[Reviews] Volume 1 DVD Review collection topic

[quote]One week? What the fuck. I have to wait 3,5 weeks till I get a copy.[/quote]

The DVD will be released at the 13th of April. We have the 2nd of April. So I have to wait one week and then cd-wow.net will put the DVD in my letterbox. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

[quote]

The DVD will be released at the 13th of April. We have the 2nd of April. So I have to wait one week and then cd-wow.net will put the DVD in my letterbox. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:[/quote]

Lucky Bastard

[quote]

Lucky Bastard[/quote]

Why? This is the normal american release date! Were are you from?

The Digital Bits review was decent, but some parts of it left me dry.

The comment “Kill Bill is good, and all together neat, but it’s not ‘cinema’.” left me scratching my head. If Kill Bill isn’t cinema I’m curious to know what exactly IS his definition of cinema? Kill Bill is a brilliant work of cinema becuase it’s direction is to emphasis the process and structure of the films it pays homage too. Great cinema should NEVER be defined by a set criteria. The criteria should be what the film is trying to accomplish.

Another comment the reviewer made that hit sour was "The film is almost ungradeable in terms of review, because it’s really just a silly exploitation film."

By saying it’s just a silly exploitation film to me that means the films that Kill Bill pays homage too are ALSO silly. To me that’s a diss on Baby Cart Samurai films, Yakuza films, Shaw Brothers films, Blaxploitation films, anime, etc. The reviewer obviously thinks exploitation films are beneath him or else he wouldn’t have made that comment.

Some people just don’t get the joy a very good kung fu film can offer! A film doesn’t always have to include deep meanings. Kill Bill for me is just a good movie which you see to have a great time. It’s so entertaining. There are also really cool witty quotes which is good to memorise. I’m looking forward to getting this DVD and watch it till I learn all dialogues by heart!

Whoever wrote that review is a retard with a degree.

He probably is if you consider that he calls “idiots” whoever loved this movie and supports that it was the best movie he’d ever seen! Well I loved it. I don’t really know if it my FAVOURITE movie of ALL TIME, but it certainly is the best movie I’ve seen in 2003 and among the first 5 in my “Fav movie” list. That means that I’m one of the biggest idiots in the world!

Oh and I would like to ask a question about DTS in the KB DVD. I’m a complete ignorant in all these audio/visual technology jargon and stuff, so I would like to ask you about DTS and Dolby digital.

In both the DVD reviews, the sound of the DVD is said to be of a high quality, because it is using technologies like DTS and Dolby Digital. Does that mean that I will have to get a 5.1 sound system and plug it to my TV, or will the TV speakers prove to be enough to make me fully enjoy the sound in the movie? Fortunately, I have a 5.1 sound system connected to my pc and whatever the answer is, I won’t have to buy any new equipment! ;D. I should also say that I hate watching DVDs on my computer so advising me just to watch it on pc and shut the hell up is not a brilliant idea!

Thanx in advance and sorry if I’m asking silly questions. It’s just that I prefer spending my time watching amazing movies like KB!

[quote]

Why? This is the normal american release date! Were are you from?[/quote]

The Netherlands, and its coming out on 28 april.

[quote]

Each to his own

Personally i wouldn’t really buy a barebones DVD even if i loved the film. Kill Bill is an exception of course

I really loved Mulholland Drive, but the DVD was so shit that i just hire it every now and then. I mean, the thing didn’t even have fucking chapters![/quote]

David Lynch doesn’t believe in chapters. that’s why.

[quote]

I think i read somewhere that Lynch didnt want chapters on the movie because he envisioned it as one whole story, not a story made up of chapters and such.[/quote]

I kinda figured that’s why he did it, but it was annoying as FUCK when I sat on the skip chapter button. Even when you’re skipping ahead at 32x normal speed, it takes forever.

We should get the rental copies in on Tuesday, so from one Kill Bill fan to another, I’ll tell you how it is.

How are you guys getting it a week early again? ???

[quote]How are you guys getting it a week early again?  ???[/quote]

I think many rental outlets get them sometime earlier than the actual release date. Even if you pre-order it from major online stores, there's a big chance you're gonna receive it before April 13th.

Uh
 this is not true at all.  Yes, rental copies are shipped earlier to the stores but usually the customers can only get them a day or so early (if it’s a small time store)
 never a week.  Now, if he works for them or owns the store, I can understand that.

