The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

What music are you currently listening to (part 5)

Whenever someone says “x is the best y from z”, I just have the tendency to say it isn’t. Especially when they finish the sentence with the word “ever”, that’s the worst :smiley:

As I said, the “shit taste” part was just a normal reaction at the time I thought you were priding yourself with having 100 albums in your possession, I admitted I misunderstood what you said, now would be the time to get over it, for both of us. And yes, that might have been an overreaction anyway, I guess I lost my cool there.

Then, I don’t see why the harmonies in that song are so great, and even so, why should a song have great harmonies to be a good song? I think that’s a very interesting question. Especially now that I can’t live a day without listening to Franz Liszt, who had an absolute love and great talent for making great disharmonic themes.

In the end, it all comes down to my initial reaction, I really don’t see what makes that song so great, and it’s definitely not the greatest ever in my eyes, even when considering pop songs only :smiley:

The main missing ingredient for me is that it’s not catchy at all. It’s kinda hard for me to explain it in english words but yeah, Mrs Robinson is a very catchy song that I could listen to all day. I found kinda hard to concentrate and listen to that track from The Kinks 2 times in a row.

FW, geez dude, do you just ENJOY ANYTHING in life? I mean, do you debate every little thing to death in real life? Chillax. Not everything’s a contest. Music is purely individual interpretation. That’s why there’s so much of it to choose from.

what the fuck did i just say geoi? "just enjoy the fucking tune"

i didn’t start this. i enjoy everything i talk passionately about, that’s pretty obvious. i’m not one of those people who lazily enjoy one thing to the next and when someone purposefully targets that thing shrugs it off. you obviously don’t love something if you aren’t going to back it up. and i can’t say something as concrete as “best pop song ever” and then just rebuttal Rat with “its got guitars and they play them. its awesome. you’re a fuck”.

[quote=“Sgt. Geoi Donowitz”]FW, geez dude, do you just ENJOY ANYTHING in life? I mean, do you debate every little thing to death in real life? Chillax. Not everything’s a contest. Music is purely individual interpretation. That’s why there’s so much of it to choose from.[/quote]

I think I started the debate and should be blamed for that one time :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m listening to Jacques Dutronc, my favourite french singer, along with Serge Gainsbourg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox78kkdaOJU

Have you ever seen a man with so much style? I didn’t think so. Classy. (aside from the obvious playback :p)

[quote=“RatQuiRit”]Whenever someone says “x is the best y from z”, I just have the tendency to say it isn’t. Especially when they finish the sentence with the word “ever”, that’s the worst :smiley:

As I said, the “shit taste” part was just a normal reaction at the time I thought you were priding yourself with having 100 albums in your possession, I admitted I misunderstood what you said, now would be the time to get over it, for both of us. And yes, that might have been an overreaction anyway, I guess I lost my cool there.

Then, I don’t see why the harmonies in that song are so great, and even so, why should a song have great harmonies to be a good song? I think that’s a very interesting question. Especially now that I can’t live a day without listening to Franz Liszt, who had an absolute love and great talent for making great disharmonic themes.

In the end, it all comes down to my initial reaction, I really don’t see what makes that song so great, and it’s definitely not the greatest ever in my eyes, even when considering pop songs only :smiley:

The main missing ingredient for me is that it’s not catchy at all. It’s kinda hard for me to explain it in english words but yeah, Mrs Robinson is a very catchy song that I could listen to all day. I found kinda hard to concentrate and listen to that track from The Kinks 2 times in a row.[/quote]

i didn’t say harmonies make a great song. i was just using one example of why that song is good and just so happens in the genre of pop harmonies are an integral part to that kind of music. from the beatles to the beach boys to michael jackson to madonna to rihanna. harmonies are an integral part just as rhythms and melodies are too. but it just so happens that the harmonies and the production quality of waterloo sunset exceeded my expectations based on what i’ve heard from the album its on which is quite disappointing as a whole.

Jacques Dutronc is da man.

