Tarantino Criticism Irritates Italian Film Industry

[quote=“Pete”]
Tony: I think Asian cinema is actually leading right now in world cinema. Over the last 10 years theres been a huge explosion out of there.
[/quote]

Yeah you are right and I like every type of film but by the end of the day for me nothing matches the best Studios films… and the golden age of Japanese or Chinese cinema from the Studios is behind. There are a lot of things that I love in Korean or HK or Japanese cinema right now but there is nothing that I love more than the 50s-60s Yakuza or a Kaiju-eiga or Shaw Bros films!

[quote=“Pete”]
Hollywood will always be the leader in moviemaking simply because we make tons of movies, not because theyre all great.
[/quote]

True… I think that Hollywood is the only film industry in the world where QT could have achieve the things he did.

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
As far as comedy is concerned how Scary movie 3 can compete with Sturges or Lubitsch or Hawks?? Don’t get me wrong I’m not a Hollywood basher, Scary movie 3 made me laugh but still…
[/quote]

Are you seriously ranking Scary Movie 3 as the best of modern Hollwood comedy?

-

Don’t forget Nanni Moretti! He’s a great man.

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
There are a lot of things that I love in Korean or HK or Japanese cinema right now but there is nothing that I love more than the 50s-60s Yakuza or a Kaiju-eiga or Shaw Bros films!
[/quote]

That, to me, is all that Tarantino was getting at. Italian cinema may not totally suck, but they don’t really make all that great films. They no longer make giallo and spaghetti westerns. That’s what Tarantino loves the most. Japan no longer makes Chambara and Kaiji eiga and Yakuza films like they used to. Neither does China make the amount of Wuxia that we want or the quality heroic bloodshed that we want.

It really has nothing to do with Italy though, in my opinion. The US no longer makes women-in-prison films and Blaxploitation.

Exploitation cinema the world over has died. Sure, that is not all that Italy made and it is not all that was great about Italian cinema, but Italy no longer makes films like Fellini used to make. Or De Sica or Pasolini or Vischonti.

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
the last soavi and the last placido are good
[/quote]

Two names and movies. Not distributed in Germany. I don’t want brag, but our industry has recently a good run. Maybe Tarantino is also unsatisfied with new German films. Can only guess. The last years were really better than the grey 90’s (a bunch of comedy vehicles for TV-stars and relationship comedies). Now we’ve got the auteurs Hans Weingartner (THE WHITE SOUND, THE EDUKATERS) and Fatih Akin (SHORT SHARP SHOCK, IN JULY, HEAD-ON, EDGE OF HEAVEN), Charlie Rose darling and Oscar-winner von Donnersmarck (THE LIVES OF OTHERS), German film price winner Chris Kraus (FOUR MINUTES), the wonderful movies of Andreas Dresen (SUMMER IN BERLIN, NIGHT SHAPES), Hans-Christian Schmid’s REQUIEM (also check out LIGHTS), a realistic view of exorcism, GOODBYE LENIN, THE DOWNFALL, the Berlin school moviemakers, many Oscar nominations in the last years, the brilliant horror movie ANTIBODIES, the good horror movie TATTOO, the zombie spoof THE NIGHT OF THE LIVING DORKS, quite good movies about teenies and twenty-somethings like SCHOOL, NO REGRETS, SOLOALBUM, very sweet romantic comedies like MOSTLY MARTHA (Gedeck kicks Zeta-Jones’ ass) or Hirschbiegel’s Hollywood spring-board THE EXPERIMENT, the great Caroline Link (BEYOND SILENCE, NOWHERE IN AFRICA), very funny weed movies that imitate Tarantino like LAMMBOCK - SHIT HAPPENS, gigantic TV-productions with the cream of crop actors (THE MANNS, SPEER AND HITLER), a bunch of slasher films (ANATOMY, SWIMMING POOL, FLASHBACK), not to forget master Tom Tykwer (WINTERSLEEPERS, RUN LOLA RUN, THE PRINCESS AND THE WARRIOR) and Fassbinder wannabe Oskar Roehler (SILVESTER COUNTDOWN, NO PLACE TO GO, ELEMENTARY PARTICLES).