There is a reason why all movies and CDs and what not are released on Tuesdays and that’s to make things easier for, basically, everyone involved (movie company, retailers, customers).  Simply said, it’s highly doubtful places like Amazon and online retailers will have it delievered to you a full week early. In fact, if anything, it’ll get to you a day or so late since they usually ship stuff out on the release date.

[quote]Uh
 this is not true at all.  Yes, rental copies are shipped earlier to the stores but usually the customers can only get them a day or so early (if it’s a small time store)
 never a week.  Now, if he works for them or owns the store, I can understand that.

There is a reason why all movies and CDs and what not are released on Tuesdays and that’s to make things easier for, basically, everyone involved (movie company, retailers, customers).  Simply said, it’s highly doubtful places like Amazon and online retailers will have it delievered to you a full week early.  In fact, if anything, it’ll get to you a day or so late since they usually ship stuff out on the release date.[/quote]

I can speak from experience. When I ordered the LOTR: Two Towers dvd from Amazon, I received it some days earlier. And I rented Matrix Revolutions last Wednsday
its scheduled release date is April 6th. (btw, I rented it just to see how crappy it really is.)

Every Tuesday, rental chains get the rental and retail copies of movies up to two weeks before their release. Unless there’s a shipment problem, they always show up a week before their release. The employees are allowed to rent them as we get them in.

[quote]

I think i read somewhere that Lynch didnt want chapters on the movie because he envisioned it as one whole story, not a story made up of chapters and such.[/quote]

yaeh thats right.

yeah the dvd.ign review wasnt that great. they usually have good reviews too. the guy reviewing it took it too seriously

More reviews:

Blu-ray Authority - Blu-ray Authority

http://www.thedigitalreview.com/for...hp?threadid=707

http://www.dvdtown.com/review/Kill_...ea898556b0b7367

<LINK_TEXT text=“Totaldvd - A chaque clef une mĂ©moire 
 ewid=10533”>http://www.totaldvd.net/cgi-bin/dvdreviews.php?reviewid=10533</LINK_TEXT>

Here’s a Kill Bill fan’s thoughts on the DVD:

Movie: Well, you know. 10/10 and all that.

Picture: Yeah, the color on the Vernita scene is wrong; there is a lack of the surreal-looking suburban quality that made it so eye-popping, but nothing truly awful. I don’t really see how anybody who hasn’t seen it more than 10 times would even notice it. Other than that, the transfer is spot-on, very faithful to the original.

Sound: I could only use the Dolby, but there were a couple places where certain sounds should have been given priority in the mix (like when Bride starts narrating Origin of O-Ren, the sound doesn’t change drastically into an almost slide-show mono like it did in the theater and on my DVD rip, the trucker’s scream doesn’t come out especially strong from the right side speakers), but it really doesn’t make a huge difference. The thuds and crunches in the Vernita scene sound especially great.

Extras: The extras aren’t as bad as you think, and in my opinion, totally warrant shelling out the twenty dollars (of course, in addition to the movie).

The 5678s stuff isn’t just some lame live footage; their performances take place WITHIN the chronology of the House of Blue Leaves scene. So for certain musical cues, you can see O-Ren and co. walking up the stairs, and when actual footage from the film can be used, they used that. It’s actually really cool.

The documentary, at least I’m pretty sure, isn’t some lame, uninsightful MTV-produced shit because they weren’t using fuck-awful music in the process. It looks like the documentary was actually produced by Miramax, and the interviews with Quentin, Uma, Lucy, and Vivica shed a lot of light on the casting process and how this whole movie came into fruition. It’s filled with great production shots, Volume 2 footage, and even scenes from some of his bigger influences like Kage No Gundan and Lady Snowblood.

Also, it seems like a lot of work was put into the animated menus. When you first pop in the DVD, you hear Twisted Nerve playing, with some Kanji scrolling down the screen, then the menu gets slit, and all this blood trickles down into a sweet animated menu that shows Origin of O-Ren, completely planned out to cues from Battle Without Honor or Humanity. When you press play, you see O-Ren’s sniper bullet going through the ambassador’s brain and splat the movie on the screen. When you click Set-Up, you see a syringe of “sweet dreams” or whatever its called, get injected into the menu, and a single drop of blood takes you down to the Set-Up area. When you select special features, a flying hatchet leads you there. Nothing really special, but it does make the DVD feel like a special edition and not some cheap-ass we-want-your-money-and-you-get-shit barebones DVD menu.

I think this DVD makes waiting out for the two-volume edition, whenever that comes out, a whole lot easier