Cannes Coverage 2009

[quote=“Pinkman”]
lol I don’t really know why he absolutely wants the Playlist review, like they are gods or something. You need more than one to get an average response.
[/quote]

You know why. My thoughts on it are almost exactly like theirs. They’re looking for what I’m looking for. Remember how they’re in denial about QT’s campiness and prefer his 90’s works to his other works? Well I’m the same. 2+2 :wink:

It’s just personal preference, too. I’m sure you have you favourite review sites and would welcome them as well as random reviews or critics, at least when it’s to get an early look at something.

yeah but I wouldn’t put too much faith in them since they apparently want something very specific from QT. In other words they are biased, surely just like you, you might be right. I would gladly welcome their reviews, but for me it would be very insufficient. We need perspectives from people who doesn’t necessarily expect something, fresh ones and from various sources.

And I don’t really care about one particular review site, I tend to take the most possible sources. An even with all that I take my distance from them. You know, here in France and USA too, they said Die hard 4 was a good action movie…

[quote=“Kinick”]
You know why. My thoughts on it are almost exactly like theirs. They’re looking for what I’m looking for. Remember how they’re in denial about QT’s campiness and prefer his 90’s works to his other works? Well I’m the same. 2+2 :wink:
[/quote]

Kinick this thing you have about being anti-camp, (I wouldnt call anything QT has done “camp”) or anti-B-movie is kinda weird because QTs been making his films in the same way since he started. Part homage/part reinvention/all personal. I think youre one of the “Tarantino should only make crime films” types. Its like you only want movies with the black n white suits and guns going off or something. That gets really stale. After I saw Dogs, Pulp, Jackie, I was ready for something new and I loved Kill Bill (it wasnt camp, it was just great fun). Death Proof I’ll admit isnt one of his best movies, but you really should keep an open mind towards movies in general. QT writes all this stuff from scratch too. Hes not doing remakes or book adaptations everytime out. Give the guy a break.

[quote=“Pinkman”]
yeah but I wouldn’t put too much faith in them since they apparently wants something very specific from QT. In other words they are biased, surely just like you, you might be right. I would gladly welcome their reviews, but for me it would be very insufficient. We need perspectives from people who doesn’t necessarily expect something, fresh ones and from various sources.
[/quote]

Exactly. Which is why I said it’s just for me. I don’t think it’s about being biased, just personal taste. Again, they loved the script and have been championing it from the get-go. You shouldn’t put your faith them, but I’d do before any other review out of there, considering…

Ignore me dude. Its all good, but at least Im making some points here. If you dont want to debate, thats fine. I really hope you come around and see IB and get some level of respect for QTs work outside of the crime genre films he did. You dont really sound like an all around film lover to me, more of an average filmgoer. So you probably dont have an open mind towards all movies. Like you’ll blindly dismiss anything thats not “serious” as bad or camp. I dont ascribe to that way of thinking and I dont think QT does either. Being a fan of someone doesnt mean you stop being a fan because they change their style and dont spoonfeed you everytime they make something new. Its just part of being an artist thats exploring.

[quote=“Pete”]
Ignore me dude. Its all good, but at least Im making some points here. If you dont want to debate, thats fine. I really hope you come around and see IB and get some level of respect for QTs work outside of the crime genre films he did. You dont really sound like an all around film lover to me, more of an average filmgoer. So you probably dont have an open mind towards all movies. Like you’ll blindly dismiss anything thats not “serious” as bad or camp. I dont ascribe to that way of thinking and I dont think QT does either.
[/quote]

No worries, man. I’m not an “all around film lover” by any means. I’d rather ignore than get into an argument where you just end with insulting and the posts just get deleted.

RE you’re last post. I’ve explained that so many times the last few months in other threads, explaining how it’s not just wanting Pulp Fiction 2 or another crime film, or for IB, Saving Private Ryan 2. So I don’t feel need to articulate all that again. People seemed to understand it, or at least respect it.

So youre not an all around film fan who enjoys watching diff kinds of films without the snobby labels and prejudices? OK, if thats a known fact then I guess I dont really have to say anything else. That kinda sucks though if you cant watch something without bashing it for being a little outrageous or strange. Why even watch movies if you feel that way?

Yeah, move on Pete. This whole thing has no end, it’s pointless. I think we have passed enough time on the subject and we didn’t reach to an understanding, it’s not the end of the world. let’s focus on IB, which we all are waiting for. At least we get that in common, and that’s why this forum is made.

[quote=“Pinkman”]
Yeah, move on Pete. This whole thing has no end, it’s pointless. I think we have passed enough time on the subject and we didn’t reach to an understanding, it’s not the end of the world. let’s focus on IB, which we all are waiting for. At least we get that in common, and that’s why this forum is made.
[/quote]

Yeah, but you knew that from the start, so I don’t know why you felt the need to call me on it coz I said I was looking forward to a certain review. :wink:

Yeah youre right Pink. I shouldnt be so hard on the K man. I just hope people give QT a chance with each film and dont keep on having these preconceived expectations. What we all want is to see an entertaining film that we can all get something from. Thats all you can really ask I think. We all know IB wont be a phenomenon like Pulp was. Thats a once in a career type deal.