He is full of CRACK, sorry…

GO see Nuovomundo and Anche Libero va bene!

Those rule both in a very Italian way…new Italian cinema isnt what it used to be, but they still make awesome movies…in a different genre, but still the best in its kind :slight_smile: :angel:

well maybe he was just caught in a bad mood and a bit disappointed with the last few italian films he had seen in cinemas. i don’t blame him, i don’t necessarily remember the last italian new film i’ve seen, but it wasn’t a memorable experience or i might have remembered it.

but it applies to most european industries these days, there’s an upward struggle to revive the industry and most films are critical, thoughful, melodramatic or… depressing. but guess what, that’s usually the case in a post-war art form, and the last war is only a bit over 60 years ago

The French and Italians are making pretty cool movies though…well I think they do :stuck_out_tongue:

It sure isnt what it used to be, but its getting more to its roots or reinventing itself in a way. They are beginning to see that the aim to make commercial movies isnt very good for the industry, so lots of countries are switching to a more “French” programme, which has more creative freedom from the director in it. It sure has a long road to go. But I am a believer :slight_smile:

Anyone here seen Anche Libero Va Bene or Nuovomundo?

Swedish cinema sucks… The only good movies i’ve seen from my own friggin’ country is

Thriller: a Cruel film, a comedy called Kopps, Lilja 4-Ever, Ondskan (The Evil), Fucking Åmål (Show me Love) and a drama called Zozo

all we do is bad police thrillers and crap comedies/drama about teen angst… There’s like 40 different ‘‘Beck’’ movies and 20 ‘‘Wallander’’ films

There’s a movie that’s called Arn: The Knight Templar that based on a book which i’ve never read by famous reporter/writer Jan Guillou which im looking forward too cus it’s different then all the other swedish crap. It’s set in the medieval times of Sweden. It got some good actors in it.

Arn: The Knight Templar (2007) - IMDb

I like thriller and Fucking Amal :slight_smile:

Yeah, those two are masterpieces (along with the other ones) everything else is just masterpisses :stuck_out_tongue:

At least its better than all the crap the dutch are making and have made :stuck_out_tongue:

All we make is sexbased stuff and Paul Verhoeven stuff…did you see blackbook? If you didnt, well DONT. It sucks ass.

I don’t know if i’ve even seen a movie from zee netherlands :stuck_out_tongue:

Its probably for the best that you didn’t…You haven’t missed a lot :slight_smile:

[quote=“Bad Max”]
Swedish cinema sucks… The only good movies i’ve seen from my own friggin’ country is

Thriller: a Cruel film, a comedy called Kopps, Lilja 4-Ever, Ondskan (The Evil), Fucking Åmål (Show me Love) and a drama called Zozo

all we do is bad police thrillers and crap comedies/drama about teen angst… There’s like 40 different ‘‘Beck’’ movies and 20 ‘‘Wallander’’ films

There’s a movie that’s called Arn: The Knight Templar that based on a book which i’ve never read by famous reporter/writer Jan Guillou which im looking forward too cus it’s different then all the other swedish crap. It’s set in the medieval times of Sweden. It got some good actors in it.

Arn: The Knight Templar (2007) - IMDb
[/quote]
How about Bergman? He made some great movies

[quote=“William Cutting”]
and Fatih Akin (SHORT SHARP SHOCK, IN JULY, HEAD-ON, EDGE OF HEAVEN),
[/quote]

I personally think Head-On is the best film to come out of Germany in recent years. Akin is a brilliant filmmaker.

[quote=“Bad Max”]
Swedish cinema sucks…
[/quote]

[quote=“Seth_Gecko”]
At least its better than all the crap the dutch are making and have made :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

Well…I like Australian cinema. :slight_smile:

Seriously though, the Swedes have Moodysson who is a great director and you have fucking INGMAR BERGMAN. What are you complaining about?!!!

…and Seth, don’t underestimate Verhoeven. Turkish Delight and Robocop are masterpieces. Verhoeven’s films always look like pieces of trash on the surface, but he’s a very smart filmmaker.

[quote=“Angel”]

Well…I like Australian cinema. :slight_smile:

[/quote]
Have you seen Long Weekend?