Vol 1 - Oct 10! Vol 2 - Feb 20 '04

The wait is ok by me. If I like the first volume, I’ll want to see it in the theatres at least two or three times. If I hate it, it’ll give me time to recover.

I always thought the 10/31/03 release for Kill Bill v. 2 was more of a fanboy wet dream than an actual possibility. They have to have space between the two for marketing reasons and exhibition reasons. Kind of reminds me of when Lucas released the Star Wars special editions so close together and they moved the release of ROTJ back a few weeks to give ESB more breathing room.

The whole Oscar issue complicates it as well. The Weinsteins are Oscar whores, so who knows what they are going to try and pull to get the maximum award potential. One option I have heard rumored is a limited run of the two volumes put together to qualify for an Oscar as one film.

This weird situation with KB is going to require a shit load of publicity to explain it to john q. public. I can seriously see a bunch of people buying tickets for volume 2 witout having seen V1 and being all pissed off about it. People are kinda stupid out there.

Is there a possibility that they’ll release the two movies like planned, and then when it dies out in theatres, they re-release it again in theatres as one movie? It’s a stretch but it doesn’t sound illogical. They’re re-releasing Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and The Italian Job, so could this happen for Kill Bill? I mean it’s not like QT is gonna release the dvd as soon as it dies in theatres. I prolly won’t release the dvd till Inglorious Bastards comes out, he loves it when we wait. So is a re-release possible? It’s not important, just curious.

Ok, I’ve read the article concerning the splitting of Kill Bill, but I still don’t understand it. Why are they doing it? Is it really that long? If vol 1 is in the 94 min range, and vol 2 is supposed to be around the same length…then that’s only 188 minutes all together. Why split it up? Magnolia was 188 minutes. Green Mile was 188 minutes. All three LOTR movies are 180 minutes. None of those were split in half. Hell, Branagh’s version of Hamlet was over 4 hours and as far as I know that didn’t even have an intermission. So…why???

As for Kill Bill being nominated for an Oscar…I doubt it. It doesn’t seem like the kind of movie the Academy would vote for. Besides, the Oscars are a joke, anyway.

Dead Nigga Storrage has an interesting idea…

maybe if they have Kill Bill pt. 1 in October 18th then pt. 2 November 18th…then like what Nigga storage said…maybe they can release it later as a WHOLE.

Maybe then it can qualify for an Oscar, or can it not since it was already released, just split

[quote]

This weird situation with KB is going to require a shit load of publicity to explain it to john q. public.  I can seriously see a bunch of people buying tickets for volume 2 witout having seen V1 and being all pissed off about it.  People are kinda stupid out there.[/quote]Yeah, I bet there’ll be people who go to see this thing and leave going “fuck… I didn’t know there was going to be a second part” even thought it’s called Kill Bill Vol. 1.

[quote]Ok, I’ve read the article concerning the splitting of Kill Bill, but I still don’t understand it. Why are they doing it? Is it really that long? If vol 1 is in the 94 min range, and vol 2 is supposed to be around the same length…then that’s only 188 minutes all together. Why split it up? Magnolia was 188 minutes. Green Mile was 188 minutes. All three LOTR movies are 180 minutes. None of those were split in half. Hell, Branagh’s version of Hamlet was over 4 hours and as far as I know that didn’t even have an intermission. So…why???
[/quote]

I saw Branagh’s Hamlet in the theatres (when the fuck is that coming out on dvd, anyway?) and it had an intermission. Quentin has stated in numeroudsinterviews that he felt a three hour grindhouse movie was just too pretentious. He showed the first 90 or so minutes to Weinstein, and the guy reportedly said “that’s your movie. That’s the first movie”. I have also read in several reports(the CNN article about the oscar race, for one) that QT has not finished the final editing on the last 90 minutes, and it would not be ready in time for a 10/10/03 release. I wish I hadn’t been so damned starstruck when I saw him at the con or I would have asked him myself. How embarrassing.

[quote]It wouldn’t be half the movie, it would be the first movie. check out some of the other topics, there are a lot regarding this topic and an article in CNN[/quote]

It is half the movie because it’s one movie chopped in half or (divided) whichever way you look at it.  Don’t forget Kill Bill was filmed and planned as one movie.  Thanks for the CNN article tip though… still doesn’t really explain how both halves of Kill Bill qualify for the Oscars when only one half is out in time though.

[quote]

I saw Branagh’s Hamlet in the theatres (when the fuck is that coming out on dvd, anyway?) and it had an intermission.  Quentin has stated in numeroudsinterviews that he felt a three hour grindhouse movie was just too pretentious.  He showed the first 90 or so minutes to Weinstein, and the guy reportedly said “that’s your movie.  That’s the first movie”.  I have also read in several reports(the CNN article about the oscar race, for one) that QT has not finished the final editing on the last 90 minutes, and it would not be ready in time for a 10/10/03 release.  I wish I hadn’t been so damned starstruck when I saw him at the con or I would have asked him myself.  How embarrassing.[/quote]

I heard that Branagh's Hamlet is coming out sometime next year, but it was only a rumor. I was in an FYE store the other day and saw the VHS for $5.

