What I still can't decide

We were talking today, me and my friends about filmmaking. And a question came up.

Imagine you were a really famous film director, you would write scripts for your films, generate the plot and be the director, and you already had three or four big successful films. Now you were out of ideas and thought of making something easy, so

1. Think of a person you’d make a movie about;
  2. Think of a book or a short story you’d make into a movie;
  3. Think of a remake of an already existing movie you’d make.

I could only decide about the story, I’d make a really big 4 hours long Oliver Twist movie, showing all the thieves and criminals like they should be shown, I’m still thinking of a person and a remake.

Your turn. It was a pretty hard question actually.

person: Erich von Stroheim

reason: increadible interesting person, he lied about a lot of his past, he was one of the most brutal directors, didnt care about the actors, he was hard as fuck, yet he was a soft person off-set, his carreer wasnt so amazing, but the person Erich Von Stroheim is just so facinating to me, the last words he said before he died were "dying isnt the worst thing that happend to me, the worst thing is that they stole 25 years from me"

book: Hunter S Thompson - The Curse of Lono

reason: his most underrated book, great story, could make an excellent film with a great cast, has great charactures, and it should be made by someone who understands Hunter, and I understand Hunter

remake: Lawrence of Arabia

reason: my dream is to make epics, i want my films to be larger than life, i wanna stand on top of a huge hill screaming through a loudhailer telling 5.000 extras what to do, my life long dream is remaking David Lean films, especially Lawrence of Arabia

1. Think of a person you’d make a movie about; - The Beatles

2. Think of a book or a short story you’d make into a movie; “Shadow of the Wind” - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

3. Think of a remake of an already existing movie you’d make. None.

1. Martin Luther King as a big humble hommage for all the respect I have for him. And because I would love to meet him, maybe do a movie about him will be like a substitut of this unrealisable meeting.

2. Maybe if The Black Dahlia wasn’t already a movie, I would have written my own adaptation, because it’s a very personnel book, and I’m afraid that someone who didn’t understand as I have, do a very bad movie.

But other books : The switch by Elmore Leonard or The ticket out by Helen Knode

3. Remake of The killer’s kiss by Kubrick. Because it’s his 2nd movie, and isn’t as succeeded as his next movies, maybe it needs of a remake, which will show this movie in a better style. Because it has very good ideas. But the remake must be perfect, in the other way, it will be an awful idea to have done this remake (vecause the original isnt’ that bad, on the contrary it is good enough to exist as itself) !

Very good topic, Bleach :smiley:

Bows thankfully

The remake part is hard. The movies I like are really good already and I don’t watch movies I don’t like. Yet I have a feeling that I want to remake something, I just don’t remember.

Well, I could remake The Messenger. It’s because I was really shocked to see the movie and because I admire Jeanne d’Arc. I’d make a gloomy old really long middle-age movie that is realistic as hell. It would be so great and it wouldn’t be called The Messenger.

No, I’d rather make a new movie about Jeanne d’Arc, YEAH, so the remake question still remains unsolved…

PERSON:Abbie Hoffman former Yippie leader of the 60’s. I’ve read so much about him and his efforts during the occupation of Vietnam. Steal this Book, is one of the coolest books you can read, but impossible to find. I went to find it in the library, but somebody stole it. LOL. Had to buy it. I’d love to film his underground days when he hid from the government 'cause he was up on charges. There would be enough drugs, sex and Woodstock/Altamont for everyone. Lennon, Stones you name it, he knew them all.

BOOK: The City by Clifford D. Simak. Classic collection of stories forming a novel about the end of Man and the rise of the Dogs. I did a radio program of the beginning of this story. It would be incredible to make a movie out of the entire book. The idea of ants, if left alone, building their own domes and cities underneath is so cool.

REMAKE:The Third Man(1949) classic Film Noir. Directed by Carol Reed. Starring Joseph Cotten and Orson Wells. Arriving in Vienna, Holly Martins (Cotten) learns that his friend Harry Lime (Wells), who has invited him, recently died in a car accident. A bit paranoid, this fim has great cinematography and atmosphere. I’d love to redo this film, simply for the zither music.

PERSON: Herman Brusselmans. I think he is the greatest writer of the dutch language. the movie would concentrate on his character

BOOK: can’t pick one right now

REMAKE: can’t pick one right now

[quote=“LetsGoToWork”]
PERSON: Herman Brusselmans. I think he is the greatest writer of the dutch language. the movie would concentrate on his character

[/quote]

what a great idea, Bleach should love him, hes gone back into depression too i’ve heard

that’s not good for him. But not for his readers, Brusselman’s books are at best when he is depressed…

bleach should like his style, but I wonder if translated versions of his books are as good as the original ones

PERSON: Ayrton Senna

BOOK: The Power and the Glory

REMAKE: The Changeling

person: salvatore “lucky” Luciano

book: the luciano story by sid feder and joachim joesten, murder inc. and some more books that carry info on luciano

remake: I don’t like remakes of good movies…all crappy movies should be remade though :stuck_out_tongue:

Horatio Nelson

Gates of Fire - Steven Pressfield

Beowulf

[quote=“Johny_Exhale”]
what a great idea, Bleach should love him, hes gone back into depression too i’ve heard
[/quote]

Haha, but I guess I’m never gonna read the books, only by a chance maybe. What’s up with the depression? I’m not depressive.

come on man, you re pretty much a negative nancy… :-*

[quote=“Bleach”]
Haha, but I guess I’m never gonna read the books, only by a chance maybe. What’s up with the depression? I’m not depressive.
[/quote]

not you, the writer, you’re too homicidal to be depressive

Come on, I’m nice. See, I use nice smileys :slight_smile:

:-*

Look, to prove that I’m nice, I put a nice looking sparrow in my avatar.

you mean that nice looking sparrow that killed that baby in The Birds?

Hahahhah, no.

Speaking of The Birds, do you know the real cause of the attacks? I guess lovebirds. Because Hitch himself said he didn’t want to make a science fiction movie, but a horror movie, so he left it without an explanation, while the real novel includes explanation.

But it was great anyway. Hitch had decided that in the last scene there would be the San Francisco bridge all covered in birds, the technology didn’t allow that as I know, or they didn’t want to spend money, yet I imagine how powerful would that look, oh god, great!