably not much. Maybe 1 or 2 I guess. But I disagree about Kill Bill not doing good in rental stores. I think it'd do very well. Most cult films substantially manage to attract new audiences thanks to rentals. Army Of Darkness bombed at the box-office, yet it eventually became a classic thanks to video rentals, just to mention one example. Not to mention the fact that many people who are interested in Vol. 2 would want to check out Vol. 1 again or for the first time.

Galapogos

Post by Galapogos » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:36 pm

I'm just saying the plot description is kinda lame and doesn't really expand upon all the storytelling elements

"After four years, the lone survivor of a brutal massacre awakens from her coma with one thing on her mind...REVENGE!"

You know.  It just doesn't make it sound all that interesting.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:44 pm

What I don't understand is why there are 7 subtitle tracks: English for the English who don't speak Japanese, English for the Hearing-Impaired, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, and French.

I mean, this is a region 1 DVD.  Who else is going to watch it besides people who speak English, Spanish, or French?
to handle the competition. if the US DVD has those asian subtitles, they can sell it to Asian tourists who are currently in the US, so those asians dont buy the pirated copies on the streets of tokyo

Puck

Post by Puck » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:00 pm

I didnt like the Digital Bits review at all. Once the guy said "Its not "cinema".  Fuck him.

Just another asshole trying to downplay how great the movie is.

And anyone who doesnt buy Vol 1 on DVD isnt a QT fan. Gimme a break with the "oh its too barebones" bullshit. Pleeeeease.
QT is a director.  He's not Jesus fuckin Christ.  I don't see why we have to sell our souls and give all our money to him just to be considered a goddamn fan.  Damn, lay off the LSD, toothpick.

IL_Buono

Post by IL_Buono » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:02 pm

I think Miramax is the one fuckin us in our asses, not QT.

Laydback
Fucking Professional

Post by Laydback » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:57 am

Custom-made covers are already coming out. 8)

Mr_Blonde_is_cool

Post by Mr_Blonde_is_cool » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:15 am

I think Miramax is the one fuckin us in our asses, not QT.
You always think that. ::)

HellHound

Post by HellHound » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:17 am

i aint buying it, i dont care what people think

i'm a fan but come on

it starts with this cheap vol. 1, then a cheap vol. 2, the you'll feel like assholes when they put em together for a special edition

i say fuck all that bullshit

i can wait

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:29 am

i aint buying it, i dont care what people think

i say fuck all that bullshit

i can wait
Oh boy, your a rebel cuz youre not buying it. Look out everyone, Hellhound has made up his mind!

Will you stop complaining about the fuckin DVD already? Holy shit I'm sick of fuckin reading this whining everytime I come in here. Dont buy the fuckin DVD, but shut the fuck up about it.

Anybody who cant dish out 15 or 20 bucks for a fuckin awesome film like Kill Bill Vol 1 AINT a fan.

And youre gonna be waitin fuckin years for the SE of the film. Theres no way QT will put out a SE soon. Hes gonna make us wait for a long time like he did with Jackie Brown. If we get a SE earlier than 2006, I'll come back here and apologize.

young_master
Hard Drinker

Post by young_master » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:34 am

Oh boy, your a rebel cuz youre not buying it. Look out everyone, Hellhound has made up his mind!

Will you stop complaining about the fuckin DVD already? Holy shit I'm sick of fuckin reading this whining everytime I come in here. Dont buy the fuckin DVD, but shut the fuck up about it.

Anybody who cant dish out 15 or 20 bucks for a fuckin awesome film like Kill Bill Vol 1 AINT a fan.

And youre gonna be waitin fuckin years for the SE of the film. Theres no way QT will put out a SE soon. Hes gonna make us wait for a long time like he did with Jackie Brown. If we get a SE earlier than 2006, I'll come back here and apologize.
Sounds like somebody hasn't gotten laid in a while. This is forum about the DVD, if you don't want to participate leave the fucken room!  If you critisize everyone who complains in this forum then every topic would be useless.
"How'm I gonna get a scar like that eating pussy?"

Joe_Banana

Post by Joe_Banana » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:37 am

I'm not buying, maybe just rent it for the couple little extras it has.  

I already got a near perfect VCD copy, with the second disc containg QT trailers and a couple behind the scenes features, so Im set.

Awardwinningactor

Post by Awardwinningactor » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:23 am

Call me old fashion, but I don't buy DVD's for the extras, I buy it for the movie.. if they have interesting features I consider it a bonus. how some of you people survived the Vhs era I'm not entirely sure..

Ringo

Post by Ringo » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:47 am

I'd buy it just for the 5,6,7,8s performances. J/k.

But really, I don't really care whats on it. It's got the film on DTS, and a "making of" good enough for me. The DVD won't be more than $16 at Best Buy anyway. After all the editions come out, I'll be happy to have them all.

Puck

Post by Puck » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:56 am

Call me old fashion, but I don't buy DVD's for the extras, I buy it for the movie.. if they have interesting features I consider it a bonus. how some of you people survived the Vhs era I'm not entirely sure..
Maybe most people don't want to bow to rampant, rabid consumerism.  Why pay for an inferior product when a better one will be coming out somewhere (even if it is several years) down the line?  Its just common fucking sense, and I know there are a hell of a lot of dvds that I would like to buy with that money, anyway.  If I honestly didn't know or believe that a better version would be coming along somewhere in the future, I would buy Volume I.  Hell!  I might even buy the bare bones Volume I dvd after Volume II comes out, but I'm not doleing out my money just for half of a movie at the present moment.    
Last edited by Puck on Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe_Banana

Post by Joe_Banana » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:09 am

Why would I pay 60 bucks for two movies, when eventually I'd be able to buy both UNRATED movies with tons of extras and commentary tracks, for about the same price?