James Ellroy on Quentin

on the other hand, who sais you have to pump popular culture into your brain in order to be part of it?

Well he seemed to pump popular culture from the 50’s into L.A. Confidential. I’m sure there where people back then that felt the same way about their current culture. Just like my friend who criticizes popular music here, but listens to mainstream europop. >:(

I don’t care if he’s better than Shakespeare. He can eat shit and die in the most painful way possible. What a motherfucker. The Serbo-Croatian war? American culture? All that shows is that he doesn’t know shit. One minute he is talking about popular culture and the next minute he is relating it to the Serbo-Croatian war. He listens to classical music and talks to his wife alot. What, we suppose to think he is some sort of all-powerful deity? Give me a fucking break.

Not exactly Angel. Ellroy means culture in general not just pop, he’s not relating that, you dig? Modify your rant. Hey I hate it when people get jumpy with Quentin too but what can you do but listen to the whore? Get me? THEN tear em a new asshole.

O yea I fucking hated LA Confi I fucking HATED THAT PIECE OF SHIT. Hey I’m starting too sound like this guy already, lol. Spooky, hehe. Maybe I’ll watch the piece of shit again just to see what this guy is made of on DVD. I hate Q bashers! Cunts!

Ellroy is entitled to his opinion, but it always bothers me when lesser artists openly put down other artists. It’s uncool when a badass does it, like say if QT trashed some crappy director (which he probably wouldn’t), but it’s doubly uncool when someone as inferior to QT as Ellroy says something so wrong. And I’m not just worshipping QT here. It’s just that Ellroy is saying QT’s writing is off the top of his head, which, as we all know, couldn’t be further from reality. Pulp Fiction is one of the best conceived, best executed movies in film history; it is a model of good craftsmanship. Plus, let’s get real, L.A. Confidential was oKAY but nothing special, and neo noir is for pussies, except for Frank Miller’s version which took noir to its logical conclusion. In short, Ellroy is a middle-of-the-road writer. QT is the most exciting filmmaker in the world. Ellroy is just talking like an old man who doesn’t get it, so f’ him.

Yeah, like my post about how Cronenberg got away with what he said about QT because i respect him enough and his done enough great work to be entitled to an opinion. Opinions have to be earned.

and noir has no ‘e’

[quote=“Angel”]
Yeah, like my post about how Cronenberg got away with what he said about QT because i respect him enough and his done enough great work to be entitled to an opinion. Opinions have to be earned.

and noir has no ‘e’
[/quote]Hey, at least I spelled it the same way twice. Consistency is the thing :smiley:

Beautiful fucking speech Stanley, couldn’t of put it more eloquently. Well fucking put about Frank Fucking Miller.

[quote=“The Seb”]since when does a novel writer consider himself a professional critic of screenwriting…
[/quote]

Well horror novelist Ramsay Campbell heads a film review show on the radio in Liverpool.

[quote=“Joker”]
Beautiful fucking speech Stanley, couldn’t of put it more eloquently. Well fucking put about Frank Fucking Miller.
[/quote]Thanks. Word.

[quote=“StanrickKubley”]
Ellroy is entitled to his opinion, but it always bothers me when lesser artists openly put down other artists. It’s uncool when a badass does it, like say if QT trashed some crappy director (which he probably wouldn’t), but it’s doubly uncool when someone as inferior to QT as Ellroy says something so wrong. And I’m not just worshipping QT here. It’s just that Ellroy is saying QT’s writing is off the top of his head, which, as we all know, couldn’t be further from reality. Pulp Fiction is one of the best conceived, best executed movies in film history; it is a model of good craftsmanship. Plus, let’s get real, L.A. Confidential was oKAY but nothing special, and neo noir is for pussies, except for Frank Miller’s version which took noir to its logical conclusion. In short, Ellroy is a middle-of-the-road writer. QT is the most exciting filmmaker in the world. Ellroy is just talking like an old man who doesn’t get it, so f’ him.
[/quote]

Holy friggin’ shit,… did you just call James Ellroy a “lesser artist” than Quentin Tarantino???

Are you out of your mind?

How many movies has QT made? How many classic works of crime fiction has Ellroy written? It’s not even close. With all due respect to Tarantino, he’s got a LOOONG way to go before he’s in the same class as a James Ellroy, and I suspect that Quentin himself would be the first to agree with me on that.

It seems like your judgement of Ellroy is based soley on the film version of one of his books - that makes you look like you don’t have the slightest clue what you’re talking about. Considering you seem to know something about authors like Willeford and Thompson, I would hope you’ld know better than to dismiss a writer because of a filmed version of their work, but, well, you said what you said, and I can’t explain it. Maybe you can?

First of all, you’re basing your argument on the assumption that I’m an idiot. Am I an Ellroy expert? No. But I’ve read his work.

Second, “classic” is a subjective term, and I couldn’t care less how popular Ellroy is. Do you think Stephen King is the best American writer that ever lived? Nuff said. Simply, Ellroy is competent, but I’m not a fan, and I think QT is a modern Twain, especially when it comes to Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Ellroy hasn’t touched those works in his novels, not even come close IMO. And as far as output goes, Fitzgerald is one of my favorite American novelists, and I only like one of his novels!

[quote=“mondo68”]
Holy friggin’ shit,… did you just call James Ellroy a “lesser artist” than Quentin Tarantino???

Are you out of your mind?

How many movies has QT made? How many classic works of crime fiction has Ellroy written? It’s not even close. With all due respect to Tarantino, he’s got a LOOONG way to go before he’s in the same class as a James Ellroy, and I suspect that Quentin himself would be the first to agree with me on that.

It seems like your judgement of Ellroy is based soley on the film version of one of his books - that makes you look like you don’t have the slightest clue what you’re talking about. Considering you seem to know something about authors like Willeford and Thompson, I would hope you’ld know better than to dismiss a writer because of a filmed version of their work, but, well, you said what you said, and I can’t explain it. Maybe you can?
[/quote]

Tarantino is an established screenwriter. He is just as established as Ellroy which means that Ellroy has no right to say he is a bad writer. I’ll stand by StanrickKubley. Ellroy doesn’t mean very much to me. Tarantino does. And last time I checked this was a Tarantino forum.

Until Ellroy writes AND directs a great film hes not on the same level as QT.

[quote=“silentsean”]
lets me an agry mom with hayforks and torches and marched to his house and rape him ! whos with me!!!
[/quote]

hehe!! lol, :slight_smile: :smiley:

[quote=“WinslowLeach”]
Until Ellroy writes AND directs a great film hes not on the same level as QT.
[/quote]

That’s completely rediculous.

[quote=“Angel”]
Tarantino is an established screenwriter. He is just as established as Ellroy which means that Ellroy has no right to say he is a bad writer. I’ll stand by StanrickKubley. Ellroy doesn’t mean very much to me. Tarantino does. And last time I checked this was a Tarantino forum.
[/quote]

This “no right” thing is a little disturbing. When you put art out there, everybody has the “right” to an opinion on it.

And yeah, it’s a Tarantino board, but that doesn’t mean we can’t think for ourselves.

Elmore Leonard likes Tarantino, and he kicks Ellroys ass. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Angel”]
[/quote]

I agree with you there.