Quentin's favorite Spaghetti Westerns

and it feels like all the characters are doomed! it’s so dark!

another great western with snow is Jeremiah Johnson, i don’t like it as much as those other two, but it is still pretty good. it feels like an epic, especially if you see it with the intermission and yet it runs 100’.

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
i don’t agree, the Great Silence, is a very good film with or without this ending. he could have killed the bad guy at the end, still it would have been great. it has a strong feeling of tragedy that runs through it that makes it really unique. the idea of having a mute character came on the set, from JL Trintignant. and it works great. the hero looks good, and the bad guy as well… Apart from that, the set is great (check out Day of the outlaws by Andre De Toth another wonderful western set up in a snowy village). and the atmosphere is priceless… several scenes with Frank Wolf as the sherif are not very good, though. hands down, one of my personal favourite is the scene where the girl takes care of the hero after he got beat up: no dialogue, shot with long lenses, very dark and yet gentle and erotic. an amazing scene!

word!
[/quote]

Yeah but most of the dialogue is pretty clunky, maybe it’s the whole American transfer thing. Like when Klaus tells one of his henchemen: “He murdered your brother” - then the henchman says: “The hell you say”. That made me laugh, now I’m not saying the film is bad, I love it actually, I’m just saying the ending is what makes this film memorable and a unique experience.

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
and it feels like all the characters are doomed! it’s so dark!

another great western with snow is Jeremiah Johnson, i don’t like it as much as those other two, but it is still pretty good. it feels like an epic, especially if you see it with the intermission and yet it runs 100’.
[/quote]

Year Robert Redford, I saw this on TCM, this and Little Big Man, back to back.

[quote=“BioBasterd”]
Yeah but most of the dialogue is pretty clunky, maybe it’s the whole American transfer thing. Like when Klaus tells one of his henchemen: “He murdered your brother” - then the henchman says: “The hell you say”. That made me laugh, now I’m not saying the film is bad, I love it actually, I’m just saying the ending is what makes this film memorable and a unique experience.
[/quote]

maybe it’s the dubbing… i’ve seen it in French and Italian, and both sounded good… and some american dubbings from the 60s and 70s are among the worst i’ve ever heard. sometimes, it feels like watching What’s up Tiger Lily by Woody Allen!

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
wow, awesome!! Quentin should make lists like that all the time and give them to us. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Thanks a lot Sebastian. It´s the most important list to me.

Can´t wait to see the grindhouse list. I hope it will be with many runners up …

It´s better to have his official lists than any other movie books.

His taste is the best, he has seen all the genre movies.

I expect Five Fingers Of Death, Coffy, Sexplorer, Rolling Thunder etc. will be on his grindhouse list …

When it will be definitely online?

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
After I watched The Great Silence, I watched this movie too cause I didn’t know much about it, even if I loved Andre De Toth for House of Wax at that time, or even The Indian Fighter and Hidden Fear.
[/quote]

Man in the saddle is fantastic… i’d love to see Indian Fighter and Hidden Fear and, most of all, Pitfall… have you seen that one?

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
Man in the saddle is fantastic… i’d love to see Indian Fighter and Hidden Fear and, most of all, Pitfall… have you seen that one?
[/quote]

Oh no, haven’t seen it yet, then I have to. I just checked out imdb and saw that it looks like a film noir, I love film noir. I’ll try to get it and watch it.

[quote=“magazine79”]
When it will be definitely online?
[/quote]

later today. you’ll see the announcement

[quote=“Sebastian”]
later today. you’ll see the announcement
[/quote]

Thank you very much!

There is also this older grindhouse or blaxploitation list from quentin here on this site (Top 7).

do you have a link?

[quote=“Sebastian”]
do you have a link?
[/quote]

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.tarantino.info/wiki/index.ph … _Magazine)”>http://www.tarantino.info/wiki/index.php/Tarantino’s_Top_7_exploitation_movies_(in_Cinescape_Magazine)</LINK_TEXT>

“the first in a series of exclusive goodies, so stay tuned and spread the word”.

@Sebastian: Are there any plans for more lists of him?

[quote=“magazine79”]
“the first in a series of exclusive goodies, so stay tuned and spread the word”.

@Sebastian: Are there any plans for more lists of him?
[/quote]

no

ok, no more list, but you have others treats waiting, right?

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
ok, no more list, but you have others treats waiting, right?
[/quote]

I hope so!

I would be very interested in his lists of

a) spy movies

b) biker movies (ok, it´s grindhouse, look at his list: savage seven)

c) melodramatic movies

d) action movies

e) yakuza

f) samurai

ok, we have his festival-playlists. Many of these films are favourites of him …

[quote=“magazine79”]
I would be very interested in his lists of

a) spy movies

b) biker movies (ok, it´s grindhouse, look at his list: savage seven)

c) melodramatic movies

d) action movies

e) yakuza

f) samurai

ok, we have his festival-playlists. Many of these films are favourites of him …
[/quote]

Except for “action” I doin’t think I’d be too fond in seeing many of those lists coz (whilst “grindhouse” was enough) I think it would be just random etc. and not specifically formed and precise.

I’d like to see the traditional genre lists from him, where he could provide his formailsed Top 20 or something, lsimilar to his “western” list;

Action/Adventure

War

Horror

Thriller

Drama

Comedy

Crime/Gangster

I always wondered if he digs 80’s B- and C-action movies, the Cannon stuff, Chuck Norris, Seagal, the late Bronsons, etc.

My favourite list would be his action movie list.

i remember reading an interview of a guy from video archive who said QT got pissed at him because he laughed at American Ninja.

my favourite list would be kung-fu…

I want to know what his Top 10 Crime Films are.