The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

When did you first start being a fan?

January of '95, after I watched Pulp Fiction. Then watched Reservoir Dogs, then started catching up on all his other work at the time and have been a fan ever since.

Now, I was 15 at the time and am 28 now. It’s interesting seeing the ages of some members here, I think I saw someone down below that was 15. When did you become a Tarantino fan? I realize most people here are probably younger than me and some people must’ve been toddlers when ResDogs first came out. This blows my mind.

I first saw Pulp Fiction two years ago, and have become a HUGE fan since then. I know, two years is not long, but I’m only 18 now.

1992 after I saw Dogs.

wdt turned me on to tarantino.

but seriously, last night my father in law and I watched Pulp - he told me it was very distrubing - I said “just wait until the spider catches a couple of flies”

I would say about 1994 maybe 1995. I had heard of Dogs but it didnt play around here. I saw Pulp Fiction and was amazed. I still did not know who QT was, other than some interviews I saw on TV at the time, so it took a few years to become a fan. Once I saw dogs on video I became very aware and by the time Dusk til Dawn came out I was a total fan. I dont know if he will ever do another epic on par with Pulp Fiction but he is still the man in my book.

The Coen brothers are the only directors I hold in higher regaurd. No one can match their talent.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.p … 80.30.html”>http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php/topic,3080.30.html</LINK_TEXT>

[quote=“Knoxville Kingpin”]
No one can match their talent.
[/quote]

Sergio Leone :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t see the appeal of the Coens… I like The Big Lebowski and Fargo but that’s about it. Miller’s Crossing did not meet my expectations, not to mention the characters weren’t very likeable, except for Bernie. Other than that the other Coen films I’ve seen have been just okay, nothing special.

Haha, you must be crazy!! The Coen Brothers are kinda like the guy they have been greatly influenced by… Stanley Kubrick. I mean all the Coens’ films are completely different. They are all nothing short of brilliant. I love their dialogue. It’s a shame that in films like Fargo, O Brother and The Ladykillers the great dialogue can sometimes be lost on the viewer due to the character’s accents. They are in the running for the big prize at Cannes with QT and Fincher, should be interesting. QT is also a huge Coen’s fan. I think I remember him saying he puts Blood Simple up there with the greats. I can’t wait for the next Coen brothers movie, seems it’ll be brilliant.

I became a fan after I found out QT was a fan of Leone and genre flicks (and after already seeing Pulp Fiction), and after first hearing about Kill Bill and reading the script. I rented RD and JB that summer and became a fan of him as a filmmaker also rather than just as a movie geek, and there you go.

And The Coen Brothers are overrated.

I did after watching JB

[quote=“visualsynergy”]
And The Coen Brothers are overrated.
[/quote]

If anything, they’re underrated.

3 years ago when i saw kill bill volume 1, i heard of him before that but as soon as i saw it i brought all his other movies

after I saw Pulp

After watching Pulp Fiction I became a fan

may 1992 when reservoir dogs was screened in cannes even though i had to wait til september of that year for its release and eventually see it :slight_smile:

[quote=“Ify”]
If anything, they’re underrated.
[/quote]

How are they underrated?

i think he meant something like underappreciated… but they’re cult indie directors, they just don’t get the public appreciation they deserve…

[quote=“visualsynergy”]
How are they underrated?
[/quote]

Well, they hardly feature in anybody’s top 10 greatest filmmakers lists, but you’ll see their films crop up a lot in people’s greatest film lists. They hardly get the respect they deserve. It’s a bit sad how they have resorted to making films catering for the mainstream, in order to become more popular. My thinking is, if you don’t appreciate a Coen brothers film, you really do not deserve to watch them. Fargo, O Brother, The Big Lebowski are all fucking brilliant. They write some of the greatest dialogue ever. Their characters are so distinct, unusual and likeable. They’re soundtracks are always superb and they have the knack of getting their actors to give some of their greatest performances.

[quote=“Ify”]
Haha, you must be crazy!! The Coen Brothers are kinda like the guy they have been greatly influenced by… Stanley Kubrick. I mean all the Coens’ films are completely different. They are all nothing short of brilliant. I love their dialogue. It’s a shame that in films like Fargo, O Brother and The Ladykillers the great dialogue can sometimes be lost on the viewer due to the character’s accents. They are in the running for the big prize at Cannes with QT and Fincher, should be interesting. QT is also a huge Coen’s fan. I think I remember him saying he puts Blood Simple up there with the greats. I can’t wait for the next Coen brothers movie, seems it’ll be brilliant.
[/quote]

I agree. IMO they are the best directors/writers on the planet. Only Clint Eastwood can even come close to them(although he is no writer, he is one hell of an actor). Their films contain the best dialog around. The Hudsucker Proxy is perhaps the most under rated comedy ever! I don’t see how a true film fan could not love them. Anyone who bad lips them loses all my respect and deserves a kick in the balls for being a moron.

I love the Coens although Im a bigger QT fan. They are right up there with him on my list though.