The Music / Soundtrack

Once Upon a Time... in Nazi-Occupied France. Quentin Tarantino's latest!
Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

The Music / Soundtrack

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 am

Okay so I'm not too proud of reading most of the script, I couldn't help myself. There was a line in the screenplay where it introduces Shosanna in the cinema. He describes that a Morricone-like soundtrack plays during that scene. So I'm just saying - you get an academy award winning composer for the film and you have a masterpiece! If anyone hears news spill out you fucking Basterds; kill those Nazi fools!
"All the billing in the world and the billboards can't do it. It's the people who pay their hard-earned cash across the ticket windows that make stars." - J.L. Mankiewicz

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Re: The music of the great Inglorious Basterds

Post by Sebastian » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:47 am

he doesn't like composers though. not that he won't do it, but it could be he uses existing material....

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:15 am

He should definately use the Delta Force theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vmlQB_jzMs

If he doesn't use it, chanches are IB can never kick as much ass as The Delta Force. I mean that movie had Lee Marvin, Chuck Norris, Bo Svenson and Robert Forster for Christ's sake!
"So much of what you see now in Hollywood is written and directed by committee, and you can see it. Things are so workshopped and so run around the room, and so overthought." - Trey Parker

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:52 am

DELTA FORCE?!! Cmon Kenneth, you know hes not gonna use that! This isnt an 80s hijack movie!

Hes said many times that hes def going to use existing spaghetti western scores for this. Just like he did in Kill Bill.

I have no clue what other kinds of music he plans to use. Im not reading the script.

Mr Q
Kiddo

Post by Mr Q » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:53 am

The Main Title appearing the end of chapter one, so I guess that whole chapter will going to trough just a natural sounds.

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:01 am

PutneySwope wrote: DELTA FORCE?!! Cmon Kenneth, you know hes not gonna use that! This isnt an 80s hijack movie!
Have you seen the whole movie? 1st half it's a hijack drama, 2nd half is Chuck Norris, Lee Marvin and Steve James kicking terrorist ass to this pumping awesome score.

If it fits and he uses it, I'm gonna exlode in my pants.
"So much of what you see now in Hollywood is written and directed by committee, and you can see it. Things are so workshopped and so run around the room, and so overthought." - Trey Parker

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:04 am

I dont think I want to hear that music or any other music chosen by QT forum members. Lets let QT pick the music. He usually does a good job with that.

Mr. Jettah
Real McCoy

Post by Mr. Jettah » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:05 am

i LOVE spaghetti western music especially ennio morricones sruff i have many of his cds... eh, ye it will fit really well.

Yasmin

Post by Yasmin » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:40 pm

Sebastian wrote: he doesn't like composers though. not that he won't do it, but it could be he uses existing material....
He doesn't like composers? He used Ennio's music in Kill Bill.

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:44 pm

Yasmin wrote: He doesn't like composers? He used Ennio's music in Kill Bill.
He meant that he doesn't like composers to compose new material for his movies. He prefers to use compositions already existant from other, older movies.

Mr. Jettah
Real McCoy

Post by Mr. Jettah » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:49 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtR5Cxscnu4
i hope that will explain it all lol

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:52 pm

Its actually a good idea. Giving your film to one composer to lay music over is like giving your film away to another artist to do what they want to it. I think QTs movies are written with music already in mind too, so the music is even more specific to the actual rhythm of the film.

Take the Hold Tight sequence in DP. That sequence was written for that song to be played over it. He wasnt gonna have some composer come in and play some drums and keyboards over it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Jettah
Real McCoy

Post by Mr. Jettah » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:09 pm

yepp, i think thats the best way to do it anyway coz a movie cant live without music in my opinion. and dats dat, back to topic lol ^^

Stiglitz
Real McCoy

Post by Stiglitz » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:18 pm

lol at that youtube video. Q's arrogance is through the roof but he does have a point and i completely understand him. What can you do when you don't trust people with your art.

