Inglourious Basterds loses big to Avatar. That's right.

Once Upon a Time... in Nazi-Occupied France. Quentin Tarantino's latest!
cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Re: Inglourious Basterds loses big to Avatar. That's right.

Post by cyber-lili » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:15 pm

AHah, yeah first of all, sorry cause I never meant to criticize or be mean. I hate mean people. But I wanted to have some reaction and I got it, ahaha. But sorrry again.

So here's my point : I didn't mean you tried to be arrogeant, elitist or whatever cause obviously you're not like the Harmony Korine lovers ;D (ok, I get that in a close future I'll have to apologize again to Harmony Korine fanbase too). I precisely quoted your post and Mr Pink posts to point out what I meant : you said in other words, "I feel different cause none of the people of my age know The Doors" and Mr Pink said, in other words, "I feel different cause none of the people of my age are into the same music or movies I like" ence, none of them might like Tarantino, or The Doors, or whatever. And I was just saying : hey guys, there are LOADS of young people of your age loving BOTH Tarantino and The Doors. That's not being different. So you either live in a village where noone know The Doors nor Tarantino, nor have the internet ; or your friends aren't very into culture.

In a way, it was an invitation to feel like anybody (not saying loving The Doors and Tarantino is mainstream but that's def not being being picky and trying to be different and arrogeant) or to change friends and have new ones with more culture or more into music/movies you like cause it's easy to find.

Now I get your point about that so-called country America but is that true and not a stereotype that people don't know old stuff ? I mean, in France people don't know all the old stuff neither and they certainly have not all culture BUT it feels like it's a stereotype to say americans are dumb and not interested in culture that much. Or maybe it's true but then really sad.

But you still should be proud of your country cause it's the place to buy Criterions !!!! And no, it was a joke about the Criterions, you're not trying to be special or different or arrogeant when you buy them, you just make me jealous ;D

So yeah, feel free to tell me anything else and tell me that you understood I didn't want to mean, just wanted to shake things a bit.

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:57 am

I am glad we understand each other and have respect for not fighting. 8)

I work (well used to, got fired today) at a video store and believe me, everyone that came in saw my Doors tattoo and never heard of them unless they were 60 years old. Some cool old guys talked to me about it but that was it. Also everyone that comes in the store only rents CGI shit. We have films like Hunger and Che on the shelf and the only person that rented them was me (I know because we can check how many times a movie rents). So yes, people are very dumb when it comes to film and music that is older than the last 3-4 years. It is very scary.

But yeah I like both "artsy" and mainstream. Godard and Rob Zombie are some of my fav directors. You can't get them 2 in the same sentence from no one. ;D

I may have to slow down on my Criterion buying until I find a new job. This is probably the door for me to finally go to a college. So by no means was I mad at you. This forum is actually the best place where everyone actually likes each other and really no "bad guy" that every other forum has. Like a little Tarantino family. :D

Mr.Pink

Post by Mr.Pink » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:03 am

Just being curious but how the fuck did you manage to get fired?

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:08 am

Mr.Pink wrote:Just being curious but how the fuck did you manage to get fired?
Stealing boxes. ;D Just playing, it closed down. Rental stores are no more in the U.S.

Mr.Pink

Post by Mr.Pink » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:11 am

Well thats gay for you.

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:15 am

Not really. I think I'll be just fine. ;)

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:24 am

*G* wrote:But yeah I like both "artsy" and mainstream. Godard and Rob Zombie are some of my fav directors. You can't get them 2 in the same sentence from no one. ;D
I prefer people who admit to love both mainstream and arty/indie stuff. Most of the arty/indie lovers tend to diss on mainstream stuff and I think it's stupid and hypocritical. We all enjoy some mainstream stuff cause movies are not just about brainy stuff but also about emotions and spectacle. Yeah, ok, I wasn't that touched by Avatar, I thought the script was weak and the CGI good on 2 hours, 30mins were not impressive at all BUT I loved Titanic and yeah, I say it again, I loved Titanic and let's not diss on Cameron cause he did some good other movies : did you someone NOT enjoy Aliens ?

Though ... drip Rob Zombie, ahaha. Just kidding. I love Godard, but everyone here knows I love only the Nouvelle Vague stuff, I can't get into his later stuff. Too intellectual and no emotions. And I guess I'm a brainy person but that doesn't movie me.

About the place you live, the video store and all, be sure that most of the real film geeks don't go to video stores much anymore, so I guess more of the regular non-real-film-lovers are the main guys coming at the video store where you lived. But you should go to a college, first of all, cause you might spend your best years there (I don't know anything about collegue life in America, it's always supposed to be so cool, very different from France) and find studies you really enjoy. And most of all, you'll find people who are into culture there, probably loving movies and music as much as you do. That's the place to hang around !

What would you like to study in collegue ? Films ?

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:28 am

I would loveeeeee to do something on film. But it's hard for me to find a college for film around me. Hopefully I find one and quickly. :D

I like Aliens alot, but perfer Ridley Scott's Alien 100% more. James Cameron to me is hit or miss, but you know for sure what you getting yourself into with his films. He isn't going to pull a Godard on you or anything.

Rob Zombie reminds me more of an original exploitation/genre director than QT. Sorry QT! ;D Also no one can say shit about him having his wife in his films. Anna Karina anyone? Gena Rowlands anyone? ;D Devil's Rejects has to be on my top 10,15,20 or whatever list for the decade.

Mr.Pink

Post by Mr.Pink » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:51 am

G, are you actually reading the posts or just waiting for me to reply? You keep mysteriously logging on and off.

