Was Budd happy?

[quote=“Bierbommetje”]
Well, if she knew she had the knife in her boot why did she go into so much panic if she knew that she could untie herself in a jiffy.
[/quote]

Ahh, wouldn’t you be scared anyway? Imagine three crazy lumberjacks running at you from three different sides. Even if you had a machinegun, you’d be scared, well, I would be scared. And even this situation is not so bad, she had to get the knife, cut ropes, break through the chest and get out.

Hey, we are talking the deadliest woman in the world, who’s had years of training from Pai Mai.

She might be claustriphobic though

Claustrophobic?? She was in a goddamn coffin, that’s not like some kind of cabinet! She could cut other man’s face or chop his arms off, but she still is a woman, and the atmosphere in a coffin, buried under the ground is not what even a professional killer can stand.

Well, I dunno, ive never been a professional killer, nor have I ever met one

But yeah, I guess anyone would panic in such a situation

I don’t think that Budd gave the the knife. I saw Vol 1 today (again) and the knife was from Chapter 2. It looked like the same blade the Bride used to sliced Buck’s achilles tondon. Or maybe QT was just paying an homage to his own film (or Volume) :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]
Personally though I dont think he was  happy, I think that somewhere along the track he’d had some sort of an apitheme,or something had happed to make him realise what terrible things he’d done, and now he was punishing himself. He wasnt so much satisfied as determined that this is how he should now live his life (kinda like paying a penance)
[/quote]

I have to agree with this take on the subject. Bud wasn’t happy, I believe he was paying penance for what he did to Kiddo. As for the flashlight. That was nothing more than sympathy. He gave her a choice, flashlight or no flashlight as if to say, ‘I trying to do the right thing her, don’t fuck it up.’

I don’t think that Budd was happy either. He’s just resigned to accept that his life is just the way it is and it’s going to take a whole lotta effort to make it better and he’s prolly too pissed to bother. I mean, it’s not totally tragic and like he’s starving to death on the streets or anything. It could be better but don’t have a cow, man.

I agree. I don’t think Budd was happy at all. But he just couldn’t be fucked to change his life.

I think Budd was masochistic

Budd knew what they did to Beatrix was wrong, killing all those people and leaving her for dead. At the same time, he told her “this is for breaking my brother’s heart”, so in the end what she did was wrong as well, leaving Bill behind with their baby. Everyone is guilty of some wrongdoing in this story, so Budd’s right. She does deserve her revenge after all. But she still deserved what she got, at least to an extent. Breaking the heart of a killer isn’t the wisest move she could’ve made, but she felt she had no choice, so I don’t blame her. She made the right decision, but had to face the consequences of that decision later on.

I hate to sound naive, but Budd represented the Buddha, so of course that man was happy to be venged upon by Muhammed Aliatrix, and I guess finally that amazon.

He left his mother and newborn child back in dad’s castle and spent the rest of his life wandering around like Citizen Kane in Kung Fu propagating a false doctrine which encouraged men to turn inward in a foolish search for peace while neglecting their wordly duties. Did you ever hear about the Buddha having a wife? A child? A girlfriend even? Supposedly the man said if you see the Buddha on the road kill him. He was a suicide waiting to happen, but because of so many years of disuse he no longer had the balls to pull it off on his own.

I remember reading a synopsis of Kill Bill 2 somewhere and it said that Budd wasted his life, I assumed that he was slightly guilty about the wedding massacre and perhaps there were other elements to it, he may have become lazy or inefficient or just didn’t give a damn. I thought that “A Satisfied Mind” was playing to contrast with Budd’s life, not make a statement about it. It seems like he’s unhappy, whether he still feels guilty or disappointed with how low his life has sunk (from a lethal assassin to cleaning toilets in a strip club). It’s really hard to say as the characters are still quite mysterious to us. Why did he have such a crap job? Did he have no other choice finanically or did he want to do any sort of work apart from killing? I definately think he was dissatisfied though.

I also think that he gave Beatrix the flashlight to give her a small chance of survival, if he had known for sure that she would have escaped then there wasn’t much point as she would probably have came to kill him anyway, and he would have been just as well killing her on the spot. Instead he felt giving her an opportunity levelled the playing field between them, that by offering her some mercy was better than gunning her down when she was defenceless (both during the wedding and outside his trailer). That way, if she managed to escape and came after him again, he felt that he would be within his rights to defend himself, and if she wasn’t able to escape, he did give her a chance, again alleviating his guilt.

I don’t think that Budd provided her with the knife, if he didn’t know about it then it confirms my theory that he wanted to give her a slight opportunity.

I don’t think that Beatrix would have shown him any mercy, though. I think in a way what she did to Elle was worse than death. Having both of your eyes removed would be extremely painful and it would definately hurt her pride, a mighty assassin reduced to relying on others to look after her, plus she may not have survived, and been bitten by the snake or something. Beatrix seemed to offer small mercies to some of the DVAS, such as not deliberately killing Vernita in front of her daughter, and I felt there was some kind of understanding reached between her and O-Ren during their fight, especially whenever O-Ren apologised for insulting her. I felt there was more of an animosity with Elle, the others she wanted to kill because of what they had done to her, but I felt almost like they were rivals before the wedding massacre. I think Beatrix would certainly have exacted some sort of revenge on Budd had she got to him before Elle did.

I always wondered why the DVAS seemed to disband after the massacre… Vernita became a housewife, O-Ren set her sights on the Yakuza, Budd retreated… perhaps some of them were guilty about what they did?