As for a three-hour grindhouse movie being pretentious....well, I don't think so. I'm pretty much assuming that the bulk of the audience for this film are Tarantino fans. I don't really think this will play to mainstream audiences too well. Probably too violent for one. So, I don't really think that QT's fans would think a three-hour grindhouse epic would be pretentious.

I'm just hoping that when DVD time comes, it's released as one movie and not two. But still, either way, if this movie rocks, then I probably won't care how it gets released. :)

[quote]Thanks for the CNN article tip though… still doesn’t really explain how both halves of Kill Bill qualify for the Oscars when only one half is out in time though.[/quote]

re-read! it only qualifies as one movie if the academy decides to deal with it as one movie. each of the parts can only qualifiy if they have a specific running time in 2003

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=1288

Miramax has set the release for the Quentin Tarantino-directed Kill Bill: Volume 2 for February 20, 2004. Kill Bill: Volume 1 will be released on October 10, and there was speculation both halves would be released this year.

Aside from marketing considerations, the split decision has awards implications. “Volume 1” is eligible for Oscars this year and “Volume Two” will be eligible next year. Oscar voters will no longer have to weigh two halves of this franchise that would have been competing for the same vote.

There are two “Matrix” films being released this year, however only The Matrix Revolutions is eligible for an Oscar as Warner Bros. did not submit The Matrix Reloaded for consideration.

That’s 5 months! Wah wah wha wha! There, I bitched first.

:-/ Didn’t Quentin once say he wanted the two parts playing at the same time? I doubt Volume 1 will still be in thetares after 5 months.

THAT is finally something where we can say: Fuck Miramax, fuck the industry, fuck the oscars. This decision was surely NOT Quentin’s.

But in my personal opinion, I don’t whine about that, because I will surely watch Kill Bill Vol1 a thousand times and will be very busy with the website and other hobbies, and the 5 months will go by pretty fast. There’s also a script to read (again), a soundtrack to listen to and lots of merchandise to play with :slight_smile:

I read this and I almost died from shock.

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?! THIS IS THE BIGGEST LOAD OF COCK SHIT I’VE EVER HEARD!!!

I WAS GONNA THINK I’D HANDLE WAITING TILL DECEMBER…BUT FEBRUARY?! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH MIRAMAX? FUCK THEM! FUCK THEM TO DEATH THOSE PIECES OF FUCKING SHIT!!! I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU!! THIS IS FUCKING GAY…FUCK THEM.

GOD THIS IS RETARDED…I’M SERIOUSLY PISSED OFF AND DEPRESSED CAUSE OF THIS. GOD THIS IS GAY. DOESN’T TARANTINO HAVE SAY?! WHATS HIS OPINION ON THIS GAY SHIT?!

I gotta say, this is fuckin gay! Waiting until February?!

Its gayer than a gayass gay with gay looking gay stuff!!!

GAY!!!

that’s some minor league psyche out shit maing! fuck dat bullshit

[quote]I gotta say, this is fuckin gay! Waiting until February?!

Its gayer than a gayass gay with gay looking gay stuff!!!

GAY!!![/quote]

Yeah...what he said. I'm an impatient motherfucker. Waiting is fucking gay.

[quote]There’s also a script to read (again), [/quote]

About that script...I'm assuming that it's the shooting draft, but do you have any idea if it'll be the draft prior to the on-set changes, or will it also have the on-set changes?

Thanks for deleting the thread of this news i started.

5 months sucks very much. When i told a few of my friends they agreed overwhelmingly. We were supposed to get one 3 hour film - not two 90 minute films 5 months apart. Once again money wins out. Will i see them - definitely. Can i do anything but whine about this shit? Probably but it does suck majorly. A December release would have been good, anything after that it just not good enough.

QT better leave the movie off at an OUTSTANDING CLIFFHANGER CONCLUSION otherwise i doubt many people will be fucked to see Volume 2 FIVE WHOLE MONTHS after the original. Although i may be wrong as Matrix is doing the same shit.

How suprising Harry Knowles hasnt posted the news on AICN - he knows the talkbacks will unleash a fury upon Miramax and probably QT.

[quote] QT better leave the movie off at an OUTSTANDING CLIFFHANGER CONCLUSION otherwise i doubt many people will be fucked to see Volume 2 FIVE WHOLE MONTHS after the original. Although i may be wrong as Matrix is doing the same shit…[/quote]

The ending of Volume 1 isnt really a “cliffhanger” its more of just a nice ending to the first part that won’t totally piss people off.

I think Volume 1 will be so crazy and fun, people wont need a cliffhanger scene to be interested in seeing Volume 2.

Doesnt matter, I’m gonna see Volume 1 a bunch of times, so that will carry me until February.

Guys, we (US) have a month left until Kill Bill Pt 1!!! BE HAPPY!!! :slight_smile: