The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Writer or Director?

here is a topic i havent seen here.

who do you think is better: quentin the writer or quentin the director?

writer.

i think he’s best as a director, either because he directs what he wrote, or because he is such a fanatic and making movies, not only at writing

I love the way he directes and the way he writes his movies.

I´m a fan of his movies, cuz he is a good - a fucking good - director. And I love to read his scripts, it is like reading a book. And that he is able to write and to bring this written words alive in such a great style is what he brings him to my fav list…

I would say writer.

The #1 thing everyone brings up when they talk about a Tarantino movie (Kill Bill aside) is the dialogue. Thats essentially the only thing he gives us in his movies that we haven’t already seen before. When it comes to direction, he isn’t so much an innovater as a re-mixer.

I think he’s a great director, but I love his movies ultimately because of the combination of writing and direction he uses. If it weren’t for his writing talents, though, I honestly don’t believe he would even be mentioned in the same breath as people like Sergio Leone and Martin Scorsese. Remember it was his WRITING, his scripts, that got him in to Hollywood. If he wasn’t such a spectacular writer, Reservoir Dogs would have never gotten the greenlight and Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and Kill Bill wouldn’t have resulted from that.

I agree with most of what you just said there.

Tarantino is the best of the both, but i think i love the way he writes a little bit more. The thing is, he is not a good actor, he is fine, but not great. Its better he stay writting and directing only.

I wouldn’t go so far as to saying he shouldn’t act altogether, but a cameo here and there would be ok.

writer

Both, though when he is only credited as the writer, the film does lose that Tarantino magic. No doubt.

Both.

[quote=“Seb Himself (admin)”]
i think he’s best as a director, either because he directs what he wrote, or because he is such a fanatic and making movies, not only at writing
[/quote]

This is a good answer because you aren’t really choose one : he’s an amazing director and he’s an amazing writer, and the two things are going together… I think it is a good point to say that he’s an excellent director because he directs what he wants to directed, what he has written. All what makes his great way to direct is also his way to write. To make an excellent movie QT needs to have an excellent script. And then he can make what he wants when he shoots, because he has already a really good and solid base to allow himself to do all what he wants. He doesn’t depend of a script of someone else, and he doesn’t have to check every time if the scrpt works, or if he needs to change it…