Watchmen

Let’s just hope it actually gets released. FOX is being a total douche bag about this film. I mean, I understand if they feel they have the rights to distribute the movie they should fight for it, but why did they wait until the film was almost finished to say anything? Everyone and their mother’s known this film has been in production for a long time. To wait and try to claim rights to the near finished product is down right shitty.

If they win the rights and gain control of the movie I’ll probly end up having to boycott it.

I dunno, a couple of things have started to worry me with the project. I’ve only seen the trailer so we don’t know what’s going on, but hearing Rorschach refer to the “Crimebusters” as “Watchmen” irks me. The whole “Watchmen” title was always neat as something that never really played into the story, and the whole poem background is just another great piece of the mythos. I’ve also heard that they’re still not sure how they want to end the film, and it’s on the table whether or not they want to use the one from the book. Really, there is no other way to end Watchmen. It’s a little silly, possibly a little deus ex machina, but it IS Watchmen. It rips your heart out and it’s just too crazy not to have as the end of the film. I sincerely hope it remains the same.

[quote=“pantsman”]
I dunno, a couple of things have started to worry me with the project. I’ve only seen the trailer so we don’t know what’s going on, but hearing Rorschach refer to the “Crimebusters” as “Watchmen” irks me. The whole “Watchmen” title was always neat as something that never really played into the story, and the whole poem background is just another great piece of the mythos. I’ve also heard that they’re still not sure how they want to end the film, and it’s on the table whether or not they want to use the one from the book. Really, there is no other way to end Watchmen. It’s a little silly, possibly a little deus ex machina, but it IS Watchmen. It rips your heart out and it’s just too crazy not to have as the end of the film. I sincerely hope it remains the same.
[/quote]
I understand & share your concerns, pantsman. I suppose we’ll just hafta wait & see what happens at this point. :-</E>

Probably won’t see it until Sunday (if I can get a ride, damn car is down for the count), but any reactions yet? The critics have been split so far which has kind of surprised me since I’ve also read it’s pretty faithful to the book. I see Watchmen as a great work of fiction with a ton of really great ideas put to task and asking many great questions - but I’ve read two or three critics referring to the film as “juvenile”, something I wouldn’t consider the book to be in the very least. I’m curious how the films finale is carried out, as that could be the make or break moment. Gah, just wish I could watch it tonight to see for myself :stuck_out_tongue:

I just came back from it. It’s hands down one of the greatest films I ever laid eyes on. I never read the graphic novel, but the film was so cinematic and brilliant. I loved both Dawn of the Dead and 300 from Snyder, but this movie surpasses both, it’s like his Kill Bill.

it’s not juvenile, unless you consider uber-violence brought on by people in masks to be automatically juvenile.

I can already see assholes complaining that it is corny and campy. Fuck those people. Zack Snyder seems to have my kind of sensiblities. What most people consider “over the top” or “too much”, he considers "just about right."

and if he wants to have a sex scene with a Leonard Cohen song in the background, that’s also fine by me.

Watch this movie now.

It’s dramatic, it’s awesome, it’s violent, the writing (mostly due to Moore, I assume) is great, it works on an emotional level, on a visual level, etc. etc.

I made the choice to NOT read the graphic novel first. I will do this now.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
I just came back from it. It’s hands down one of the greatest films I ever laid eyes on. I never read the graphic novel, but the film was so cinematic and brilliant. I loved both Dawn of the Dead and 300 from Snyder, but this movie surpasses both, it’s like his Kill Bill.

it’s not juvenile, unless you consider uber-violence brought on by people in masks to be automatically juvenile.

I can already see assholes complaining that it is corny and campy. Fuck those people. Zack Snyder seems to have my kind of sensiblities. What most people consider “over the top” or “too much”, he considers "just about right."

and if he wants to have a sex scene with a Leonard Cohen song in the background, that’s also fine by me.

Watch this movie now.

It’s dramatic, it’s awesome, it’s violent, the writing (mostly due to Moore, I assume) is great, it works on an emotional level, on a visual level, etc. etc.

I made the choice to NOT read the graphic novel first. I will do this now.
[/quote]

That’s usually the better strategy, read the novel after seeing the movie. Adds a lot of background instead of being cheated of it. Though the movie really did seem kind of boring. I love the novel. It’s a brilliant piece of art, but the film seemed to be pandering to the novel too much. There was no interpretation. The acting aside from Cruddup, Haley and Wilson was terrible. I hated Malin Akerman, so wooden, so out of place and they omitted a lot of Silk Spectre II’s complexities and Mathew Goode was so bad, a friend who I went to see it with could tell from his first scene what was going to happen. And that Nixon almost made me walk out, that was just lazy filmmaking. I really liked certain sequences and then the momentum just got lost and it happened over and over again. Not to mention the changed ending makes no sense what so ever. But… it was a fairly entertaining romp, very campy and fun like Crazy Kennth, just not my cup of tea.

