VOTE NOW! Where are you from? VOTE NOW!

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
Actually, I am not a redneck. No pickup truck. I drive a volvo and have a Louis Vuitton wallet. So kiss my ass.
[/quote]

larry the cable guy drives a lexus

what did they say that a red-neck was?

[quote=“thecrazy88”]
hahaha, lili, what level of english are you learning…? :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

Believe me very high level ! But I didn’t know the word… Well, I feel a bit… sh#tty right now :-</E>

redneck

A slang term, usually for a rural white southerner who is politically conservative, racist, and a religious fundamentalist (see fundamentalism). This term is generally considered offensive. It originated in reference to agricultural workers, alluding to how the back of a person’s neck will be burned by the sun if he works long hours in the fields.

Well, maybe I am a redneck!

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
Believe me very high level ! But I didn’t know the word… Well, I feel a bit… sh#tty right now :-</E>
[/quote]
Haha, maybe you don’t get to hear that much English on tv and so in France. But I only watch English/American tv-shows so I pick up lots of words from that. It’s not really a word I would see myself learning in school, but well, i’ve always thought of the English lessons in school as a very low level.

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
redneck

A slang term, usually for a rural white southerner who is politically conservative, racist, and a religious fundamentalist (see fundamentalism). This term is generally considered offensive. It originated in reference to agricultural workers, alluding to how the back of a person’s neck will be burned by the sun if he works long hours in the fields.

Well, maybe I am a redneck!
[/quote]

thank you :wink:

[quote=“thecrazy88”]
Haha, maybe you don’t get to hear that much English on tv and so in France. But I only watch English/American tv-shows so I pick up lots of words from that. It’s not really a word I would see myself learning in school, but well, i’ve always thought of the English lessons in school as a very low level.
[/quote]

Dog, house, cat, red-neck, bird, …

In the northern states they make fun of people with Polish origin (Pollocks) the way that we make fun of Rednecks in the south. Texas is really not considered the south. Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia would be considered the south. Florida and Texas are far more advanced culturally than the other southern states which would make it unfair to group them all together.

[quote=“Johny|Exhale”]
thank you :wink:
[/quote]
sarcasm is a motherfucker!

If being a religious and racist person makes you redneck than I am not. And by the way Im not the local southerner, Its funny when you mention a name like Lou Reed or Iggy Pop and people have this weird expression on their face and say, " who’s that " Oh they are nobody just the one’s who have created PUNK MUSIC! ;D

[quote=“me”]
If being a religious and racist person makes you redneck than I am not. And by the way Im not the local southerner, Its funny when you mention a name like Lou Reed or Iggy Pop and people have this werid expression on their face and say, " who’s that " Oh they are nobody just the one’s who have created PUNK MUSIC! ;D
[/quote]
I remember there was a baseball player from one of the northern states who played for a Memphis minor league team. When they asked him how he liked Memphis he said “it’s a great place with a lot of musical history, even though I’m not a big fan of Elvis Costello” The fans booed him until they traded his ass to somewhere else.

[quote=“thecrazy88”]
[/quote]

I do watch, hear and read a lot of English, but I have to admit, I’ll never really pay attention to this word. Of course I heard it before (ahaa I’m not that s#cky) but I’ve never tried to understand it, I mean wasn’t useful… :stuck_out_tongue:

And yeah I didn’t learn English trough school lessons. Even if I’m in a very high level English, I always try to learn by myself.

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
I remember there was a baseball player from one of the northern states who played for a Memphis minor league team. When they asked him how he liked Memphis he said “it’s a great place with a lot of musical history, even though I’m not a big fan of Elvis Costello” The fans booed him until they traded his ass to somewhere else.
[/quote]

Thats crazy people take shit to serious.

I thought that you non-Americans would like further information about rednecks. Here is the skinny: the civil war in the United States (1860-1865) was between the north and the south - divided by the Mason/Dixon line. The north kicked the south’s ass. There are actually people(rednecks) who are still angry about this fact. They drive chevrolet pickups made 25 years ago and have stickers on the rear window with a picture of the Confederate Flag(the flag flown by the south) with the words “HELL NO I ANIT FORGETTING” It is all very comical and most people dont take it seriously…except for asshole african-american leaders like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton who make it a point to attempt to remove the Confederate flag from any place that they see it. Aint this country fuckin’ cool?

why shouldnt the confederate flag be removed? The confederacy is fucking over with and all that stupid flag does is encourage redneck dumbasses to be redneck dumbasses. fuck that flag, get that shit outta here

There are several states whose flags have the confederate flag in them such as Mississippi. These flags were designed long before the civil war and are in no way symbols of racism. In addition, the civil war wasn’t even about slavery. The civil war was due to the debate over states’ rights and soverignty. The northern states had been converted to industrialism and the south had not. This caused a skewed level of competition between the states which needed to be evened out according to the Union. Sure, slavery was part of the reason for the civil war, but it was reallly more of a “hot topic” that was used to motivate people into becoming brothers in arms.

Here is a picture of the Mississipp flag. There is a group lobbying to have it changed on account of it having “racist symbolism”. These people need to get a life.

People have the right to free speach. But the state flag is a governmental issue, and thus, any flag showing the confederate symbol should be changed since its univerally accepted that its is synonomous with racism. Just ask someone who has it on their truck what it means to them.

Some people even hang It on their house, thats taking It to far In my opinion.

I’ll never forget the bumber stick I saw in Minneapolis (and I don’t know why I didn’t buy it while I was there).

It had an ‘X’ through the confederate flag. It also said: "Get Over It. We Won."

Just one of those precious little moments.

[quote=“WeaselCo”]
People have the right to free speach. But the state flag is a governmental issue, and thus, any flag showing the confederate symbol should be changed since its univerally accepted that its is synonomous with racism. Just ask someone who has it on their truck what it means to them.
[/quote]
I don’t really care what some moron who has a confederate flag stuck to the back of his 82 Chevy Truck thinks, nor do I think that his opinion should influence changing the flags of several states which are a part of those states’ heritage and history. These states are not just a bunch of red-necks that burn crosses and wear pointed white hats. As a matter of fact, these kind of people are about as rare as unicorns these days. I live in the south and I will tell you that most people do not accept racism and choose to distance themselves from racists. Why should their flags be changed just because of a few idiots?