Did you know that his son, Thomas Dutronc, not only looks a lot like him, but also plays the guitar and sings a lot like he used to. In fact it’s absolutely amazing

also, what’s the purpose of having a forum of discussion if we’re just going to sit around like a bunch of mindless monkeys and highfive each other for being awesome? its a forum. you need to have disagreements in order to have discussion otherwise you’d just have people going around saying: “saw Book of Eli this weekend, it was good.” “That is awesome, dude, your opinion is awesome!”

then what do they say? “No, you’re awesome!” “You’re awesomer!”

it turns out people have more to talk about when they disagree. that’s why i fucking love debating!

yeah, i’ve heard thom dutronc but it was just too cookie-cutter for me.

[quote=“F.W.”]what the fuck did i just say geoi? "just enjoy the fucking tune"

i didn’t start this. i enjoy everything i talk passionately about, that’s pretty obvious. i’m not one of those people who lazily enjoy one thing to the next and when someone purposefully targets that thing shrugs it off. you obviously don’t love something if you aren’t going to back it up. and i can’t say something as concrete as “best pop song ever” and then just rebuttal Rat with “its got guitars and they play them. its awesome. you’re a fuck”.[/quote]

It’s just a pattern I see all the time with you. Chill. I didn’t say anything mean. No offense meant. Geez, like a woman on PMS.

Geoi you should just ban FW.

i took offense because you clearly jumped the gun and assumed i started it.

[quote=“Mr.Pink”]Geoi you should just ban FW.[/quote]

please, do.

[quote=“F.W.”]i took offense because you clearly jumped the gun and assumed i started it.[/quote]

That sounds like me sometimes when you start stuff with my opinion, so RQR started something about your opinion and here we are full circle. ???

no one wants to hear about your 97th tear, g.

[quote=“F.W.”]no one wants to hear about your 97th tear, g.[/quote]

Coming full circle though, just seems funny. ;D

I say something about a band I like, F.W. can say all the shit he wants.

F.W. says something about a band he likes, RQR says something, sounds like F.W. is tearing up now. Why is it fine if you do it, but then turn around and it’s who started first when someone else started it? And what the fuck is 97th tear? I’ll sound like you now, “If you didn’t start with me, none of those times wouldn’t happen!”. Sounds like you right now, is all I’m saying.

Oh and you talk about “discussions” on here, when you being always right doesn’t sound like discussions to me.

it’s not about being always right but i’m not gonna argue my point and then turn around and say "oh i’m wrong."

i don’t care that rat started anything here. but credit is due to him, not me. of course its okay to knock something i like but i’m not gonna not say something back. you say this over and over and i tell you this over and over. why haven’t you got the point yet g? go ahead, say shit, i’ll say shit back. that’s how a discussion works. you keep bringing this shit up. it’s stupid. i might as well leave. its like i’m talking to spam bots.

haha, do what? It sounds to me I am talking to a spam bot.

Look I just saw a page of this shit and it looked so much like past shit. I know you joke and play around alot and I get that, but you clearly try to point out who started what like you were trying to say your ass for some reason when Geoi came into it. It is stupid, just pointing out stupid shit.

No one is saying let’s all be stupid and think the same way. But there are extremes and you should know this. You are a very bright person on here. I don’t know why it’s like night and day when I talk to you. It’s already boring on here as it is, now we got to really talk shit about other people’s likes. I am 100% fine with discussions but that is not what you are doing when you start out with someone is stupid for liking this or that. It’s baiting.

I didn’t say one thing about your opinion on the Kinks, just trying to say hey, open your eyes, looks like this page full of shit has happened before.

yet you contribute to it by sticking your nose in it?

that’s great.

[quote=“F.W.”]yet you contribute to it by sticking your nose in it?

that’s great.[/quote]

Just saying instead of popping up on my posts saying Guns n' Roses sucks balls when I wasn't even talking to you, say something like this instead, "I don't like them, but hey G have you heard of this band.....".

You said something about the Kinks and that is what RQR did. The script was flipped and now you are on the side I have been on with you. Doesn't matter when someone "sticks" their nose in it. Remember you stuck your nose in that GNR discussion and so did someone else when Bruce came up, and you didn't care to call them out.