Please explain what is campy about this movie. The costumes? The choice of music? I can see how people would find this campy, although I disagree entirely. I find this subject most interesting, I’m actually doing a course this semester that is all about camp.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
Please explain what is campy about this movie. The costumes? The choice of music? I can see how people would find this campy, although I disagree entirely. I find this subject most interesting, I’m actually doing a course this semester that is all about camp.
[/quote]

Campy isn’t a negative, if that’s not your taste then it is, but it’s just an aesthetic choice. But I’d say it has a lot to do with the costumes and especially with the music, I’ve also noticed a lot of people talking about the music as well. Other than the opening montage, the music sticks out like a sore thumb. 99 luftballons?

yeah i guess it all comes down to personal taste. 99 Luftballons was surprising yes, but fitting. I loved all the music.

And I love that Zack Snyder has balls as huge as Oranges that allow him to pull this shit off, knowing exactly that many of this stuff will be off-putting, awkward, stupid, campy, or conry.

part of the reason i think people find stuff in movies corny, kitschy and campy is the total media saturation they have recieved. You might find a love scene stupid in a movie, because you have seen 327 love scenes before. That’s also the reason full-blown melodrama doesn’t work anymore with a western audience. It does however seem to work for japanese audiences.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
yeah i guess it all comes down to personal taste. 99 Luftballons was surprising yes, but fitting. I loved all the music.

And I love that Zack Snyder has balls as huge as Oranges that allow him to pull this shit off, knowing exactly that many of this stuff will be off-putting, awkward, stupid, campy, or conry.

part of the reason i think people find stuff in movies corny, kitschy and campy is the total media saturation they have recieved. You might find a love scene stupid in a movie, because you have seen 327 love scenes before. That’s also the reason full-blown melodrama doesn’t work anymore with a western audience. It does however seem to work for japanese audiences.
[/quote]
That’s very true. But I also just did not like the movie all that much. There was no interpretation, it’s barely an “adaption” it’s like… panel for panel. And I don’t think that constitutes a faithful adaption, faithful in ambition, faithful in idealogy, faithful in atmosphere, that’s a faithful adaption. I just felt the way he did it lost a lot of the imediacy and impact of the novel. When you finish up the novel, let me know what you thought of the ending. I’m really interested to hear other opinions about the change.

A friend of mine who read the GN said that it’s great, except that the ending is stupid and makes little sense, he felt that the ending in the movie is much better. I’m really looking forward to reading the whole thing myself.

My only problem with it was that some parts were so predictable I thought that we were supposed to already assume them anyway. I didn’t except certain things to be plot twists, because I thought we were already supposed to know them (and no, I’ve never read the comics).

Other than that and a few scenes that I just didn’t like, I thought it was a whole lot of fun. I wish I was watching it again right now. Rorschach’s scenes in the jail were my favorite. So badass in the best ways.

[quote=“FoxForceFive”]
I’m the only person in the world that didn’t like 300. But I’m still looking forward to this and those posters look great. Still a while to wait for it though!
[/quote]

I hate 300, it’s a racist comic.

[quote=“VikingWithNoName”]
I hate 300, it’s a racist comic.
[/quote]

yes, and Inglourious Basterds is jewish propaganda. ::slight_smile:

I hated 300. I fell asleep watching it the first time. It didn’t do anything for me. It didn’t hurt that one of my friends is Persian and has lived much of her life in Iran, and the depiction of Persians in it upset her quite a bit. I think Watchmen was a considerably better film.

So, for those who have seen it, are there any giant squids? From all I’ve read the ending has been changed, but I just want to be sure. :’(

no squids.

for anybody who still needs convincing, here is the brilliant opening sequence:

<LINK_TEXT text=“Motionographer yU+co: “Cirque du Freak” Main Title … en-titles/”>Motionographer yU+Co: The Watchmen Titles</LINK_TEXT>

The ending change is not better. I think the squid itself was lame, but what the squid represents makes the ending plausible. Without the squid the ending makes no sense and the whole masterplan is flawed.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
yes, and Inglourious Basterds is jewish propaganda. ::slight_smile:
[/quote]

Yes, it is. But many(not all) WWII-movies tends to demonize germans, like many(not all) vietnam-movies tends to demonize the people of vietnam. In fact, it happens in almost all war movies. All quiet on the west front and Goodmorning Vietnam did not do that.

But 300 is worse than other movies, becouse it’s one of two movies ever that tells the story of that war, making people think it happened that way.

I dunno, last time I saw 300 it had giant-ass monsters and looked like a comic-book, not a documentary.

I get sick with movies demonizing germans like everybody else in their right mind does, but IB, just like 300, does not try to be historically accurate or have any kind of historical relevance. I mean if it did, it would surprise me. I guess it will be like the Wonder Woman TV-show in that respect.

off to see Watchmen a 2nd time