Things that could ruin Inglourious Basterds

. . . pitt’s good for tarantino and tarantino’s not bad for pitt either. woody harrelson’s a good casting choice. i had bruce willis in my head for raine when i first read the script . . .

I can see Bruce Willis, Woody Harrelson or even Josh Brolin in the role of Aldo Raine but I can see Brad Pitt too. His acting techniques and tactics are transparent, true, but when he’s playing over-the-top characters for the pure fun of it (like the ones in “Snatch” and “Ocean’s 11” for example) it’s very fun to watch and how good of an actor he really is becomes almost a moot point. When he plays dramatic roles it becomes a problem (“Button” or “Meet Joe Black”)

but this is just entertainment.

My biggest fear regarding the film is that it becomes over-hyped and I walk in expecting to be blown away and entertained to no end and walking away thinking it could of been better considering the long-ass wait.

I’m repeating myself here, but I don’t know if you have already seen Babel, but as far as I’m concerned his interpretation in this movie proves he can be really good in dramatic roles… when the director is good.

Anyone who’s doubting brad pitt need only watch Kalifornia. Its probably one of the reasons he’s in this, he’s so good in it, and it’s got some similarities to IB in terms of the accent, and the complexities of the characters.

Yeah. I mean what were the Oscars, the BAFTAs, the Golden Globes, and the Venice Film festival jury thinking when they nominated and in some cases awarded the role of best actor to Brad Pitt? Of course, Cyd knows better than all of these groups combined.

[quote=“Scarface”]
Yeah. I mean what were the Oscars, the BAFTAs, the Golden Globes, and the Venice Film festival jury thinking when they nominated and in some cases awarded the role of best actor to Brad Pitt? Of course, Cyd knows better than all of these groups combined.
[/quote]

Haha ;D

[quote=“Scarface”]
[/quote]

Yeah, I still thought Brad Pitt outdid himself in TCCOBB, he gave the best performance of his career, however somewhere in the middle of the film he sort of broke out of his character and gave an “Ocean’s” type of performance with his fancy suit and dynamite haircut. But other than that, he was solid.

[quote=“Scarface”]
Of course, Cyd knows better than all of these groups combined.
[/quote]

Normally, I’d bite, but I can’t be really be bothered pandering to your schoolgirl digs these days. So fill yer boots, sweetheart, mock, crack wise, take the piss at my expense for all it’s worth. No skin off my big nose :slight_smile:

Woody would suck as Aldo:

1. He was in NBK. Which draws the attention to his role of Mickey. Which isn’t a good thing.

2. Brad Pitt is fab. He needed to work with QT and Aldo seems like a role Pitt can really make into a character that will surpass anything that Woody ever did.

3. What’s a Woody anyway?

4. There is no 5

5. Where is Il_Buono?

6. Woody is a real fine actor but not for Aldo. Woody has this comedy that surrounds him which Pitt isn’t restricted to.

7. Did I mention that Pitt is fab? -> Snatch, fight club, se7en, true romance, kalifornia, Ocean’s, Babel, Burn After Reading. -> ALL parts that Pitt managed to make larger than life. As Aldo will be.

8. Cyd 12:13:50 AM Viewing Scarface’s profile. Sweet LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.

I knew it. :-*

well, quentin has been saying this is his greatest movie…so if it doesnt make much impact, it will look extremely overhyped by him…the question is: will the public and the critics really feel this is his masterpiece like he constantly says? ive read the script and loved it, but i still like reservoir dogs and pulp more

of course that could change after i actually see the movie, but im not so sure; the wait has been a torture…but its actually hard to believe that he finnaly made this movie; it looked like he never would

It might be his masterpiece, but Pulp Fiction will always be his masterpiece in my eyes. Also, Quentin hasn’t made much noise about it. The media have, but he hasn’t :slight_smile:

i think he became more silent after the production started…but before that he was saing many times that this movie would be a masterpiece; he actually said “expect a masterpiece” hehe ive never seen a moviemaker talk about his own work that way; i admire his boldness, but also think that was kind of imprudent (like there wasnt enough tarantino haters out there, he had to give then a reason to hate him even more hehe)

by reading the script, i can see more or less where hes coming from…i think its the most complex thing he ever wrote, but probably wont have the same importance and impact as pulp fiction…ill like it anyway, i like everything he does :confused:

