QT's Top Movie List

isn’t five fingers one of the shaw brothers reissues?

theres too much great hong kong stuff to sift through…

[quote=“AlexPallas”]
isn’t five fingers one of the shaw brothers reissues?

theres too much great hong kong stuff to sift through…
[/quote]
It is (and there is). Five Fingers is one of the movies that features Pei Mai and the White Lotus Clan, and it really is a one of the better Shaw studios joints.

It’s at the top of this board

Topic is merged

[quote=“Tanukihime”]
Topic is merged
[/quote]

merged is your middle name, baby 8)

[quote=“Johny_Exhale”]
merged is your middle name, baby 8)
[/quote]

Fucking right ;D

I still stand by my first post: Rio Bravo, Taxi Driver and Blow Out are 3 masterpieces of cinema and I love them (snap) Always have, always will.

[quote=“Tony_Rocky_Horror”]
I’ve always preferred ‘Dogs’ to ‘Pulp’. Don’t get me wrong, I think they are both smashing good films, but I believe ‘Dogs’ is more of an absolute masterpiece - that was my opinion after I first saw them, and after viewing both movies lots and lots of more times it is still how I feel. No use in explaining why, it’s just a preference of one brilliant film over another.
[/quote]

[quote=“SpongebobDurden”]
I cannot understand anyone prefering Dogs, Dogs kicks ass but it’s characters are nowhere near as strong or layered–

PF also has a lot of subtext. It actually has a meaning. Dogs is just a fucking cool, original crime flick.

[/quote]

I didn’t know that prefering Reservoir Dogs to Pulp Fiction would be a controversial position around here. I have personally always prefered Dogs.

Dogs improves with each viewing for me, but, honestly, Pulp diminishes, for me at least. It seems gimmicky to me rather than layered, and frankly, I’m not sure what the above poster meant by subtext and meaning. It’s not exactly that deep. In fact, if I were to dismiss one of them as “just a fucking cool, original crime flick,” it would be PF. Now that’s not a dig, I LOVE “fucking cool, original crime flicks”, but it has always felt like more style than substance in comparison to RD.

Dogs rules.

my favorite is a tie between pulp fiction and Reservoir Dogs

Top 3

1. Kill Bill vol2
  2. Lost in Tranlsations
  3. Ong Bak

What are QT’s all time favorite 1970’s Italian crime films? I’d really like to know!! I’ve recently discovered this genre, love it and would like to get on DVD ones QT loves. Can anyone help? Please?

[quote=“StanrickKubley”]
I’ve seen all the movies on QT’s list, and most of them I like. But “Blow Out”?!? “They All Laughed”?!? Yuck. “Blow Out” is not good; it’s just good for DePalma :wink:
[/quote]

:o

I’ll agree Blow Out isn’t good - it’s GREAAAAAT. But seriously, you don’t Blow Out? It’s one of De Palma’s best.

[quote=“m_burlock”]
What are QT’s all time favorite 1970’s Italian crime films? I’d really like to know!! I’ve recently discovered this genre, love it and would like to get on DVD ones QT loves. Can anyone help? Please?
[/quote]

Watch some Fernando Di Leo films.

[quote=“Jack Rabbit Slim”]
Watch some Fernando Di Leo films.
[/quote]

Are all his films equally good? Or are there only a few that are his very best? If so, which ones?

I’ve only seen Massacre Time(spaghetti western he wrote) and Mr Scarface.

The two Fernando Di Leo films that I now know of that Q likes and has shown at his film festival at the Alamo Drafthouse, “Wipe Out” (AKA “The Boss”) and “Shoot First, Die Later”, are out of print on R1 DVD. So is another Italian crime film he’s shown at his fest, “Machine Gun McCain”. What are some other fav Italian crime films of his? Maybe one of them is in print on R1 DVD.

[quote=“m_burlock”]
What are some other fav Italian crime films of his? Maybe one of them is in print on R1 DVD.
[/quote]

Death Rage and Cry Of A Prostitute

[quote=“Stuntman Mike B”]
[/quote]

Thanks Stuntman Mike B! Have a plate of nacho's on me! ;)

[quote=“Stuntman Mike B”]
[/quote]

"Cry of a Prostitute" is out of print. :( Are there any other 70's Italian crime films that are favorites of Q that are in print in R1?

No Shame Films have released a bunch of QTs fave crime films on Region 1. If you watch the interviews on the DVDs you’ll notice QTs name comes up alot. The ones I own are: Colt 38 Special Squad, The Last Round, Emergency Squad, Convoy Busters, Double Game, A Man Called Magnum.

I have 4 of DiLeos films on R2 (Milano Calibre 9, Il Boss, Mr Scarface, La Mala Ordina). They are awesome.

Ruggero Deodato’s Live Like A Cop, Die Like A Man is one of my faves too.

A couple Italo Crime DVD-Rs I have: The Bastard, The Big Racket

Blue Underground: Fulci’s Contraband

[quote=“PopeyePete”]
I have 4 of DiLeos films on R2 (Milano Calibre 9, Il Boss, Mr Scarface, La Mala Ordina). They are awesome.
[/quote]

you bet they are. last year i had a lunch in Rome with an actor from Milan Calibro 9. When i had my poster signed all the waiters and waitresses in the restaurant went mad: “we love this film! we love this film!”