What are the movies that inspired "Grind House"?

i dont now where but we discusted at tarantino.info about the skull logo which is suposed to be on the car.

Yesterday i saw mad max 1 and i noticed that this skull

which appears in a scene in the beginning in the movie it lloks like Qt got inspiration from the mad max movies

Cool find! QT loves Australian Exploitation films and since DP is a car film, Id say it def has some of its cinematic roots in Mad Max.

Note: The skull logo on the DP car is actually the logo of a rock band called Death By Stereo.

I’ve read that the boys are going to do a piece within Grindhouse re. the missing reel of the Oliver Reed/Richard Widmark film “The Sell-Out”. Also, a interviewer said that DeathProof was like “Christine” meets “Long Day’s Journey Into Night” and Q. said “ya, but with more slasher elements!”.

DVD suggestion: Synapse’s “42nd Street Forever” series. There are at least 2 volumes so far. These DVDs are nothing but a collection of exploitation film trailers but they are entertaining none-the-less. :wink: Check 'em out! They’re a good (and cheap) primer re. exploitation films! :slight_smile:

Stir Crazy as in the one with richard pryor and gene wilder?

[quote=“SeanZombie”]
Stir Crazy as in the one with richard pryor and gene wilder?
[/quote]
Umm I dont think so.

i cant find it on IMDB.

Stir Crazy (1980) - IMDb

just like the kill bill references guide, we will also start one for grind house.

here’s the kill bill one, just as a reminder…

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.tarantino.info/wiki/index.ph … nces_Guide”>http://www.tarantino.info/wiki/index.php/Kill_Bill_References_Guide</LINK_TEXT>

We already started a Death Proof Pop Culture Connections topic in here, if you want to use that info to get the wiki one going.

BTW: I still cant get into the wiki and I have a whole new computer! :o

For Death Proof… you can add the three-girls formula films like the nurses, teachers, cheerleaders films… the last shot from the trailer with the three girls walking is a nod to those New World Pictures/Crown films from the early 70s which as far as I am concerned are the quintessence of 70s exploitation… :slight_smile: the nurses films from New World were first (New world started in 1970 with Jack Hill’s Big Doll house and the first nurses movie)… Night call nurses by Jonathan Kaplan is the best (this one is smg like a godard’s influenced sexy exploitation) but Private duty nurses by George Armitage is ok too (sam fuller is playing the bad guy in it)…

[quote=“PopeyePete”]
It probably will. I actually have never seen that one. All I know is that its a Canadian slasher film about a killer dressed as a coal miner. Gotta check it out sometime. <
[/quote]

I just thought I'd warn you PopeyePete that My Bloody Valentine is "rated" (censored) thanks to Paramount. And I've been told that Paramount intends to NEVER release an "unrated" version. They have a policy against releasing "unrated" versions of ANY of their films.

[quote=“PopeyePete”]
We already started a Death Proof Pop Culture Connections topic in here,[/quote]

This thread should be seperate from the Death Proof Pop Culture Connections topic IMHO. Just as long as people stick to naming films that've influenced Grindhouse.

" Me " you posted the link to Stir Crazy with richard pryor and gene wilder and i asked if it was that one and u said no lol, i dont know how a comedy inspired deathproof :expressionless:

[quote=“m_burlock”]

This thread should be seperate from the Death Proof Pop Culture Connections topic IMHO. Just as long as people stick to naming films that’ve influenced Grindhouse.
[/quote]

Well its a Movie and Pop Culture connections topic actually. We started it to try to build a list in there.

[quote=“PopeyePete”]
Well its a Movie and Pop Culture connections topic actually. We started it to try to build a list in there.
[/quote]

Then I shall check it out.

Planet Terror influences:

Nightmare City

Dawn of The Dead

Assault on Precinct 13

Escape From New York

Are these films purely based on your conjecture or were they mentioned by Robert? I understand Carpenter was a huge influence on Robert. Planet Terror has that post-apocalyptic ambiance as in Escape From New York.

They were all mentioned by RR except for Assault on P 13., but i know hes a huge fan of that movie and if you see Planet Terror youll notice theres a jail with imprisoned people who end up fighting the sickos.

Is Snake Pliskon sort of impersonated by any character in Planet Terror?, have any of you read the script? How can you people know so much when the movie hasen’t even been released yet?

Considering Kurt Russel is in Grindhouse :wink:

Noones playing Snake Plissken in GH. But Daryl Hannah was def playing him in Kill Bill. Watch EFNY and Kill Bill back to back and tell me Elle Driver isnt a female Snake.