There's gonna be some spaghetti western tracks on there ala Kill Bill but i hope he uses some vintage WWII songs, full with dust particles on the record player. Something like Edith Piaf or wha'eva...would be pretty sweet. And of course i'm all for him working with RZA again.

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:48 pm

Either way this is so fucking exciting. I can hear a GTBATG theme playing in the opening shot, like when we first see Angel Eyes approaching in a wide angle shot on horseback.
"All the billing in the world and the billboards can't do it. It's the people who pay their hard-earned cash across the ticket windows that make stars." - J.L. Mankiewicz

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:47 pm

I love that interview with QT,,, but WTF is he wearing?

He's also said that he tries to only use songs in his films when the characters are listening to music. 
"That's it.  Like my old Granddaddy used to always say, the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." - QT- Four Rooms

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:19 pm

I wouldn't be adverse to a bit of Morricone and Rodriguez. I trust QT on this one, he knows what he's doing.

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:48 pm

Rodriguez I can do without. Morricone is always welcome.

Mr. Jettah
Real McCoy

Post by Mr. Jettah » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:05 pm

a kimono hahahha
i hope he will use those old spaghetti western soundeffeckts for guns u know the
bitsheeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiuuuuuuuuu!

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:31 pm

PutneySwope wrote: Rodriguez I can do without.
Hater.  ;)
"That's it.  Like my old Granddaddy used to always say, the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." - QT- Four Rooms

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:34 am

PutneySwope wrote: Rodriguez I can do without.
Not only you dislike his movies, you also dislike the work he did vor KB Vol.2?

FoxForceFive
Real McCoy

Post by FoxForceFive » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:13 pm

Crazy Kenneth wrote: Not only you dislike his movies, you also dislike the work he did vor KB Vol.2?
I think maybe he meant he could do without RR working on the IB soundtrack, right? I don't know how anyone could dislike his contribution to the KB soundtrack - it kicks ass!

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:16 pm

Crazy Kenneth wrote: Not only you dislike his movies, you also dislike the work he did vor KB Vol.2?
No I liked it. I thought he did a great job. And i never said I disliked his movies. I like a few of em.

I just dont think every movie QT makes he has to get his best pal to do something for it ya know? Those guys need to just do their own thing.

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:35 pm

If RR can come up with some cool music, I'll be happy. If the Q man only uses source music - fine.

The whole KB Vol.2 thing "hey Quentin, I'll make some music, if you like it you can use it, if not then OK nevermind" was a perfect proposition I think.

Well we'll see what the future brings...

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:45 pm

Hey, if QT wants it in there and it works Im not gonna complain either. But I feel like if its a thing where every time QT makes a movie RR feels he has to compose for it, thats kinda lame.

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:20 pm

If Robert does a soundtrack for IB, I doubt he's gonna be in charge of the entire musical score of the entire film, maybe one or two tracks should suffice. But, "Chingon" is great I like their Vol.II soundtracks.

Sunday

Post by Sunday » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:02 pm

I just hope that the use of music is gonna be closer to Volume 2 -not surprising but good use of classic score- than to Volume 1. I ain't sure the audacious "music meets image" choices of Volume 1 could work in a war movie. 

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:21 pm

yeah but this is not your typical war movie. we don't know what "works" ;-) if it's an "in your face" war movie, then I'm not sure where the boundaries are exactly

Sunday

Post by Sunday » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:01 am

Just said this caus' I remembered an old QT interview in which he said he might use a hip hop tune for IB. This was the kinda thing I was thinking about. But it might depend on which hip hop tune he's gonna use if he does. To be honest, I wouldn't have been enthusiastic if I heard two monthes before KB one sword fight might include disco. But it did work...

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:50 am

well KB had hip hop tunes (RZA) and that worked fine, but I guess we can only speculate at this point. honestly, I think we have NO CLUE whatsoever what sort of film this is gonna be. after all, the script was a big surprise to almost everyeone who read it