The reviews out of Cannes for Basterds. Basterds looks like another turd

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/may … s-basterds”>Cannes review: Tarantino's Basterds is an armour-plated turkey | Cannes 2009 | The Guardian</LINK_TEXT>

What happenned to the man who wrote Pulp Fiction, Res Dogs& Jackie Brown? Is Tarantino going the way of Coppola? These past couple Tarantino"movies" have been turds. Looks like I’ll wait to rent the Blu-ray of this one. What happened? Is he out of stories?

Yeah, I know what you mean man! I will skip all his movies till he finally makes Pulp Fiction 2.

[quote=“Seth_Gecko”]
Yeah, I know what you mean man! I will skip all his movies till he finally makes Pulp Fiction 2.
[/quote] It’s sad that a man who can write great movies like Pulp,Dogs and, Brown can make these total crap films like these past few.

[quote=“Seth_Gecko”]
[/quote]

LOL ;D

I saw the link, and recognized the site name…and realized that this topic can not be taken seriously because those fucks over there at the guardian are obviously anit Tarantino and this topic should be taken down and sworn never to be reincarnated again

[quote=“jlennerth”]
<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/may … s-basterds”>Cannes review: Tarantino's Basterds is an armour-plated turkey | Cannes 2009 | The Guardian</LINK_TEXT>

What happenned to the man who wrote Pulp Fiction, Res Dogs& Jackie Brown? Is Tarantino going the way of Coppola? These past couple Tarantino"movies" have been turds. Looks like I’ll wait to rent the Blu-ray of this one. What happened? Is he out of stories?
[/quote]

Old news. All negative and positive reviews out of Cannes have been posted in the review thread.

But yeah, I ask myself that question a lot. His fans are (and will continue to) to drop off by the bowl-full if this nonsense continues…except for the yes-men.

Reservoir Dogs was the exception, Kill Bill is the norm - get used to it.

[quote=“Col. Crazy Kenneth”]
Reservoir Dogs was the exception, Kill Bill is the norm - get used to it.
[/quote]

Sounds like an alternative to saying, “A one (two) hit wonder - get used to it.”

Its more about being on the cool kids team for some people I think. If QT doesnt have a hit everytime hes not cool anymore, so people turn their backs on him. I dont watch movies or follow directors with that mindset. I hope his films do well, but Im not going to stop being a fan if he doesnt have #1 films every time. Its unrealistic and pretty childish to think that way. As a matter of fact, people who do think like that can go fuck themselves. How ya like them apples?

"If Martin Scorsese’s next film isnt a hit, I wont like him anymore"

Fuuuuuck you.

Topics like this just make this whole forum unappealing to me. I feel like I’m in a fuckin nursery with a bunch of whiny babies. Blah. ???

Who cares what the critics think and who cares if its number 1 at the box office? You should see a movie and draw your own conclusions about it… Develop your own opinions The critics are full of bull I was watching a documentary about Kubrick and they talked about how all the critics like Kael hated 2001 (I think it was 2001) when it first came out and then 10 years later they were talking about what a masterpiece it was,… same movie but people’s opinions change

It doesnt matter what the critics say about IB now or what business it does at the box office 10 15 years down the line they will be lauding it as yet another one of Tarantino’s masterpieces mark my words

[quote=“Pete”]
Its more about being on the cool kids team for some people I think. If QT doesnt have a hit everytime hes not cool anymore, so people turn their backs on him. I dont watch movies or follow directors with that mindset. I hope his films do well, but Im not going to stop being a fan if he doesnt have #1 films every time. Its unrealistic and pretty childish to think that way. As a matter of fact, people who do think like that can go fuck themselves. How ya like them apples?

"If Martin Scorsese’s next film isnt a hit, I wont like him anymore"

Fuuuuuck you.

Topics like this just make this whole forum unappealing to me. I feel like I’m in a fuckin nursery with a bunch of whiny babies. Blah. ???
[/quote]

Yeah in the case of PT Anderson, Punch-Drunk flopped here in the US and it suffered in the year’s Academy Awards. No screenplay or Best director nomination, not even a Golden Globe nomination! Good films that don’t make money do suffer when the award seasons come. I mean PTA did get the Cannes award for Best Director.

My point being, people will always turn their backs on great talent when they fail to engage the American audience, they’ll all get aboard the band wagon and call it - whatever they call it. We know better though, so much more to cinema that the money making side of it.

[quote=“jlennerth”]

[/quote]

I think you should judge the film for yourself when it is released. I mean to hang on to someone elses’ words like that is cheap. Why do you even bother to watch films when you don’t even discover them for yourself? Don’t watch movies if you won’t even bother to seek them out for yourself.

What’s with all the negativity! C’mon we’re one month away from Basterds. Happy thoughts only. Nazi head bashing. Hitler watching a movie. Nazi Doggy fucking. What’s to rant about? It’s Christmas all over again.

Been down this road before and it is a long one…

You’d expect a Tarantino forum to have a healthy debate about his films, and even some gripes. However, what surprised me most about this forum was that even the QT fans were dissappointed with the man. Saying he lost his step, and all kinds of stuff…

If I wouldn’t have everchecked out this forum I would have never known how much Kill Bill I&II sucked, and how horrible Death Prood REALLY was. Just seems more cool to be a critic than a fan of Tarantino nowadays.

I’m not a big fan of Death Proof, but I did enjoy the chase scenes. Also, the Grindhouse experience at midnight with a packed theater was also pretty cool too. Kill Bill (I&II) is not only a great action movie, but it is also one of my favorite revenge themed films ever. I eagerly await The Whole Bloody Affair.

Cannes has turned out to be a blessing and a curse for Tarantino. I guess one thing everyone has in common is that we all, for the most part are waiting for IB to be released. Some of us a bit skeptical based on reviews, our prejudices against Brad Pitt/Eli Roths acting ability, it’s stray from the “Dirty Dozen” type of theme, or whatever.

For the most part, Tarantino has been one of those directors that hasn’t let me down. Say what you want about what you think is his worst film, but if you break each plotline to it’s essence I think he did a great job of delivering on each of those premises.

So let the bashing continue.

:slight_smile:

The scene where Hitler is pounding the table w/his fist and saying," NINE,NINE,NINE just turns me off. That little snip of film is so cheesy it makes me cringe. If I didn’t reguard Pulp Fiction as the best movie ever made I wouldn’t waste my time on a Tarantino forum but, I do think it’s the best film ever made.

[quote=“Kinick”]
Sounds like an alternative to saying, “A one (two) hit wonder - get used to it.”
[/quote]

To you maybe.

Bottom line: Some people like it/get it. Some don’t. Its all good. I just dont like when people look down their noses at things I like. I’d rather them just accept it and move on to things they do like. All the bitching and moaning isnt going to help/change a damn thing. And theres a difference between intelligent debates and ignorant childish complaining.

Starting a topic like this one only gets people pissed off. Its part of trolling. Its not intelligent, its done in a rude, disrespectful way to get a reaction. Theres 1) trolls, and theres 2) people who act like theyre here to discuss things in a respectful way, but they really dont want to. Then theres 3) plain dumbasses who have no clue what theyre saying.

Try to not be any of those.

[quote=“Pete”]
Bottom line: Some people like it/get it. Some don’t. Its all good. I just dont like when people look down their noses at things I like. I’d rather them just accept it and move on to things they do like. All the bitching and moaning isnt going to help/change a damn thing. And theres a difference between intelligent debates and ignorant childish complaining.
[/quote]

yup. some of that stuff is better suited for the IMDb forums. also, there the people LOVE to be negative more than anything.

Thats the thing, the wanting to be negative. Theres a need to be negative. They sort of overlook the positive things and focus on the negative. Thats fucked up to me.

I have been on this forum since the Kill Bill days, and there’s always some troll who comes in here to stir shit up each time a QT movie comes out. Sad thing is, some of his fans even take the bait.

Good thing is that I am not one of them because I have a thing called personal opinion.