The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Your favourite reference or "nod" in any QT movie?

What is your favourite reference or nod to anything that QT has ever done in one of his movies or scripts?

My favourite reference is one that seems to be unnoticed by everbody, including hardcore QT fans:

In Four Rooms, when Ted is pissed and wants to bail, owner Betty over the telephone wants to convince him to stay and explains that Chester Rush (QT’s character) is an important guest for the hotel. She then goes into the history of the hotel and somewhere she says something like “The 80’s were also rough for us, although we were the official hotel for Cannon Films”

Cannon Films is my favourite movie producing company ever. They released many many old school action classics like

American Ninja

Death Wish 2

Death Wish 3

Invasion U.S.A.

Missing in Action

Masters of the Universe

Lone Wolf McQuade

Over the Top

Breakin’

Breakin’ 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Cannon was a major player throughout the 80’s, until at the beginning of the 90’s some bad business decisions sealed their fate and they went bancrupt.

Best nod ever!!

My favorite reference comes from my favorite scene in a Tarantino film. In the beginning of Kill Bill Vol. 2, when the Bride meets Bill for the first time, Bill says, “I happen to be more or less particular to who my gal marries.” It is a reference to a similar quote in Howard Hawkes great film His Girl Friday.

what´s the matter, pickin a favourite too hard for ya all?

[quote=“Crazy_Hattori”]
what´s the matter, pickin a favourite too hard for ya all?
[/quote]

there are so many, its impossible to chose. So for me, yes.

Well “The Bodyguard” reference is pretty cool

I dug the Anna Karina ref in Pulp with Mia’s haircut/the Bande a part-esque dance at Jack Rabbit Slim’s.

But I am a total Godardslut.

I love the Bruce Lee Yellow/black suit & the Lee Marvin thing in Reservoir Dogs 8)

’‘I bet you’re a big Lee Marvin fan, ain’t ya?’’ ;D

[quote=“sev”]
I dug the Anna Karina ref in Pulp with Mia’s haircut/the Bande a part-esque dance at Jack Rabbit Slim’s.

But I am a total Godardslut.
[/quote]

Like those too.

I also like the door that closes by itself like in The Searchers.

The Zatoichi reference in Death Proof, the many Kung Fu references in Kill Bill, the Green Acres reference in Pulp Fiction (not because it was cool, but because the context was hilarious).

you remember the scene in kill bill vol. 2 when karen kim wants to kill the bride but she tells her that she’s pregnant? well, before that, she’s throwing a knife which stucks into karen kim’s arm (i guess it’s her arm) for the whole scene… that’s a reference to a similar knife-throwing scene in the streetfighter with sonny chiba…

[quote=“Le Fou”]
you remember the scene in kill bill vol. 2 when karen kim wants to kill the bride but she tells her that she’s pregnant? well, before that, she’s throwing a knife which stucks into karen kim’s arm (i guess it’s her arm) for the whole scene… that’s a reference to a similar knife-throwing scene in the streetfighter with sonny chiba…
[/quote]

Her arm? Hahahahaha

yeah, it always looks like it’s stuck in her forearm (could also be her shotgun but i don’t think so)… i don’t know if i’m the first one to notice that + the connection to the streetfighter… weird scene…

[quote=“Le Fou”]
yeah, it always looks like it’s stuck in her forearm (could also be her shotgun but i don’t think so)… i don’t know if i’m the first one to notice that + the connection to the streetfighter… weird scene…
[/quote]

She CLEARLY catches the knife at the butt of her gun.

Probably my favorite nod (At the moment) is the mention of Shogun Assassin in Vol-2. Ironically, when Bea and her daughter are watching the movie on TV, that whole dialogue you hear playing on the TV was sampled years earlier as the intro for rapper GZA’s album, “Liquid Swords”, which was produced by The RZA. Who would later show up to compose music for Kill Bill!

[quote=“Bad Max”]

I also like the door that closes by itself like in The Searchers.
[/quote]

i love those ones also.

the music cue from The Psychic in the hospital scene in vol 1

All About Lily Chou Chou music in KB Vol.1 was definitely one of the weirder ones. But hey, kinda cool that the two best movies of the 2000’s share music.

Help, Hung, I’m drawing a blank. Where’s the music from All About Lily Chou Chou in Vol. 1?

Mike: It plays when The Bride first enters Hattori’s attic.

Thanks.

That song is great.

Yeah, that song is great.

Just the other day TCM played Goke Body Snatcher from Hell. Good shit!

In the deleted scenes on the Dogs dvd When the black cop mentions some cop called Dolenz. he says “any relation to Mickey Dolenz?” (from the monkeys tv show) .cracks me up!