I haven’t read the script, but I have DL’d it but refuse to read it until after I see the film. I’ll also get an official copy of the script when it becomes available. With that said…

I’ve heard the grumblings of people dissappointed with the script. They say it’s not as brilliant as his previous work, but still has the chops to be one of his best films.

This is the problem with having this information leak before the movie comes out. A script is as much a testament to how great the film is, as Mona Lisa sketch is to the actual painting. I personally think that Pulp Fiction is his best all around film. It’s probably Pound for Pound the best in his catelogue, but in my opinion it is not his masterpiece. Visually Kill Bill is almost unparalleled. The color, the style of that film has hints of previous work, while using the “Movie-Movie” excuse to include some his more glaring, out of reality set pieces and lighting.

QT has a Love-Hate relationship with Jackie Brown for almost the opposite reasons he has issues with True Romance. He wrote True Romance, while he didn’t write the original material for Jackie. People complain about the pacing in JB, but I think that JB was essential to QT because it allowed him to come into his own early as a film maker. He took someones material and made it his own, and I personally think he did a great job.

Resevoir Dogs however, I believe is QT’s masterpiece. It just plays so much into what QT is about as a film maker. It really did set the tone for everything else he did. While minimalist in nature, and as low budget as it was he managed to turn plain Black and White costumed characters into something more. He turned the ordinary bank heist into a study on how best to make the audience care for the characters. All the Tarantino idiosyncro’s are there. The same ones that made Pulp Fiction famous. You can go scene for scene and character for character with Pulp and Resevoir and you’ll get an argument either way. The only difference is that Resevoir Dogs was the Genesis.

Unless QT breaks the mold and does something completely different, I wouldn’t expect IB to be his “masterpiece”, but I’d give QT the benifit of the doubt. Walking into a DiVinci studio and criticizing his Mona Lisa sketch would be assinine. Let’s give the man the benifit of the doubt. Pesonallly, I can’t wait for this flick.

End Rant.

yeah Pitt was amazing in Snatch and Benjamin Button, I’d take him over Harrelson any day for Aldo

I got no problem with Pitt. If anything is gonna ruin the flick it ain’t gonna be him. Although having read the script I couldn’t really find anything that could be done that could ruin the movie. I don’t think QT is gonna let anything like that happen.

I’m certainly not going to write Pitt off now, but given that I haven’t enjoyed any of his performances, I’m not holding out much hope that he is going to be as brilliant as some people assume he is going to be.

never mind brilliant man (or woman). Brad Pitt isn’t really that kind of actor. He’s a pretty face that can actually act a little, not that there’s anything wrong with that. I don’t know how many people would actually expect a brilliant performance. Although it’d be bitchin’ if playing a straight outta the south hillbilly, nazi killing, WWII motha fucka in the most politicly incorrect WWII movie ever made won him an oscar. HA!

Speaking of which, how does anybody feel on the movies awards chances? Don’t normally care but with a movie that QT is touting as his masterpiece it’d be nice if some “important” movie people agree enough to award it as such.

I don’t think Tarantino does it for the awards now. Unlike Eastwood who delivers a piece of crap melodramatic bullshit flick just in time for Oscar buzz.

I’m glad Quentin doesn’t make movies expecting Oscars.

Must we all forget, that Pitt acted the sh*t out of that stoner role in True Romance.

Pitt’s gift and curse is his pretty boy image. Seems ugly people don’t like him, and I’m not sure why. (end sarcasm)

But seriously folks, this is Quentin. Pitt is a great actor. Fight Club and Snatch being my favorite performances. If Guy Ritchie and Fincher can make it work, I don’t see why Quentin couldn’t do the same. BONG!!!