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:58 am

Mr.Pink wrote:G, are you actually reading the posts or just waiting for me to reply? You keep mysteriously logging on and off.
I'm bored. I look through different websites while I stay on this page for any activity to take place. Right now I am getting off of here to eat dinner. Talk to you all later tonight, or whatever time it is where you are. ;D A couple of hours.

Mr.Pink

Post by Mr.Pink » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:01 am

Oh yea same. We'll talk later.

cherrydarling
Real McCoy

Post by cherrydarling » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:06 am

Haha what an interesting read this topic has been so far. But to re-cap, it sucks that Avatar beat out Basterds. I honestly think I would rather watch the Hannah Montana Movie than Avatar, yawn. The Doors are awesome and G and Mr. Pink are awesome for being fellow fans. And yes, I agree that the Beatles can be a touch overrated. BUT what I am outraged over is that rental stores are no longer in the U.S. That sucks! How are people supposed to discover 'real' films now? If it weren't for taking chances at Blockbuster I would never have seen majority of my favourite movies. And I think the for people like myself and Mr. Pink (who said most people his age aren't into the same things as he is) without word of mouth, there's not a lot to guide you towards something other people might consider "underground" or "indie". I used to work in a DVD and CD store and I used to love so much recommending movies and music to people, and I love when knowledgable people recommend stuff to me. But I guess unless you're someone who is willing to take a chance and blow money on something that could potentially suck, closing down rental stores is putting a major roadblock on the path to discovery. And that makes me a little bit sad. I hope this rant makes any sense. I am a wee bit liquored up. :D

roulette67
Basterd

Post by roulette67 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:37 pm

Avatar is nothing more than a Day Glo cartoon. Nothing against cartoons.

regiman2020
Cowardly Lion

Post by regiman2020 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:29 pm

Avatar was an enjoyable movie, but it is a shame that it is winning Best Picture.

It deserves Best Visuals and crap like that, and maybe Best Director, but it just isn't good enough to deserve Best Picture.

Inglourious Basterds easily deserves Best Supporting Actor and the best writing award. And for Best Picture, I honestly hope District 9 wins, as it isn't getting nearly enough credit as it deserves, with Inglourious and Up in the Air as my close second.

Mr.Pink

Post by Mr.Pink » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:01 pm

regiman2020 wrote:Avatar was an enjoyable movie, but it is a shame that it is winning Best Picture.

It deserves Best Visuals and crap like that, and maybe Best Director, but it just isn't good enough to deserve Best Picture.

Inglourious Basterds easily deserves Best Supporting Actor and the best writing award. And for Best Picture, I honestly hope District 9 wins, as it isn't getting nearly enough credit as it deserves, with Inglourious and Up in the Air as my close second.
You're an idiot.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:30 am

regiman2020 wrote:Avatar was an enjoyable movie, but it is a shame that it is winning Best Picture.

Baffling to me the kind of support District 9 is getting from people. That thing was a descent b-movie at best. Like the Fugitive with shrimps but not nearly as good.

Movie_Villain
Real McCoy

Post by Movie_Villain » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:36 pm

well I agree with Ordell and most people on here that Avatar is a good movie..fun and everything..but the story is way too predictable and has been done numerous times before and the writing is really lame (unobtanium? really cameron? and i swear if I heard the word treehugger one more fucking time)...we all know Waltz will win the oscar but I really hope Basterds scores at least the best original screenplay award

Albert77
Cowardly Lion

Post by Albert77 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:36 am

Avatar is really a great movie. The story is unique. It is a product of a brilliant mind of James Cameron. The setting is perfect for that story to happen. The scenes and the action are there. The Love story which sprinkles and adds the spices of the movie. I haven't seen a a movie as perfect as this. :)

jonitapani
Real McCoy

Post by jonitapani » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:09 pm

Albert77 wrote:Avatar is really a great movie. The story is unique. It is a product of a brilliant mind of James Cameron. The setting is perfect for that story to happen. The scenes and the action are there. The Love story which sprinkles and adds the spices of the movie. I haven't seen a a movie as perfect as this. :)
Quite TROLLish, are we? ;D ;D
ÄLÄKÄ KOLISE!

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:54 pm

jonitapani wrote:
Albert77 wrote:Avatar is really a great movie. The story is unique. It is a product of a brilliant mind of James Cameron. The setting is perfect for that story to happen. The scenes and the action are there. The Love story which sprinkles and adds the spices of the movie. I haven't seen a a movie as perfect as this. :)
Ha. The more time passes the less I like that movie. Maybe it'll work better as a book.

jonitapani
Real McCoy

Post by jonitapani » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:15 am

Ordell Rodriguez wrote:
jonitapani wrote:
Ha. The more time passes the less I like that movie. Maybe it'll work better as a book.
Yep, when I watched Avatar second time, I got bit if a bored.
ÄLÄKÄ KOLISE!

Alicia88
Cowardly Lion

Post by Alicia88 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:46 pm

The Avatar was just a crazy phenomenon. I guess people were just dazzled by the effects and all the blue-ness and had an amazing time being transported to a whole new realm. But the judges decision is just personal preference - not everything.

ryanasr
Cowardly Lion

Post by ryanasr » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:14 am

I fell asleep in Avatar (at the cinema), too long. Inglourious Bastards was epic, some awesome scenes, especially the German guy.

Jackt11
Cowardly Lion

Post by Jackt11 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:58 pm

lol, the blue fucking monkeys. haha

I couldn't even finish watching Inglourious Basterds it was so bad. Take into account the horrible acting of Pitt and the skipping around cut scenes and there i no wonder that Avatar smashed this crap film. Avatar was also released at just the right time when everyone was on a "green" kick and the theme of the movie is "go green".

wallarobi
Cowardly Lion

Post by wallarobi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:20 am

I only just watched the Basterds (LoL), and it's quite good. Avatar was meh..