[quote=“Kinick”]
Yeah, but you knew that from the start, so I don’t know why you felt the need to call me on it coz I said I was looking forward to a certain review. :wink:
[/quote]
lol, because it seemed weird to me to trust one movie blog that much. And I was teasing you a little bit, but I won’t restart this long battle with you. No worries, I’m as tired as you that it leads nowhere.

And Pete, I’m not 100% with you on this. Just because PF is a rare achievement, it’s not a reason for QT to become lazy, I don’t want that. But again, KB is not a lazy work so I don’t complain. The IB script I read is his best since JB as far as I’m concerned, maybe even better but for that I have still to see it on screen, so again I’m not that worried. Just need some reviews that it has been well translated on screen.

[quote=“Pinkman”]
lol, because it seemed weird to me to trust one movie blog that much. And I was teasing you a little bit, but I won’t restart this long battle with you. No worries, I’m as tired as you that it leads nowhere.[/quote]

OK then. And it’s not to say that I’m relying on this one review to determine exactly what IB will be like. Just because they love it doesn’t mean I necessarily will or vice-versa. I’ll be checking out every review I get my hands on, but it was just the prospect of getting an early look via their review too… considering how much we have in common on the project. I mean IB is still 3 months away for us and they’re the one site who’ve followed the movie as close as us who I know will be there.

[quote=“Pinkman”]
And Pete, I’m not 100% with you on this. Just because PF is a rare achievement, it’s not a reason for QT to become lazy, I don’t want that.
[/quote]

Not saying that at all. Im just saying Pulp was a major cinema benchmark in the 90s, its just not realistic to expect that kind of major phenomenon to happen again. Its a one time only thing. I dont want QT to be lazy about anything he makes. The closest he could get to that would be if he won the Palm D’Or again. But even that doesnt mean IB will have the same effect on world cinema as Pulp did.

[quote=“Sebastian”]

somebody send me a few hundred bucks and i’ll be there. you’ll have a review within 12 hours after the screening … :frowning:
[/quote]

How many “bucks” is “a few hundred”?

[quote=“Pete”]
Not saying that at all. Im just saying Pulp was a major cinema benchmark in the 90s, its just not realistic to expect that kind of major phenomenon to happen again. Its a one time only thing. I dont want QT to be lazy about anything he makes. The closest he could get to that would be if he won the Palm D’Or again. But even that doesnt mean IB will have the same effect on world cinema as Pulp did.
[/quote]

No doubt. He could make any movie better than Pulp Fiction and that doesn’t mean it’ll be the kind that will change cinema. Pulp Fiction is a great example of right mother fucking place, right mother fucking time.

[quote=“Pete”]
Isnt Lili going to Cannes? If so, she should report on the film to us.
[/quote]

If I had an invit, I’ll be def going cause I have friends there and I wouldn’t pay any hotel room or anything. I had no acreditation this year, I was way too busy to take care of it and ask my job to take some days off. I’d love to go there and make a review if I could.

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
If I had an invit, I’ll be def going cause I have friends there and I wouldn’t pay any hotel room or anything. I had no acreditation this year, I was way too busy to take care of it and ask my job to take some days off. I’d love to go there and make a review if I could.
[/quote]

Have you ever gotten to see any screenings at Cannes in previous years?

[quote=“Kinick”]
Have you ever gotten to see any screenings at Cannes in previous years?
[/quote]

I was in Cannes the year od Death Proof. So of course I had an accreditation and could go to any screenings. Plus I had a friend who could get us into after screenings parties. I’ve seen Tarantino everyday he was in Cannes, he was there four days before the DP screening (usually directors only come the day before their movie premiere) and stayed after. I’ve shaken his hands so many times that I think he recognized me after the third times, ahaha. I’ve even seen him at a bar when I was drinking with some friends. Saw him at the Rio Bravo screening, he was a guest introducing the movie, wasn’t announced. And he was in the audience of the Scorsese masterclass, which I was in too, sitten not so far from Taratino. Doesn’t Cannes sound cool ? You can meet everybody if you have an accreditation, can go to screenings and have enough courage to go shake their hands as if they were regular persons, ahah.

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
I was in Cannes the year od Death Proof. So of course I had an accreditation and could go to any screenings. Plus I had a friend who could get us into after screenings parties. I’ve seen Tarantino everyday he was in Cannes, he was there four days before the DP screening (usually directors only come the day before their movie premiere) and stayed after. I’ve shaken his hands so many times that I think he recognized me after the third times, ahaha. I’ve even seen him at a bar when I was drinking with some friends. Saw him at the Rio Bravo screening, he was a guest introducing the movie, wasn’t announced. And he was in the audience of the Scorsese masterclass, which I was in too, sitten not so far from Taratino. Doesn’t Cannes sound cool ? You can meet everybody if you have an accreditation, can go to screenings and have enough courage to go shake their hands as if they were regular persons, ahah.
[/quote]

Aweshume!

Ahaha. Did you really think I’d be part of those fans going to Cannes to look out the beach cause I’d have no access to the fest, and therefore no access to the screenings ? The train to Cannes is pretty expensive, and the life there also is, so if I went there it’s only cause I had an accreditation and I was sure to see everything I wanted to see. I saw like 4 to 5 movies a day. Went numerous times on the red carpet and saw dozen of dozen of celebrities, ahah. That’s Cannes, all the glam side of movies festival ;D