[Reviews] Volume 1 DVD Review collection topic

Kill Bill DVD and video section, also deals with version comparisons
Mikefare
Cowardly Lion

[Reviews] Volume 1 DVD Review collection topic

Post by Mikefare » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:33 am

The Review is up on dvd.ign.com!
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/503/503610p1.html
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And of the world's corrupters Bill stands alone. For while he corrupts the world, inside himself he is pure."

HellHound

Re: IGN DVD Kill Bill Review!

Post by HellHound » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:39 am

yeah i didnt expect much from this dvd i aint buyin it

rent maybe

Galapogos

Post by Galapogos » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:47 am

Hahaha, yeah she beat O-Ren because of the Hanzo sword.

Galapogos

Post by Galapogos » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:51 am

Damn, Ethan, you are an fool.
WORD

JDK

Post by JDK » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:09 am

I can't wait to finally own it.

Mr.Transluscent

Post by Mr.Transluscent » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:23 am

I buy films based on the merits of the actual movie, not the DVD.

superflyTNT
Hard Drinker

Post by superflyTNT » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:32 am

Each to his own...

Personally i wouldn't really buy a barebones DVD even if i loved the film. Kill Bill is an exception of course...

I really loved Mulholland Drive, but the DVD was so shit that i just hire it every now and then. I mean, the thing didn't even have fucking chapters!
"you have a destiny: forget joy, forget sorrow, forget love and hate, forget everything except vengeance." -- Lady Snowblood

cross0ver

Post by cross0ver » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:33 am

exactly, special features are overrated, I bet a very few people watch the special features more than once except maybe the bloopers, deleted scenes and the music videos.

I know they're releasing a SE later on, I guess I'll just rent that one or sell the bare bones and buy the SE :-/

the_doom

Post by the_doom » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:42 am

After giving 110 minutes to this overhyped, overrated nonsense...
^^^ Right next to a Matrix Revolutions ad...

Usurper
Real McCoy

Post by Usurper » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:07 am

I really loved Mulholland Drive, but the DVD was so shit that i just hire it every now and then. I mean, the thing didn't even have fucking chapters!
I think i read somewhere that Lynch didnt want chapters on the movie because he envisioned it as one whole story, not a story made up of chapters and such.
"Then they threw an army at him, and he threw it back... a piece at a time!" - Lone Wolf & Cub

00soul

Post by 00soul » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:10 am

great review. might as well of been from www.ihatekillbill.com or something

Dead_Nigga_Storage

Post by Dead_Nigga_Storage » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:44 am

\

what the fuck is that supposed to mean? I thought that review was pretty accurate.

the_doom

Post by the_doom » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:21 am

7/10 for the movie is NOT hating. Those three points were taken off due to the fact that the reviewer felt it was an incomplete movie. This is a DVD review anyways, and since you have already seen the movie, you should be paying attention to the grades of the other aspects of the DVD.

EDIT:

Quote from the article:
"Kill Bill: Volume 1 is very worth seeing and I'm excited to see Volume 2. When I do I plan to write a review of the entire film as a whole, as I believe it was always intended. And who knows, I still have high hopes that, when we put both parts together, we will end up with one of the greatest action films of all time."

Sounds like a lot of love from www.ihatekillbill.com
Last edited by the_doom on Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dead_Nigga_Storage

Post by Dead_Nigga_Storage » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:35 am

Right. He's even calling it the best action flick of all time, that is, unless vol.2 will suck ass, which it won't.

00soul doesn't know what the heck he's talking about. I bet he didnt even read the review, he just skipped down to the scores.

Royale_With_Cheese

Post by Royale_With_Cheese » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:04 pm

It's a great review, many good points there. Very close to my personal opinion.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:24 pm

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Re: Kill Bill Vol1 DVD Review topic

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:46 pm

I didnt like the Digital Bits review at all. Once the guy said "Its not "cinema".  Fuck him.

Just another asshole trying to downplay how great the movie is.

And anyone who doesnt buy Vol 1 on DVD isnt a QT fan. Gimme a break with the "oh its too barebones" bullshit. Pleeeeease.

Man_from_Okinawa

Post by Man_from_Okinawa » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:23 pm

Yeah! I'm really looking forward to this great DVD of "Kill Bill: Vol. 1" DVD and preordered it since weeks. Oh man, only one week and then I have it in my hands :) !!

Mr_Blonde_is_cool

Post by Mr_Blonde_is_cool » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:46 pm

One week? What the fuck. I have to wait 3,5 weeks till I get a copy.

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:50 pm

I was just looking at the screenshots in the IGN review. Kill Bill is like cinema candy. I love looking at the damn thing. :) I cant fuckin wait to put this movie on and crank up the surround and just go back to Exploitation World.

Theres people who totally get it and they love it, then theres the group who just dont like B movies and hell, CINEMA in general. They just missed the boat completely. Sucks to be them. The way I see it, if you cant enjoy a film like Kill Bill Vol 1, you shouldnt be watching movies at all.

But, hey, thats life I guess.

Man_from_Okinawa

Post by Man_from_Okinawa » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:51 pm

One week? What the fuck. I have to wait 3,5 weeks till I get a copy.
The DVD will be released at the 13th of April. We have the 2nd of April. So I have to wait one week and then cd-wow.net will put the DVD in my letterbox. :) :)

Mr_Blonde_is_cool

Post by Mr_Blonde_is_cool » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:59 pm

The DVD will be released at the 13th of April. We have the 2nd of April. So I have to wait one week and then cd-wow.net will put the DVD in my letterbox. :) :)
Lucky Bastard

Man_from_Okinawa

Post by Man_from_Okinawa » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:13 pm

Lucky Bastard
Why? This is the normal american release date! Were are you from?

BlazeAlpha
Hard Drinker

Post by BlazeAlpha » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:47 pm

The Digital Bits review was decent, but some parts of it left me dry.

The comment "Kill Bill is good, and all together neat, but it's not 'cinema'." left me scratching my head. If Kill Bill isn't cinema I'm curious to know what exactly IS his definition of cinema? Kill Bill is a brilliant work of cinema becuase it's direction is to emphasis the process and structure of the films it pays homage too. Great cinema should NEVER be defined by a set criteria. The criteria should be what the film is trying to accomplish.

Another comment the reviewer made that hit sour was "The film is almost ungradeable in terms of review, because it's really just a silly exploitation film."

By saying it's just a silly exploitation film to me that means the films that Kill Bill pays homage too are ALSO silly. To me that's a diss on Baby Cart Samurai films, Yakuza films, Shaw Brothers films, Blaxploitation films, anime, etc. The reviewer obviously thinks exploitation films are beneath him or else he wouldn't have made that comment.
Last edited by BlazeAlpha on Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cottonmouth

Post by Cottonmouth » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:43 pm

Some people just don't get the joy a very good kung fu film can offer! A film doesn't always have to include deep meanings. Kill Bill for me is just a good movie which you see to have a great time. It's so entertaining. There are also really cool witty quotes which is good to memorise. I'm looking forward to getting this DVD and watch it till I learn all dialogues by heart!

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:05 pm

Whoever wrote that review is a retard with a degree.

Cottonmouth

Post by Cottonmouth » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:12 pm

He probably is if you consider that he calls "idiots" whoever loved this movie and supports that it was the best movie he'd ever seen! Well I loved it. I don't really know if it my FAVOURITE movie of ALL TIME, but it certainly is the best movie I've seen in 2003 and among the first 5 in my "Fav movie" list. That means that I'm one of the biggest idiots in the world!

Cottonmouth

Post by Cottonmouth » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:23 pm

Oh and I would like to ask a question about DTS in the KB DVD. I'm a complete ignorant in all these audio/visual technology jargon and stuff, so I would like to ask you about DTS and Dolby digital.

In both the DVD reviews, the sound of the DVD is said to be of a high quality, because it is using technologies like DTS and Dolby Digital. Does that mean that I will have to get a 5.1 sound system and plug it to my TV, or will the TV speakers prove to be enough to make me fully enjoy the sound in the movie? Fortunately, I have a 5.1 sound system connected to my pc and whatever the answer is, I won't have to buy any new equipment! ;D. I should also say that I hate watching DVDs on my computer so advising me just to watch it on pc and shut the hell up is not a brilliant idea!

Thanx in advance and sorry if I'm asking silly questions. It's just that I prefer spending my time watching amazing movies like KB!

Mr_Blonde_is_cool

Post by Mr_Blonde_is_cool » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:53 pm

Why? This is the normal american release date! Were are you from?
The Netherlands, and its coming out on 28 april.

shubbard04

Post by shubbard04 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:56 pm

Each to his own...

Personally i wouldn't really buy a barebones DVD even if i loved the film. Kill Bill is an exception of course...

David Lynch doesn't believe in chapters.  that's why.